DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the discussion thread for HR34 version 04C8 and other versions with the "Blue UI."

Please feel free to discuss any aspects of the HR34, and please feel free to open a new thread if you feel it appropriate.

·
Legend
194 Posts
How do the 8 available frequencies on a swim 8 get allocated in an over allocation scenario?

I currently have a swim 8 with 4 HR2x DVR's. So all 8 are taken.

If I replace one of the HR2x DVR's with a HR34 what will happen?

Will the 34 always get 2 tuners working? Or if I boot them in the wrong order will the 34 take 4 and leave 0 for one of the HR2X's?

Ideally they would not be allocated until they are actually needed. In that case I wouldn't need a new swim 16 because the boxes are never all recording at the same time.

Mostly just curious.

·
Registered
12,613 Posts
^^^
It's kind of random chance with the HR34 tuners based on which box gets the available SWM channels first. If the the HR34 gets all five, then some of your DVRs will be hosed. In other words, time to upgrade to SWM16.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It depends on the order in which they are powered up. If you boot them in the wrong order the HR34 will get 5 tuners and your other devices will get 771a errors. It does not allocate dynamically.

If you boot the other DVRs first, the HR34 seems to be just fine running with fewer tuners, but it's obviously an unsupported configuration and you're much better with an SWM16.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
I am new to directv. I just had my HR34 installed on December 23rd. When the installer came out he did not have an RC70X remote for my Samsung TV. He got everything working mostly with the built in samsung remote. I contacted Direct TV and they responded and said all RC70X remote orders are on hold because they messed up and sent out RC70X remotes to everyone who ordered a HR34, not just ones who needed it (with a Samsung TV as an RVU Client). They do not know when i will be able to get one.

So my question, does anyone know how to get skipping to work with the Samsung remote? most of the functions seem to work, just not the 30 second skip.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Can someone give me a quick recap on the pricing with the HR34? I read a large part of the anticipation thread but must have missed the definitive answer on this question.

Does the HR-34 count as one receiver? So if I already pay the $7 DVR fee, then it would only cost an extra $6/month for the additional receiver, even though it has 5 tuners?

Also, when is the expected date that these will be available to existing customers?

Thanks!

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:welcome_s brent112!

Not completely sure of the answer to that myself. The Samsung remote has the slip and replay icons silkscreened above the regular FF and RW icons. I use a Harmony remote and for some reason the Harmony database had CH+ and CH- as part of the Samsung TV's codeset. I keep forgetting to try it to see if those codes work with the RVU client.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
beestea, I think it's $399 for regular customers. It does count as one receiver so you would only be responsible for one mirroring charge.

I'd expect to see these in general availability in the next couple of months. Certain dates have been flown around here but none have been confirmed.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
:welcome_s brent112!

Not completely sure of the answer to that myself. The Samsung remote has the slip and replay icons silkscreened above the regular FF and RW icons. I use a Harmony remote and for some reason the Harmony database had CH+ and CH- as part of the Samsung TV's codeset. I keep forgetting to try it to see if those codes work with the RVU client.
Thanks! I have a harmony as well i tried in place of the Samsung remote and the FF and RW work fine, just no 30second skip or slip. On a side note, is your GUI slow when moving navigating the Direct TV menus/guides? I have an H25 also upstairs and it is blazing fast, just the RVU Client seems to be slow.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it is kind of slow moving through menus. I hope this is something they address.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
beestea, I think it's $399 for regular customers. It does count as one receiver so you would only be responsible for one mirroring charge.

I'd expect to see these in general availability in the next couple of months. Certain dates have been flown around here but none have been confirmed.
Thanks Stuart. Also, every client of the HR34 is also considered a additional receiver as well correct? Even if it is the Samsung TV, or the new no tuner/remote view box DirecTV is coming out with?

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Every client takes a tuner, if that's what you mean.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
Every client takes a tuner, if that's what you mean.
I mean for pricing... say I only had an HR34 and then two remote view clients (say samsung tv's). Does this mean I am only paying DirecTV for the HR34, and the Samsung TV's don't cost any extra on my direcTV bill.

I am asking because I currently have 3 HD-DVR's for the sole purpose of being able to record more than 2 things at once, and having DirecTV in multiple rooms. The two extra HD-DVR's cost an additional $12 month.

If I went with a HR34 and then 2 remote view clients, I'd be saving 12/month correct?

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
beestea said:
I mean for pricing... say I only had an HR34 and then two remote view clients (say samsung tv's). Does this mean I am only paying DirecTV for the HR34, and the Samsung TV's don't cost any extra on my direcTV bill.

I am asking because I currently have 3 HD-DVR's for the sole purpose of being able to record more than 2 things at once, and having DirecTV in multiple rooms. The two extra HD-DVR's cost an additional $12 month.

If I went with a HR34 and then 2 remote view clients, I'd be saving 12/month correct?
I believe it is $6/month per RVU client. That is what i am being charged at least.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
brent112 said:
I believe it is $6/month per RVU client. That is what i am being charged at least.
Thanks! So really the advantages are, single place to manage recordings/season pass, no "box" to figure out where to hide, and no noisy hard drive in remote view rooms.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's correct.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
I live in an area which the HDUI has already been released. All of my "legacy" HDDVRs have received the update. I recently added an HR34 (one week ago) and it has yet to be updated to the HDUI -- is this what others are experiencing?

Edit -- scratch the question. It appears the HDUI hasn't been released for the HR34 yet, if I'm reading the other threads correctly. Looks like we just have to wait.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
I just installed my 34 and after setting a few things I forced a download, it wasn't on the current NR. It almost immediately jumped to 96%. Was it already downloaded and I just triggered the install, or is it really that fast to download?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.