DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my HR20 for some time, but the other night was the worst rain fade I have seen in recent memory, possibly much worse than any others (and there might not have even been others) since I got this thing.

My HR10's sailed right through, and within 45 minutes had recovered well, as they always seem to, pretty much what you expect from a DBS IRD/DVR. The HR20 became extremely sluggish, and was still so 3 hours later. It also skunked two recordings--I lost "Burn Notice" at 7 PM, so sked it for the repeat at 10, and it couldn't seem to get that either, although my backup copy on SD on the HR10 came through without a glitch. A reboot fixed the HR20 which then was also no longer sluggish and has worked perfectly ever since (and I got the refeed today).

Conclusion: the HR2x does not recover from rain fades very gracefully. Of course I have a sample of one, so your input on the subject is desired, and would be most appreciated. TIA.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
I've only had it last for 5-10 min, during the heaviest rain/hail, and haven't needed to reset.
Ka band is much more susceptible, but I wonder if any water got into your LNB? Some aren't sealed as well as they should/could be.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
veryoldschool said:
I've only had it last for 5-10 min, during the heaviest rain/hail, and haven't needed to reset.
Ka band is much more susceptible, but I wonder if any water got into your LNB? Some aren't sealed as well as they should/could be.
You really think either of those possibilities made my DVR extremely sluggish and non-responsive? Or that rebooting a DVR flushes all moisture from the LNB? I lost a Ku program during this also, BTW.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
It sounds like the HR20 was tuned to one of the Ka satellites, and Ka is more susceptible to rain fade, unfortunately.

It is hard to really compare one receiver's performance with another when they are looking at different satellites, different compression schemes, and even Ka vs. Ku differences.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
TomCat said:
You really think either of those possibilities made my DVR extremely sluggish and non-responsive? Or that rebooting a DVR flushes all moisture from the LNB? I lost a Ku program during this also, BTW.
Yes, I honestly believe there is "something" in the software that causes the receiver to become very sluggish and seemingly locked-up when it loses the ability to lock onto certain signals. I had a loose connection at the multiswitch cause my HR20 in the living room to exhibit the behavior - gray screen, sluggish almost non-responsive.

· Mentor
40 Posts
I've had the rain fade issue for the last 6 months or so. I believe it is caused from a software issue with the HR20. I've had it happen on my HR21, but not as often.

Why you ask.

1. It only happens after a rain storm. The 2nd tuner never locks on the signal after the storm passes. When this happens the unit becomes slow and unresponsive. Reboot the unit and everything is fine...until the next rain storm. :)

2. If it's a lose connection or water getting in the cables then why does a reboot fix the issue?

3. If i switch the cable for the tuners why does it still always happen to the same tuner?

Just my thoughts.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.