DBSTalk Forum banner

HR24 stops responding when powered on

894 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dobewynd 
#1 ·
One of my DVRs, an HR24-500, usually freezes / hangs for 1 - 2 minutes when it is first powered on from standby. By "hangs" I mean that the picture freezes, there is no audio, and the DVR does not respond at all to commands. Once the DVR starts responding after 1 -2 minutes, it works normally.

This is the only one of our DVRs that does this, including 2 other HR24-500s, but this one does it more often than not. My wife has started turning the TV on to let it "warm up" before she's ready to watch. (And, no, it isn't worth it to try to correct her.)

We have Whole Home / MRV, the DVR is connected to an external 2TB drive, and it has an AM21 attached. However, the exact same configuration in another room (down to the hard drive model and enclosure) never hangs like this.

Has anyone seen anything similar?

Thanks

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I have restarted from time to time, but this is an ongoing issue for several months now. I will try restarting again and check for any improvement. It's just odd that this box does this pretty consistently when no others do.

Good suggestion to try swapping things out and I can swap the AM21 easily enough. Unfortunately, with DirecTV's implementation swapping the external drives would mean losing lots of recordings and I'm not willing to do that for this problem since it works perfectly once it comes back to life after 1-2 minutes. I'd expect a hard drive problem to lead to stuttering, breakups/hiccups or other issues during operation.

I guess another possibility I hadn't really considered is some kind of delay caused by HDMI handshaking. It's connected via HDMI through an Onkyo TX-NR708 to a Sony KDS-60A2000.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.