DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a couple of questions as I'm about to get a HR24 and new TV.

1. Until I can get a new dish, will I get any HD content? I currently have the elliptical 3-LNB setup. And 2. What role will the SWM or lack thereof play in receiving HD....I also understand I may need b band converters? Thanks for any assistance!

T

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
You have to have a dish with an LNB that can receive a signal from the 99 and 103 satellite locations in order to get HD.

If you don't have SWM then you will need BBCs in order to get HD channels (unless you have an HR23/H23 which never needs BBCs).

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
There are two types/styles of elliptical dish. The older 3-LNB Phase III dish which views satellites 101, 110 and 119, and the newer Slimline dish, which views satellites 99, 101, and 103 (and a version that adds 110 and 119 to that).

You can get more information on the dishes here: http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/Dish, Multiswitch and Cable FAQ.pdf

You need the Slimline dish to get HD with an HR24.

There are also conventional/multiswitch versions of the LNB and SWiM versions of the LNB. The SWiM version provides single line (1 coax) service to your receivers/DVRs. The multiswitch version requires the use of a small pigtail device b-band converter) behind the DVR on each satellite input.

The Slimline dish uses a different mount than the older dish, so if you have the older dish you will need a complete new dish and mount.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.