DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· AllStar
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the huge thread "HR34 0x04C9 - Initial Release ISSUES ONLY" I'm wondering if I should wait to order an HR34??

The $150 price with installation is very tempting to solve all my 2 tuner conflicts and the 50 Series limit, but with all the problems being mentioned I'm really thinking about waiting.

Is there anyone out there with an HR34 NOT having issues? :confused:

· Mentor
33 Posts
Rob Dawn said:
Based on the huge thread "HR34 0x04C9 - Initial Release ISSUES ONLY" I'm wondering if I should wait to order an HR34??

The $150 price with installation is very tempting to solve all my 2 tuner conflicts and the 50 Series limit, but with all the problems being mentioned I'm really thinking about waiting.

Is there anyone out there with an HR34 NOT having issues? :confused:
I haven't had any issues with mine other than a slowdown bringing up the menus and guides about a week after I installed it. A restart fixed that.

But this is my first HR box so maybe I 'm having issues and just don't know it! :)

· Cool Member
28 Posts
We have had almost zero issues with our HR34; the only one that happens much at all is the H25s claiming they can't play shows and requiring 5-10 retries before the show will start playing. We can live with that, given how nice the HR34 is otherwise.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
kpfleming said:
We have had almost zero issues with our HR34; the only one that happens much at all is the H25s claiming they can't play shows and requiring 5-10 retries before the show will start playing. We can live with that, given how nice the HR34 is otherwise.
I think that is an H25 issue....

· Godfather
433 Posts
I have two brand new HR units. 34 and 24. The 34 has far fewer problems than the 24. The 34 still has to good GUI the 24 has the bad HD GUI.

Right out of the box the 34 did some very weird things, like record five instances of the same recording at the same time on the same channel. Now it seems to have settled down and just has the typical DTV Box problems of bad trickplay, clipping the beginning of recorded shows, missing recordings from series passes, weird audio and video problems etc. Never had to reset the HR34 and have had to reset the HR24. So from my knothole it works better.

· Mentor
59 Posts
kpfleming said:
I have an HR34 and HR24 setup. Whenever we play shows on the HR24 that were recorded on the HR34, we experience the same issue of requiring multiple retries to play a program. Just to confirm... Is this a known problem? We just want to ensure that this isn't an issue with our particular install and that it's a software issue that will be fixed eventually.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Jerry_K said:
Right out of the box the 34 did some very weird things, like record five instances of the same recording at the same time on the same channel. Now it seems to have settled down and just has the typical DTV Box problems of bad trickplay, clipping the beginning of recorded shows, missing recordings from series passes, weird audio and video problems etc. Never had to reset the HR34 and have had to reset the HR24. So from my knothole it works better.
WOW! If that is now working better, I would hate to have seen it when it was worse. Sounds like I need to seriously reconsider my new HR-34. It will be installed on Saturday and now I am nervous. :eek2:

· AllStar
117 Posts
We have had ours for a month. It has locked up once, but we did not miss anything due to it (we caught it in time)

Other than that, it has been chugging along. Little glitches here and there, but nothing major (like sometimes skip30 jumps to the end, or the remote stops turning on our TV).

Once we got rid of those lousy game channels, those are sloooow, it has been cool.

· Legend
103 Posts
The new HD Guide software for the HR34 is still in the beta testing phase. There are several bugs being worked out so unfortunately it will be a little while longer before it's ready. Your HR34 will also be a bit more sluggish the first 3 - 4 days after installation. There are quite a few background programs that have to boot up and run for a while before it gets completely seamless. Small price to pay though for the most incredible DVR made yet to date.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I think it's ready for prime time, especially considering what passes for prime time these day :lol:

But seriously, it's good and stable if maybe not as rock solid as the HR2x DVRs. But I'm sure that will change quickly.

· Godfather
433 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
I think it's ready for prime time, especially considering what passes for prime time these day :lol:
Even TiVo is now pretty much ruined with the newer models from some feedback that I have gotten. Seems like the original Series 3 TiVo was the last reliable DVR.

Stuart Sweet said:
But seriously, it's good and stable if maybe not as rock solid as the HR2x DVRs. But I'm sure that will change quickly.
My experience is the opposite. The 34 is more stable than the 24. I hope that it doesn't change for the worse and become less stable like the 24 is now.

· AllStar
117 Posts
Jerry_K said:
Even TiVo is now pretty much ruined with the newer models from some feedback that I have gotten. Seems like the original Series 3 TiVo was the last reliable DVR.
Well some brilliant person there decided to write the new UI in Flash. Yeah, wy to go. That was the nail in the TiVo coffin for me. Showed terrible technical leadership.

· Large Member
4,792 Posts
kpfleming said:
texasbrit said:
I think that is an H25 issue....
Definately NOT (only) an H25 issue. Happens HR34->HR34 and happens HR34->HR24.

· Large Member
4,792 Posts
mavs-fan said:
I have an HR34 and HR24 setup. Whenever we play shows on the HR24 that were recorded on the HR34, we experience the same issue of requiring multiple retries to play a program. Just to confirm... Is this a known problem? We just want to ensure that this isn't an issue with our particular install and that it's a software issue that will be fixed eventually.
Yes, known, yes, will be fixed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.