DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
Yea don’t knock it till you’ve tried it, been using SSD’s in most of my 24’s for years now thanks to Rich- see my sig. The 24’s after time slowed down and sucked with HDD’s, and now back to fast and don’t slow down with SSD’s.
One of these days you really should take the Directv Stream app for a test drive. What I thought about my HRs with the SSDs in them went right out the window. The DVR function on the streaming app is awesome. I compared a Mets game on my 44 to the same game recorded on the streamer...and I've never used an HR since that day. One comparison was all it took. The DVR function is fast, faster than any physical DVR I've ever used. Absolutely no rain fade. Watching a ball game on the streaming box is like watching a movie on Netflix. No audio or video breakups, all you see is a very stable picture.

The Osprey remote is faster than any D* remote I've ever used. Faster and far more responsive. It could be better, it's a black remote with black buttons, in a dark room it's damn near impossible to see anything on it. It's a bit too small, the buttons seem cramped. I've gotten used to it, but I'd like to see D* make a remote for it, designed in the same manner as the older R68s.

I gotta admit it bothers me when I look at the empty spaces where my HRs used to be, I never expected this to happen.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,725 Posts
One of these days you really should take the Directv Stream app for a test drive. What I thought about my HRs with the SSDs in them went right out the window. The DVR function on the streaming app is awesome. I compared a Mets game on my 44 to the same game recorded on the streamer...and I've never used an HR since that day. One comparison was all it took. The DVR function is fast, faster than any physical DVR I've ever used. Absolutely no rain fade. Watching a ball game on the streaming box is like watching a movie on Netflix. No audio or video breakups, all you see is a very stable picture.

The Osprey remote is faster than any D* remote I've ever used. Faster and far more responsive. It could be better, it's a black remote with black buttons, in a dark room it's damn near impossible to see anything on it. It's a bit too small, the buttons seem cramped. I've gotten used to it, but I'd like to see D* make a remote for it, designed in the same manner as the older R68s.

I gotta admit it bothers me when I look at the empty spaces where my HRs used to be, I never expected this to happen.
DirecTv Stream is all good, but there are several reasons right now why I’m not switching yet, ranging from-

-No STMax. It’s needed at our house.
-NFL Network a requirement.
-4K programming at the touch of the same remote as DirecTV Sat.
-Wife wants to hit a channel number for all she watches and records, not switching to different remotes/streaming services and she uses whole home DVR all the fricking time. I’m not upsetting that Apple Card.
-Wife doesn’t want to watch TV on her phone while she reads the entire internet each and every day!
-Many if our TV’s are not Smart TV’s- and yes we have a crapload of HDTV TV’s.
-Multiple geographic locations. Not all areas for us have decent broadband (cell/hot spot not an option either).
-Lastly we just had our daughter’s HS graduation party at our house before she leaves for college. While playing music in house, garage, outdoor deck, etc., all pics from her through the years were displaying on those TV’s from our HR24’s which still have the ‘music and photos’ extras tied to our computer.

There’s more, but I’ve touched on enough for now. We will be streaming at some point in the near future, then I can add all my DirecTV IRD’s to my DirecTV museum of equipment dating back to 1998. 😀🤦🏻‍♂️😎

Reactions: MysteryMan

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
I'm sure you're referring to DirecTV Stream but my wife would lose her mind if I told her she'd lose her recordings from our HR24s if we made the switch. :eek:
My wife felt the same way. I bought the streaming boxes and set one up for her, and she's never had a problem with the remote or the service. Which shocked me. She always had problems with using the satellite service, but the streaming service is so easy to adapt to she got it right away. She didn't say a word when I took her DVR and put it in our shed. Not one word about recordings or anything else.

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
DirecTv Stream is all good, but there are several reasons right now why I’m not switching yet, ranging from-

-No STMax. It’s needed at our house.
-NFL Network a requirement.
-4K programming at the touch of the same remote as DirecTV Sat.
-Wife wants to hit a channel number for all she watches and records, not switching to different remotes/streaming services and she uses whole home DVR all the fricking time. I’m not upsetting that Apple Card.
-Wife doesn’t want to watch TV on her phone while she reads the entire internet each and every day!
-Many if our TV’s are not Smart TV’s- and yes we have a crapload of HDTV TV’s.
-Multiple geographic locations. Not all areas for us have decent broadband (cell/hot spot not an option either).
-Lastly we just had our daughter’s HS graduation party at our house before she leaves for college. While playing music in house, garage, outdoor deck, etc., all pics from her through the years were displaying on those TV’s from our HR24’s which still have the ‘music and photos’ extras tied to our computer.

There’s more, but I’ve touched on enough for now. We will be streaming at some point in the near future, then I can add all my DirecTV IRD’s to my DirecTV museum of equipment dating back to 1998. 😀🤦🏻‍♂️😎
I stopped betting on NFL games and I don't need the ST anymore. We get plenty of games each week. But I understand, if I didn't root for NY teams, I'd need it. Is it gonna be on D* this season? I thought I'd read something about it being on a different platform.

I didn't understand the 4K statement.

The Osprey remote and the box are similar to an HS17 in some ways. Neither is a true DVR, the C71KW-400 is a receiver that can access a cloud DVR. Aside from that, I don't see many differences between the C71 and an HR. As far as I know pretty much everything else is the same. You can use the C71's apps to stream but I prefer the ATVs for streaming. The only difference between the C71 and a 24 is the C71 gets it's content online vs receiving content from a satellite. The operating system is like a Genie's OS. The Guide is the same, all the channel numbers are the same.
This is D* supercharged.

Do you want MRV, multi-room-viewing? With the C71, you get MRV like you've never had. No cables, no SWIMs. Just the ability to go from one TV to the TV in another room without missing a beat.

When I finally decided to try the streaming service, I didn't expect much. I figured I'd give it a shot and that would be the end of it. I didn't have the equipment to try it; on top of that, the free trial is only five days. Not enough time to make such an important decision. But, I took the free trial and used an ATV to navigate. I saw enough to make me buy five C71s, each came with the Osprey remote. Then, I could see how much better the steaming service was.

This isn't YTTV or Slingbox, this is the same D* we've been using for years with a modification. D*S is something I never expected; I had no intention of subscribing; I was curious. In this case, curiosity killed the satellite signal.

I have to admit, taking my DVRs out of service wasn't easy. But, it was time.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
I stopped betting on NFL games and I don't need the ST anymore. We get plenty of games each week. But I understand, if I didn't root for NY teams, I'd need it. Is it gonna be on D* this season? I thought I'd read something about it being on a different platform.
It is still on DirecTV for this season. Next season it will be elsewhere. No one knows where yet. Front runners seem to be Apple and Amazon with Disney+ and Google at the back of the pack. Google was late to the party to make an offer but I suppose if they offer enough cash anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
It is still on DirecTV for this season. Next season it will be elsewhere. No one knows where yet. Front runners seem to be Apple and Amazon with Disney+ and Google at the back of the pack. Google was late to the party to make an offer but I suppose if they offer enough cash anything is possible.
And, this is the end of getting it without cost.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts