DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,982 Posts
about how full does a ssd have to be before it becomes an issue?
That depends on the set-aside configured in the SSD but the more the better. Getting above 80% is considered a bad idea in the computer side of things. Some recommend 50% but that gets expensive.

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
The concern with SSDs is when the drive capacity gets loaded up. When there are few unused blocks to write to, the drive either has to shift everything around or beat on the few blocks that it has free. Neither is a desirable situation but if you aren't sloppy about maintaining your library, they can be avoided.
No, that's not how it works at all. Once again talking technical stuff when you know nothing.

It isn't going to lead to increased "wear" on the SSD if you keep it 100% full all the time, the DVR deletes old recordings to make room and even if the DVR "thinks" it is writing to the same blocks the SSD won't be. Those who want to be educated instead of slinging ignorant bull**** like you can google "flash translation layer".

·
Legend
1,233 Posts
Well, after reading everyone talk about how swapping out the HR24 hard drive for an SSD breathes new life into this old hardware, I decided to take the plunge.

First decision was which SSD to choose. I have always had very good luck with Samsung, so I browsed the current Samsung SSD offerings. My HR54 has been running a 2TB Samsung QVO SSD for well over a year with no issues (it is in an external eSATA enclosure). I was unfamiliar with the difference between QVO and EVO SSD's, so I found this explanation: Samsung QVO vs. EVO: SSD differences explained | Digital Trends. Based on this, the EVO seems to be the better choice (there is only a $5 difference between the two 2TB models). However, since the HR54 is my primary DVR, I decided to swap out the QVO for a 2TB EVO drive, and then move the QVO to the bedroom HR24.

The drive swap on the HR54 was trivial. Open the external eSATA enclosure, slip in the mew deive, amd boot up the HR54. After formatting the new drive, everything is working perfectly. Of course, there is quite a bit of work setting up favorite channel lists, seasons passes, etc. (after the guide populates), but I have done this many tomes before.

Next came the HR24. I have opened a HR24 case before, but it has been several years. Nevertheless, I wrassled it into submission, removed the old hard drive, and connected the new QVO SSD. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a drive caddy for local purchase. I have used this one before--its a really nice one.

Font Rectangle Gadget Technology Electronic device

So, I temporarily simply laid the SDD on top of the foam insert, connected the cables, and closed the case. I know this is only temporary--I ordered the drive caddy and will install it when it arrives.

As with the HR54, the HR24 immediately recognized the drive, formatted it, and I was up and running. Pretty darn easy! And the HR24 is noticeably more responsive.

However, I have encountered two small problems that I would like to get feedback on. First of all, the HR24 has re-booted at least twice since the new SSD was installed. I can tell because I always turn off the blue ring, and it comes back on after a re-boot. I checked, amd I don't see that any new software is being installed. Anyone have an idea as to what my be causing these re-boots?

Second, when I run a System Test, I get the following warning/error:

Font Output device Display device Technology Electronic device

I have an ethernet cable plugged into the HR24. I tried unplugging it and received this error:

Output device Font Display device Electronic device Multimedia

I re-connected the ethernet and the error went away. Whole Home is working properly.

Font Output device Gadget Flat panel display Display device

Do I need to worry about the warning/error message?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any advice!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,982 Posts
I'd suggest that you unplug the Ethernet cable from the HR24 and reboot. This should dispatch the warning in the long term.

·
Legend
1,233 Posts
I'd suggest that you unplug the Ethernet cable from the HR24 and reboot. This should dispatch the warning in the long term.
Yes, that did the trick. I had unplugged the ethernet cable, but did not restart the DVR. I checked and internet is still working. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Yes, that did the trick. I had unplugged the ethernet cable, but did not restart the DVR. I checked and internet is still working. Thanks for the suggestion.
REASON: When you insert a Cat 5 Lan cable into the Lan port -it disables the MOCO Function --as you discovered when it's removed you need to reboot the receiver -to get the MOCO function back

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,777 Posts
It changes the MoCA function too. 😀

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,777 Posts
Well, after reading everyone talk about how swapping out the HR24 hard drive for an SSD breathes new life into this old hardware, I decided to take the plunge.

First decision was which SSD to choose. I have always had very good luck with Samsung, so I browsed the current Samsung SSD offerings. My HR54 has been running a 2TB Samsung QVO SSD for well over a year with no issues (it is in an external eSATA enclosure). I was unfamiliar with the difference between QVO and EVO SSD's, so I found this explanation: Samsung QVO vs. EVO: SSD differences explained | Digital Trends. Based on this, the EVO seems to be the better choice (there is only a $5 difference between the two 2TB models). However, since the HR54 is my primary DVR, I decided to swap out the QVO for a 2TB EVO drive, and then move the QVO to the bedroom HR24.

The drive swap on the HR54 was trivial. Open the external eSATA enclosure, slip in the mew deive, amd boot up the HR54. After formatting the new drive, everything is working perfectly. Of course, there is quite a bit of work setting up favorite channel lists, seasons passes, etc. (after the guide populates), but I have done this many tomes before.

Next came the HR24. I have opened a HR24 case before, but it has been several years. Nevertheless, I wrassled it into submission, removed the old hard drive, and connected the new QVO SSD. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a drive caddy for local purchase. I have used this one before--its a really nice one.

View attachment 32473

So, I temporarily simply laid the SDD on top of the foam insert, connected the cables, and closed the case. I know this is only temporary--I ordered the drive caddy and will install it when it arrives.

As with the HR54, the HR24 immediately recognized the drive, formatted it, and I was up and running. Pretty darn easy! And the HR24 is noticeably more responsive.

However, I have encountered two small problems that I would like to get feedback on. First of all, the HR24 has re-booted at least twice since the new SSD was installed. I can tell because I always turn off the blue ring, and it comes back on after a re-boot. I checked, amd I don't see that any new software is being installed. Anyone have an idea as to what my be causing these re-boots?

Second, when I run a System Test, I get the following warning/error:

View attachment 32474

I have an ethernet cable plugged into the HR24. I tried unplugging it and received this error:

View attachment 32475

I re-connected the ethernet and the error went away. Whole Home is working properly.

View attachment 32476

Do I need to worry about the warning/error message?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any advice!
As I’ve posted many times before, I’ve had issues with EVO’s and QVO’s locking up and also rebooting weekly on my HR2x’s in the past. I’ve since switched over to WD SSD Greens and Blues on those and never had a reboot issue since. I never tried a Sammy on my 54 as I have 6TB drives on that. Others experiences may vary.

·
Legend
1,233 Posts
As I’ve posted many times before, I’ve had issues with EVO’s and QVO’s locking up and also rebooting weekly on my HR2x’s in the past. I’ve since switched over to WD SSD Greens and Blues on those and never had a reboot issue since. I never tried a Sammy on my 54 as I have 6TB drives on that. Others experiences may vary.
I have had a Samsung SSD in my HR54for over a year without any issues.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,777 Posts
I realize that. But a 54 is much different than a 24- so I was sharing my experiences with you so you don’t wast time and money on a product that has not worked perfectly, at least in my case.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts