DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the normal temp of an HR34? The past few days I've gotten overheating messages twice, and I never had this issue with my HR22 in the same spot (and that I had an HR20 on top of, which is now disconnected). Right now, my 34 says its running at 145 degrees. It doesn't feel all that warm to the touch from the outside.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No vents are blocked, and it's got some space behind it. Before, I had two DECA boxes, a splitter and BSF back there. I do have my Roku there. I ran a fan in front of it for a few minutes, and the message went away and has not come back. I'll keep an eye on it. Of course I'd just customized things the other day...

Would a laptop fan mat help? I know they've been used upside down on a HR20, but don't know how useful they are on units with side vents.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming at that temp, I should be hearing fans? Putting my ear right up to it with not much ambient noise, I can't really hear anything other than a little hard drive noise. Maybe a little fan noise, but certainly not on high.

I called it in, of course they said they couldn't guarantee I'd get a 34 replacement. She knew what it was, but seems they need a little more training still.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
It's at 115º here, but it is cool (65º) in my home in the winter. I keep my home at 76º in the summer. That when I will watch.

· Legend
177 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I'm assuming at that temp, I should be hearing fans? Putting my ear right up to it with not much ambient noise, I can't really hear anything other than a little hard drive noise. Maybe a little fan noise, but certainly not on high.

I called it in, of course they said they couldn't guarantee I'd get a 34 replacement. She knew what it was, but seems they need a little more training still.
The HR34 is a HMC class and would be swapped out with another HR34 since it's the only HMC receiver out at this time.

That's like her saying "I can replace your HD DVR but can't guarantee you won't get a SD DVR." LOL.

· Always Searching
1,940 Posts
rrdirectsr said:
The HR34 is a HMC class and would be swapped out with another HR34 since it's the only HMC receiver out at this time.

That's like her saying "I can replace your HD DVR but can't guarantee you won't get a SD DVR." LOL.
I think everyone in the thread understands that, but with a new launch there's usually system "quirks" (and of course the human element...) The question is will the system work correctly?

· Large Member
4,792 Posts
dpeters11 said:
What is the normal temp of an HR34? The past few days I've gotten overheating messages twice, and I never had this issue with my HR22 in the same spot (and that I had an HR20 on top of, which is now disconnected). Right now, my 34 says its running at 145 degrees. It doesn't feel all that warm to the touch from the outside.
Touch the bottom metal chassis. That is where most of the heat is generated. Gets quite warm to the touch but mine shows 115 consistently and it is sitting on top of an AM21. I originally had it sitting on top of an HR20-700 and IIRC that vents out of the top so they both got pretty hot.

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
Mine has consistently run between 115 - 120ºF in an open entertainment shelf under my TV since the day I got it. Not a huge amount of open space around it but enough so things shouldn't be completely stagnant.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.