DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current setup is an HR20-700 in 2nd floor bedroom and an HR21-100 in the living room(main viewing) Both have 2 cables running to them from the dish(no SWM) and both have MRV via ethernet cable. If I convert to 1 HR34, what will my recording capacity be?(more than now?) Would I only need the HR34 and an "H" model in the bedroom? Would an HR34 require a complete re-wire from the dish? Would it require a conversion from ethernet to DECA?
If I can get a good deal on an HR34 from DTV(including install) I might go for it.
Thanks for any responses...
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
7,058 Posts
You'll just go from 4 tuners to 5, and depending on if you eliminate both of your current dvrs, you lose the ability to record OTA unless you also put in an AM-21. It doesnt mean a total re-wire, but it does require SWiM install as the HR34 is SWiM only. It would make more sense to go DECA at the same time.
 

·
MRVing
Joined
·
4,117 Posts
Another thing, you can always add an eSATA.
2TB will more than double your recording space.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dettxw said:
Another thing, you can always add an eSATA.
2TB will more than double your recording space.
Is the recording capacity of the HR34 greater than the combined capacity of the HR20+HR21?
 

·
MRVing
Joined
·
4,117 Posts
You know I never did commit to memory or jot down just how much of a DVR's hard drive that DirecTV reserves for their use, or how big a hard drive is in a partucular DVR model (up to 500 MB I think for your models). But I'm sure a detail guy can post that info.
The HR34 has a 1 TB drive and only one DirecTV reserved section vs. two for your DVR combo, so at least more efficient use of drive space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,532 Posts
bnwrx said:
Is the recording capacity of the HR34 greater than the combined capacity of the HR20+HR21?
Yes, but not by much. The HR20 has either a 300GB or 320GB drive and the HR21 has a 500GB drive. So you would go from 800/820 to 1000.

The question I have is since you already have DVR's, why downgrade the bedroom unit to an H. It doesn't cost any more to keep the DVR in there and gives you trickplay features. So unless the sound of the DVR drive is bothering you, why not just keep it. Then you would have 1.3 to 1.5TB of recording space.

Yes, you would need a SWM upgrade.

The other option would be to buy a 6000 series Samsung TV which has RVU and use it in the room that does not have the HR34. Then you would get trickplay back.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Herdfan said:
Yes, but not by much. The HR20 has either a 300GB or 320GB drive and the HR21 has a 500GB drive. So you would go from 800/820 to 1000.

The question I have is since you already have DVR's, why downgrade the bedroom unit to an H. It doesn't cost any more to keep the DVR in there and gives you trickplay features. So unless the sound of the DVR drive is bothering you, why not just keep it. Then you would have 1.3 to 1.5TB of recording space.

Yes, you would need a SWM upgrade.

The other option would be to buy a 6000 series Samsung TV which has RVU and use it in the room that does not have the HR34. Then you would get trickplay back.
good point... I've never had an "H" unit before only "HR's" Didn't realize and just assumed trick play was an option no matter what you had. The 21 is noisier than the 20 for sure, but it does seem to have a larger capcity.
Is doing a SWM upgrade a DIY project or is it best left to DTV Tech's?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,532 Posts
bnwrx said:
Is doing a SWM upgrade a DIY project or is it best left to DTV Tech's?
It all depends on your level of comfort. Since you have 2xDVR's, you have 4 wires from the dish entering your house. The question then is do all 4 enter at the same place. If so, then a SWM upgrade is very easy (assuming you can install coax fittings). If the wires go from the dish directly to the receivers, then it can be more difficult.

You could always do a SWM LNB, but I would not recommend it as it could mess up your dish alignment. Plus you need to make sure you get the correct model to match your reflector.

How is everything set up?

