DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the biggest confirmed internal hard drive that can be installed in HR34?

In my HR24 and HR22's I have installed Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM 2TB, and they work flawlessly.

Since HR34 is a 5 tuner PVR I'm thinking Hitachi Deskstar 5K4000 4TB 5400RPM.

I know that RPM speed doesn't make a difference in PVR's, but I'm concerned if the size is going to be a problem.

Thanks

· Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CCarncross said:
$925???

That's insane just to be able to activate and deactivate it, and open it up to install a HDD internally...really the only 2 reasons to own a D* receiver.
I live in Canada, and have a grandfathered plan, since I've been with DTV for a long, long time, ever since they allowed Canadian customers in 1996. Warranty or anything doesn't apply to me. Can't lease the receiver...

· Godfather
300 Posts
CCarncross said:
$925???

That's insane just to be able to activate and deactivate it, and open it up to install a HDD internally...really the only 2 reasons to own a D* receiver.
And really since you can install your own drive on a leased receiver -- even though Stuart with remind us it's a violation of our agreement :) -- this is a dubious reason to pay a fortune extra. But.. to each his own.

· Hall Of Fame
1,090 Posts
DirecTV service has NEVER been available for legal subscription in Canada as far as DirecTV themselves are concerned. Up until 2004 people it was legal in Canada to hacked cards for DirecTV's service; they had shops at almost every corner doing it. That was until Bell ExpressVu suffered subscriber loss and spurred the government to outlaw such sales. Since it's outlaw no DirecTV equipment has even been allowed to pass though customs.

This is not to say that people don't start an account using a US address and illegally bring/sneak equipment though the border; however it is NOT and has never been legal and is definitely not "grandfathered" in since it has never been legal to begin with.

At any rate; I digress......Just add an external enclosure and 2TB HDD to serve your purpose and be done with it. This way you have a total of 3TB of disk space for usage; albeit you can access either the internal 1TB or the external 2 TB at any given time. The drives are not used in conjunction with each other. If you power cycle the IRD on with an external drive connected and powered on, you'll disable the internal drive. If you remove the external drive and power cycle the IRD it will be back on the internal drive-----you can swap at will and retain all data on both drives......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.