DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my house, we have an HR34 receiver with two IR remotes (his and hers).

In my usual spot in the room, the IR remote does not work well to control the HR34, so I was thinking about getting the Universal RF remote.

Now, if I get the RF remote, will my wife still be able to use the IR remote? If not, could I get two RF remotes and have both of them control the same receiver?

· Registered
16,423 Posts
You can't use both RF and IR at the same time. That being said though unless you get the X-Sight remote that has built in RF support for the DirecTV HR receivers you'll be ok. The rest of the "Universal RF" remotes out there actually use a receiver near the unit it is controlling that receives the RF signal and outputs IR.

For example I have a Harmony 900 remote which uses RF to talk to its receiver. The receiver then outputs IR to control my HR34. So I can use my Harmony 900 RF remote and the DirecTV remote setup for IR at the same time.

· MANC
1,504 Posts
Earguy said:
In my house, we have an HR34 receiver with two IR remotes (his and hers).

In my usual spot in the room, the IR remote does not work well to control the HR34, so I was thinking about getting the Universal RF remote.

Now, if I get the RF remote, will my wife still be able to use the IR remote? If not, could I get two RF remotes and have both of them control the same receiver?
Two Directv remotes set to RF will work fine. ;)

· MANC
1,504 Posts
The same way you set up the first one. The satellite receiver will only display the directions once though, so you have to memorize or write them down or program all the remotes at the same time. Some folks have multiple tv's working off one DVR with RF remotes at each tv. Some just need his and hers.

· AllStar
132 Posts
samrs said:
The same way you set up the first one. The satellite receiver will only display the directions once though, so you have to memorize or write them down or program all the remotes at the same time. Some folks have multiple tv's working off one DVR with RF remotes at each tv. Some just need his and hers.
Thanks, that's why I was confused since the second remote is only working in IR mode the DVR wasn't responding.

· Remote Master
1,820 Posts
Earguy said:
OK, so I've ordered two RF remotes, and will program them at the same time. Thanks guys, let me know if there's anything else I'm missing!
Once you have one RF remote and receiver in RF mode, put them aside, just do the following on second or third RF remotes:

1. dtv, av1, or av2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP
7. enter the last 6 digits of Receiver ID#(RID), found on a sticker in the access card compartment
8. press SELECT

· AllStar
88 Posts
Not to thread jack, but I have a Harmony 880 unopened. Will it work with the HR34?

Thanks!

· AllStar
88 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
2,396 Posts
True, but the 880 isn't RF. In any case the DVR must be in IR mode to work with any universal besides Xsight regardless of whether the remote is RF or not.

Also the OP should use the HR20 profile because others were incomplete last time I checked.

· MANC
1,504 Posts
ekkoville said:
Also, does the ir still work for the TV volume?
Yes, of course it does. It just needs to be programed by the user.

Some folks get different results on RF range depending on any number of factors, you just need to step out on a limb an check it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.