Also, it looks like I missed the capacity by a generation. The 21 still has the 320GB drive. It wasn't until the 22 that they went to 500. Yes, those are in hours of MPEG-4 HD content. OTA recordings take up more space, therefore if you use them, you get less hours.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
838 Posts
bnwrx said:
Current setup is an HR20-700 in 2nd floor bedroom and an HR21-100 in the living room(main viewing) Both have 2 cables running to them from the dish(no SWM) and both have MRV via ethernet cable. If I convert to 1 HR34, what will my recording capacity be?(more than now?) Would I only need the HR34 and an "H" model in the bedroom? Would an HR34 require a complete re-wire from the dish? Would it require a conversion from ethernet to DECA?
If I can get a good deal on an HR34 from DTV(including install) I might go for it.
Thanks for any responses...
No one has pointed out the problem of your last sentence.

No HR34's to Directv customers directly from Directv until February (9th I was told by Ellen's team).

You can do what lots of us did and get it and then schedule the upgrade install with Directv and see what they offer you in discounts there.

Or wait another month. :)
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Herdfan said:
It all depends on your level of comfort. Since you have 2xDVR's, you have 4 wires from the dish entering your house. The question then is do all 4 enter at the same place. If so, then a SWM upgrade is very easy (assuming you can install coax fittings). If the wires go from the dish directly to the receivers, then it can be more difficult.

You could always do a SWM LNB, but I would not recommend it as it could mess up your dish alignment. Plus you need to make sure you get the correct model to match your reflector.

How is everything set up?

Also, it looks like I missed the capacity by a generation. The 21 still has the 320GB drive. It wasn't until the 22 that they went to 500. Yes, those are in hours of MPEG-4 HD content. OTA recordings take up more space, therefore if you use them, you get less hours.
Setup is: 2 wires go from dish to upstairs bedroom(about 45' of wire) 2 wires go to 1st floor living room(about 65' of wire).They run on the outside of the house so I am not sure how I would put in the power supply....
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
F1 Fan said:
No one has pointed out the problem of your last sentence.

No HR34's to Directv customers directly from Directv until February (9th I was told by Ellen's team).

You can do what lots of us did and get it and then schedule the upgrade install with Directv and see what they offer you in discounts there.

Or wait another month. :)
Understood... I am thinking in the long term...a few months perhaps, if then...just trying to understand it all...
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
F1 Fan said:
No one has pointed out the problem of your last sentence.

No HR34's to Directv customers directly from Directv until February (9th I was told by Ellen's team).

You can do what lots of us did and get it and then schedule the upgrade install with Directv and see what they offer you in discounts there.

Or wait another month. :)
Side note: Good to hear construction has re-started at COTA...Lets hope..:):)
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
838 Posts
bnwrx said:
Side note: Good to hear construction has re-started at COTA...Lets hope..:):)
Waiting for Tickets to go on sale!

Havent been to a live race for a couple of years!

Looking forward to NY street race in 2013 too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,532 Posts
bnwrx said:
Setup is: 2 wires go from dish to upstairs bedroom(about 45' of wire) 2 wires go to 1st floor living room(about 65' of wire).They run on the outside of the house so I am not sure how I would put in the power supply....
Then it is probably best if you had a tech do it. I did all mine, but I had all 4 wires coming into a central location.

The PS stays inside the house and puts power into one of the coax runs. Not a problem as long as you have an extra outlet at one of your locations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,492 Posts
Herdfan said:
Yes, but not by much. The HR20 has either a 300GB or 320GB drive and the HR21 has a 500GB drive. So you would go from 800/820 to 1000.

The question I have is since you already have DVR's, why downgrade the bedroom unit to an H. It doesn't cost any more to keep the DVR in there and gives you trickplay features. So unless the sound of the DVR drive is bothering you, why not just keep it. Then you would have 1.3 to 1.5TB of recording space.

Yes, you would need a SWM upgrade.

The other option would be to buy a 6000 series Samsung TV which has RVU and use it in the room that does not have the HR34. Then you would get trickplay back.
My 3 HR21-100 were 320 MB.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top