DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
DIRECTV considers digital audio out to be a legacy connector. Their perspective is that HDMI audio is the right way to go. If you do need an optical out, monoprice sells a nice converter that actually works and it's not that expensive.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My surround sound receiver is an older sony, it has everything but HDMI. I have the current (cable) receiver connected to the HDTV via HDMI cable and another connection from the (cable) receiver to the surround sound receiver via fiber audio cable, so I get the Dolby DTS. I would have to research if the converter that Stuart Sweet mentioned would work with my application/equipment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,532 Posts
oleo3ys said:
That monoprice converter is coaxial to fiber? Connected between the HR34 and the surrounding system input?
oleo3ys said:
My surround sound receiver is an older sony, it has everything but HDMI. ..... I would have to research if the converter that Stuart Sweet mentioned would work with my application/equipment.
Make sure you get the correct converter. You need the Coax Digitial >>> Optical Digital. Here it is:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2

Are you sure your Sony does not have a Coax In? All my older AVR's (Denon and H/K) do.

Yes it will work. All it does is change connection from a Coax to an Optical.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,640 Posts
Yeah, don't confuse the analog stereo RCA coax out to the digital coax out, they're not the same. The digital coax out carries the exact same audio that the optical does. You won't hear a difference.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, there is a coaxial input for audio in, so I can connect the HR34 to the s.s. recvr with a digital coax cable and keep my BR connected to the optical on the s.s. Never used the coaxial rca connection thinking all along that optical was the 'preferred' audio connection. Thanks all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,532 Posts
oleo3ys said:
so I can connect the HR34 to the s.s. recvr with a digital coax cable and keep my BR connected to the optical on the s.s. Never used the coaxial rca connection thinking all along that optical was the 'preferred' audio connection.
Just make sure it is a Digital Coax In. As far as quality, digital is digital. Usually you will find the Digital Coax In either above or below the Optical Ins.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
668 Posts
oleo3ys said:
Yes, there is a coaxial input for audio in, so I can connect the HR34 to the s.s. recvr with a digital coax cable and keep my BR connected to the optical on the s.s. Never used the coaxial rca connection thinking all along that optical was the 'preferred' audio connection. Thanks all!
You can buy a 'digital coax cable', but if you have any kind of semi-decent composite video cable lying about (the ones that connected to the yellow jacks), it will work just fine. If it's short enough and shielded, just about any cable with RCA connectors will work in a pinch.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
Just want to give my .02 experience with using the digital coax on he HR34. I have the HR34 from field testing it and I notice a big difference between using the coax and HDMI. The HDMI to my surround is much more louder and crisp where as the coax as 15-20 point decrease volume difference and a flat sound. I have tried different cables and no change and also did the same thing with my HR22 and see the same thing but not as pronounced. Just my observations. Could be my AVR but hard to rule it out since I don't have another AVR laying around to test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,532 Posts
Alebob911 said:
Just want to give my .02 experience with using the digital coax on he HR34. I have the HR34 from field testing it and I notice a big difference between using the coax and HDMI. The HDMI to my surround is much more louder and crisp where as the coax as 15-20 point decrease volume difference and a flat sound. I have tried different cables and no change and also did the same thing with my HR22 and see the same thing but not as pronounced. Just my observations. Could be my AVR but hard to rule it out since I don't have another AVR laying around to test.
Don't tell me stuff like that. All I need is one more reason to upgrade my AVR. :p
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
668 Posts
Alebob911 said:
Just want to give my .02 experience with using the digital coax on he HR34. I have the HR34 from field testing it and I notice a big difference between using the coax and HDMI. The HDMI to my surround is much more louder and crisp where as the coax as 15-20 point decrease volume difference and a flat sound. I have tried different cables and no change and also did the same thing with my HR22 and see the same thing but not as pronounced. Just my observations. Could be my AVR but hard to rule it out since I don't have another AVR laying around to test.
It's the AVR (and maybe which stream is on the coax digital out). HDMI will negotiate what digital audio stream to send (in this case, 5.1 Dolby Digital or 2 channel PCM), and the DirecTV receiver has a setting for what's on the coax digital out (which may or may not affect what's on the HDMI).

Given the same stream (5.1 Dolby Digital or 2 channel PCM), there should be no quality difference in the audio. The HDMI and S/PDIF protocols used to send the audio are different, however.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
dwcolvin said:
It's the AVR (and maybe which stream is on the coax digital out). HDMI will negotiate what digital audio stream to send (in this case, 5.1 Dolby Digital or 2 channel PCM), and the DirecTV receiver has a setting for what's on the coax digital out (which may or may not affect what's on the HDMI).

Given the same stream (5.1 Dolby Digital or 2 channel PCM), there should be no quality difference in the audio. The HDMI and S/PDIF protocols used to send the audio are different, however.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Whats weird is that there is a difference in the amount of sound volume and quality between the HR22 and HR34 using the coax. The HR22 has less of the issues then the HR34 but they are connected to the same AVR using the same cables. :shrug: I need more HDMI inputs so maybe a new AVR is in my future. :D
 

·
Geek til I die
Joined
·
9,821 Posts
Alebob911 said:
Just want to give my .02 experience with using the digital coax on he HR34. I have the HR34 from field testing it and I notice a big difference between using the coax and HDMI. The HDMI to my surround is much more louder and crisp where as the coax as 15-20 point decrease volume difference and a flat sound. I have tried different cables and no change and also did the same thing with my HR22 and see the same thing but not as pronounced. Just my observations. Could be my AVR but hard to rule it out since I don't have another AVR laying around to test.
AVRs usually memorize the custom audio setups from each input. It sounds to me like you have your HDMI set one way, but never set your Digital Coax input up. There is no difference between the two coming out of the DVR/receiver.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
Davenlr said:
AVRs usually memorize the custom audio setups from each input. It sounds to me like you have your HDMI set one way, but never set your Digital Coax input up. There is no difference between the two coming out of the DVR/receiver.
That has been my experience as well, no difference between HDMI, Coax, and Toslink. I'm using all of them including one of the monoprice coax to toslink converters and all are great.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top