DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Legend
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my HR34 today and activation went fine after I found my access card inside the manual!!!

First problem:
I have 2-2Tb drives in a TenBox external enclosure set to Raid 0. That a 2 Tb drive. The HR34 will not recognise it.

Do any of you have a 2Tb external drive attached to a HR34 or is a TenBox issue?
TIA.

johnnytex

·
Mentor
45 Posts
I am confused.
Even if it is set to RAID1, wouldn't that be 3TB (1TB internal, 2TB in the external enclosure)?

Been thinking about getting an HR34, didn't realize it had a 2TB limit.

Thanks,

Choir

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
Choir said:
I am confused.
Even if it is set to RAID1, wouldn't that be 3TB (1TB internal, 2TB in the external enclosure)?

Been thinking about getting an HR34, didn't realize it had a 2TB limit.

Thanks,

Choir
The internal drive isn't used when an external drive is hooked up.

·
Legend
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Bad. RAID 1. SAFE MODE. 2Tb drive total.
So does anyone have a working 2Tb drive attached to a HR34?

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
jagrim said:
I have a working 2 Tb drive (WD20EVDS) in a Rosewill enclosure and am seeing no problems.
But is it a RAID1 enclosure with 2 2TB drives that mirror each other or is it just a plain enclosure with one drive?

·
Legend
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If others have 2Tb drives working, the problem is with TenBox and its raid.
It worked very well with HR20.
Too bad it is a great enclosure.
More tomorrow.

·
MRVing
4,117 Posts
johnnytex said:
Got my HR34 today and activation went fine after I found my access card inside the manual!!!

First problem:
I have 2-2Tb drives in a TenBox external enclosure set to Raid 0. That a 2 Tb drive. The HR34 will not recognise it.

Do any of you have a 2Tb external drive attached to a HR34 or is a TenBox issue?
TIA.

johnnytex
RunnerFL said:
The OP's question is about a RAID enclosure.
The OP specifically asked "Do any of you have a 2Tb external drive attached to a HR34..." so I provided some personal experience.

I'm curious why you found it necessary to be the forum monitor? :confused:

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
OK, I'll handle the moderating, you handle the posting :lol:

·
Legend
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I found out today the the TenBox does not work with the HR34.
Put the two 2TB drives in a Sans Digital enclosure running RAID 1 and it works fine.

·
Godfather
549 Posts
I see johnnytex got it working.

Whether a RAID1 box will work is entirely dependent on how well the box emulates a "plain bare drive" to the outside world. Some do a better job than others, obviously.

I have been using a RAIDON-brand box with two 2TB drives in RAID 1 on an HR21-100 for a couple of years now with no issues.

Keith

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Since the HR34 doubled the number of season passes from 50 to 100, I was hoping the HR34 would double the amount of capacity from 2TB to 4TB.

I can somewhat understand the 2TB limit on the older boxes due to:

A) They only have 2 tuners
B) Many were designed when 2TB drives were the max in a single drive configuration
C) Older hardware

Now that the HR34 has 5 tuners, there are 4TB drives available, and the hardware was just designed, the 2TB limit seems outdated. I wonder if the 2TB limit on the HR34 is because the content providers don't like it or if it's a hardware issue.

For example, I could see that HBO (or the studios themselves) would rather you buy the DVD/Blu-Ray of movies, rather than archiving them on a huge drive.

·
Save the Clock Tower!!
2,465 Posts
johnnytex said:
Well, I found out today the the TenBox does not work with the HR34.
Put the two 2TB drives in a Sans Digital enclosure running RAID 1 and it works fine.
Which TenBox model were you using? I don't think it supports 2TB drives at all. The TB00 (where you add your own hard drives) can only take 1TB drives according to their website.

The TB3000, which is the largest capacity listed on their website has 2 1.5TB drives in it. It is possible that the TenBox will work with the HR34 as long as the correct drives are inside of it.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.