DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Godfather
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
Long time member but I haven't been on in a while. I had 2 HR24 drives die over the weekend. After a long ordeal with DTV, I discovered that they won't replace them (a big thread about this on here). They want to send me Genie clients and I can't stand Genies. I really want HR24.

I have seen many posts regarding swapping the internal drive. I am fairly computer literate and the hardware part of this should be a breeze.

My question is: do I need to do anything to the drive? Does it need an O/S on it? Do I need to format it? Also, will any 1TB SSD work? (I've had good luck with Samsungs) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Godfather
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any SSD should work. The HR24 will format the drive and install anything needed on it. No need to format or put on OS on it.
Thank you! That sounds easy enough and then I will have faster performing DVRs as an added bonus.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,731 Posts
Hey folks,
Long time member but I haven't been on in a while. I had 2 HR24 drives die over the weekend. After a long ordeal with DTV, I discovered that they won't replace them (a big thread about this on here). They want to send me Genie clients and I can't stand Genies. I really want HR24.

I have seen many posts regarding swapping the internal drive. I am fairly computer literate and the hardware part of this should be a breeze.

My question is: do I need to do anything to the drive? Does it need an O/S on it? Do I need to format it? Also, will any 1TB SSD work? (I've had good luck with Samsungs) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
I started on the SSD train a couple years ago with 8 Samsung 1TB SSD’s on my 24’s, but started replacing with WD Green and Blue SSD’s after a couple issues the Sammys gave me. I still have a couple Sammys going fine, but absolutely zero issues with the WD’s if that helps. I use all external drives for them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The internal CAP of an HR24 is over 2TB, I have put Seagate BarraCuda’s of 4TB and 5TB before in the HR24 and they work great. I can also tell the DVR uses all of this space as trying to use GParted and copy from a 4TB to 2TB will result in insufficient space. I don’t know how much testing y’all have done, but every HR24 that I have come across will always accept INTERNAL drives of over 2TB. I believe EXTERNAL has a cap of 2TB though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey folks,

Thanks,
i just replaced one of my hr24 just last week. when did they stop replacing them?

·
Godfather
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just replaced one of my hr24 just last week. when did they stop replacing them?
No clue. Customer service wouldn't budge. Said that the Genie clients are my only option. Retention said the same thing. I have an HR54 and I basically use it as a regular DVR. I can't stand Genie clients.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you could post the info 10 years ago ... (y)

Now, if you have 10 or 16 TB drive...:)
I'll let you know soon! I'm pushing this hard drive storage and recording things 24/7 lol. It is owned so technically I should have this a long time. Now to see if I can somehow change or modify the built-in HR24 system clock to gain infinite access to DVR recordings once it is deactivated or once DIRECTV satellite finally ends.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
Sure, here are the pictures of the drives being used as well as the HR24 and my dinosaur D11-500 lol. The video of GParted version 0.4.6.1 is here: GParted 0.4.6-1 with 4TB and 5TB drives HR24.mov
It seems odd that the big partition shows up as an "unknown" filesystem in GParted and there is an XFS partition present. Apparently they're using something other than EXT nowadays.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts