DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mentor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm absolutely loving DirecTV so far (first timer here). Everything seems to be going great so far, except for two issues that I can't seem to resolve.

These questions relate to an HR34 receiver I had installed for me on May 19, 2012. (I also had two H25s set up in two other locations in my home.)

First: When I hit the 'PREV' button on my remote, I get a strange result. Immediately after hitting the button, the screen turns black and I hear the audio from the new channel/tuner. Then the audio cuts out, the screen flickers (multicolored lines on top half of screen), then the screen seems to lose input altogether and shows the "input" number for my TV in the top corner (as if I just changed the input on the TV remote), and then finally switches to the channel/tuner. The whole process takes 6-7 seconds. This does not happen on my H25 receivers at all. On the H25, I press 'PREV' and the channel changes in 1 second. On the HR34, sometimes I get the lag/handshake issue when I simply change the channel by locating one on the guide and pressing 'select.' I tried switching HDMI cables to the best I own, and that doesn't make a difference. Is this normal?

Second: When scrolling through the guide, I have minor lag. If I'm paging down, sometimes its moves as fast as I can press. But, sometimes, it hangs. Same with other button presses. On the other hand, the H25s fly as fast as I can press the button -- they never lag. Is this normal? I read in another thread that an update in late March reduced lag. Do I need to update the software/firmware?

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
They are currently working on the speed issue with the HR34, I wouldn't bother with forcing a FW update because they will send you the correct version when it's ready.

The DVR's have always been a little slower than the H series receivers but the gap has been getting closer.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Scott Kocourek said:
They are currently working on the speed issue with the HR34, I wouldn't bother with forcing a FW update because they will send you the correct version when it's ready.

The DVR's have always been a little slower than the H series receivers but the gap has been getting closer.
Hello liquidsense,

I have recently installed an HR34 (around 7 weeks ago). For the first week or so I note any problems, fix them and then see if they reoccur. If it is a one time thing then I put it down to it is new unit and move on. If it persists then it is time to do some serious troubleshooting of the problem. I try to use the unit to the maximum as problems can show up early in my posession. You have already replaced the cable but did you try another HDMI connection on the TV? Does your TV have firmware update(s) available. Does this occur with Component Cables? I have both hooked up and have not had this problem but other problems have occurred. Most were one time problems that disappeared and I hope never to return. Best of luck with your HR34.

·
Mentor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
caseyf5 said:
Hello liquidsense,

I have recently installed an HR34 (around 7 weeks ago). For the first week or so I note any problems, fix them and then see if they reoccur. If it is a one time thing then I put it down to it is new unit and move on. If it persists then it is time to do some serious troubleshooting of the problem. I try to use the unit to the maximum as problems can show up early in my posession. You have already replaced the cable but did you try another HDMI connection on the TV? Does your TV have firmware update(s) available. Does this occur with Component Cables? I have both hooked up and have not had this problem but other problems have occurred. Most were one time problems that disappeared and I hope never to return. Best of luck with your HR34.
Good ideas. I will try a different input on the TV and I will try to update the firmware on the TV, as well.

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
It may be a handshake issue in that some TVs do it better and faster with some equipment; the HR24 and that particular TV may just be a poor match in that particular regard. You may also need to turn off "Native" to speed it up (choose 1080i as a fixed rez).

·
Mentor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TomCat said:
It may be a handshake issue in that some TVs do it better and faster with some equipment; the HR24 and that particular TV may just be a poor match in that particular regard. You may also need to turn off "Native" to speed it up (choose 1080i as a fixed rez).
Great points. I will definitely turn off the "native" feature. But, Since my TV is a 720p TV, wouldn't it be best to choose 720p as the fixed resolution? It was always my understanding that 720p is better than 1080i (generally speaking).

EDIT: That was it!!! You are a genius. I simply turned off the "native" feature and voila! Thank you so much. Now that that is fixed, the DoublePlay feature is so so so good. I absolutely love that feature. So great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.