DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Mentor
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange situation with my HR34. My AM21 worked fine with my HR24. However now just on OTA channels with the HR34 and just on one TV I get a flashing image. It is intermittent. My first instinct was a TV issue which is connected via HDMI, but I changed cables, inputs, and tried another HDMI source which works fine. The strange thing is another tv that I hooked up with a dual HDMI splitter off the HR34 works fine also. So again, must be the TV i guess....However I can't understand why other HDMI sources work fine on the TV. The corresponding local tv channels via DTV work fine. The AM21 and HR24 worked fine. I have a native set to on so the tv is seeing the same resolution for both OTA and DTV locals.

Any idea what it could be other than some strange Am21 hr34 thing that only impacts certain HDMI handshakes? That is what it looks like. Like it is trying to handshake but can't hold it.

One more thing to add to my HR 34 list.
Any thoughts appreciated. For now, will get my locals from space.
BJB

· Hall Of Fame
1,090 Posts
BJB said:
I have a strange situation with my HR34. My AM21 worked fine with my HR24. However now just on OTA channels with the HR34 and just on one TV I get a flashing image. It is intermittent. My first instinct was a TV issue which is connected via HDMI, but I changed cables, inputs, and tried another HDMI source which works fine. The strange thing is another tv that I hooked up with a dual HDMI splitter off the HR34 works fine also. So again, must be the TV i guess....However I can't understand why other HDMI sources work fine on the TV. The corresponding local tv channels via DTV work fine. The AM21 and HR24 worked fine. I have a native set to on so the tv is seeing the same resolution for both OTA and DTV locals.

Any idea what it could be other than some strange Am21 hr34 thing that only impacts certain HDMI handshakes? That is what it looks like. Like it is trying to handshake but can't hold it.

One more thing to add to my HR 34 list.
Any thoughts appreciated. For now, will get my locals from space.
BJB
I've had an AM21 for a few years now and was using it on my HR24 before upgrading to the HR34.

I have had no issues at all using the AM21 with the 34 what-so-ever. Infact I pick up more stations now since the HR34 Scanns rather then gets it's channels by the guide list from DTV....

At any rate I would thing that it is a handshake issue as you mentioned... Try turning native off and manualy setting the resolution to something capable of being displayed by all the TVs connected to the HDMI splitter natively (use the highest resolution possible for your lowest res set).

· Mentor
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Yoda-DBSguy" said:
I've had an AM21 for a few years now and was using it on my HR24 before upgrading to the HR34.

I have had no issues at all using the AM21 with the 34 what-so-ever. Infact I pick up more stations now since the HR34 Scanns rather then gets it's channels by the guide list from DTV....

At any rate I would thing that it is a handshake issue as you mentioned... Try turning native off and manualy setting the resolution to something capable of being displayed by all the TVs connected to the HDMI splitter natively (use the highest resolution possible for your lowest res set).
Yoda,
Thanks, I just used the splitter for testing purposes. Both TV's support 1080i and 720p which is as high as OTA gets. I tried forcing all to 1080i so the hr34 upscales, and had the same issue. Using my HR 34 for locals set to native, rock solid all weekend.

O well, I'll just live with it for now or else try to swap out the am21.

Thanks,
BJB

· Mentor
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got another AM21 and so far no flashing. But I found this hard to believe....
I had a nice shiny AM-21 which matched the HR34 perfectly. My replacement is an
AM-21N which is a dull matte finish. Not a big deal......but when I called in, I was told that there WAS a difference between the 2 units and they sent me the one they did because it was the one "compatible" with the the HR34. Lets say I have a very high degree of skepticism of that fact. Can this be confirmed?

I guess if it works I can live with it but am curious if anyone has confirmed the difference.

Thanks,
BJB

· Hall Of Fame
1,090 Posts
BJB said:
Got another AM21 and so far no flashing. But I found this hard to believe....
I had a nice shiny AM-21 which matched the HR34 perfectly. My replacement is an
AM-21N which is a dull matte finish. Not a big deal......but when I called in, I was told that there WAS a difference between the 2 units and they sent me the one they did because it was the one "compatible" with the the HR34. Lets say I have a very high degree of skepticism of that fact. Can this be confirmed?

I guess if it works I can live with it but am curious if anyone has confirmed the difference.

Thanks,
BJB
They are identical. the only differance is that an AM21N is a matt finished unit where as the now discontinued AM21 was glossy.

Look here:
http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/AM21N_First_Look.pdf

· Go Pack Go!!!!
2,808 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.