DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Icon
Joined
·
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have 2 DRs, I have 4 wires running from the lnb. If I were to switch one to an HR34, would I need more wires (an indoor splitter?)

Since I'm already hooked up for SWiM, do I just need the 1 sat feed? If I need new equipment, I'll try to arrange a professional install.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
578 Posts
From your post I'm assuming that two of the four wires go directly to each of the two DVRs; that is, your current setup has no switches involved. The HR34 requires a SWM (either switch or LNB). One option would to take the four wires from the dish into a SWM switch, and then a single cable from there to the HR34.

For the one existing DVR that you keep, you can pull a single cable from the SWM to it if it is SWM-capable. If is not SWM capable, you can use the legacy ports on the SWM switch to connect it (you'll need two cables to keep both tuners active).
 

· Icon
Joined
·
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zuf said:
From your post I'm assuming that two of the four wires go directly to each of the two DVRs; that is, your current setup has no switches involved. The HR34 requires a SWM (either switch or LNB). One option would to take the four wires from the dish into a SWM switch, and then a single cable from there to the HR34.

For the one existing DVR that you keep, you can pull a single cable from the SWM to it if it is SWM-capable. If is not SWM capable, you can use the legacy ports on the SWM switch to connect it (you'll need two cables to keep both tuners active).
Correct, I have a SWiM lnb, no indoor switches, and both receivers are swim capable. So is it as simple as swapping one receiver for the HR34?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,178 Posts
Ok, hang on. Do you just have the two DVRs or is there any other boxes? Who installed your SWM system? Based on two DVRs, you should have only one line coming from the LNB, not 4. That's the standard install that DirecTV does.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
578 Posts
I'm a little confused here, too. With a SWM-LNB you should only have a single cable coming from the LNB. That would go to a switch *somewhere* (could be outside, I suppose). From there you should have a single cable to each DVR. The two cables to each DVR setup I described initially would be seen without SWM.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'm not really sure. I'm disabled, and haven't checked it out for myself. I'm almost positive I have a swm lnb. Either way, I suppose I should get it professional installation.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,178 Posts
"ejjames" said:
I guess I'm not really sure. I'm disabled, and haven't checked it out for myself. I'm almost positive I have a swm lnb. Either way, I suppose I should get it professional installation.
Easiest check, press dash on your remote when the receiver is on live TV or playing a recording. If it says SWIM connected, you have it. I'm thinking you don't.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since it should be a straight forward install, I'm thinking of ordering myself for a self-install. (We live in central ND and the earliest a truck roll can be scheduled is September 20!)
Directv will credit my account once I activate the HR34.

Does anyone see a problem with this? How about a good site sponsor from which to buy?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,792 Posts
ejjames said:
Since it should be a straight forward install, I'm thinking of ordering myself for a self-install. (We live in central ND and the earliest a truck roll can be scheduled is September 20!)
Directv will credit my account once I activate the HR34.

Does anyone see a problem with this? How about a good site sponsor from which to buy?
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HR34&d=DIRECTV-HR34-RVU-Server-for-Whole-Home-HD-DVR-(HR34)-

Don't forget this is a leased unit, you won't own this.
 

· DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
311 Posts
Guys - I just had an HR34 added to an existing swm dish feeding four HR21s. The LNB I was using had a single RG6 cable feeding an 8-way splitter. It had a power inserter one of the HR21 DVR cables. However, the installation tech said that would not work with the new HR34 DVR. He replaced my SWM LNB with what looked like old 4-port LNB and fed the cables to what looked like the old SWM switch that I several years ago when I first added the DECA boxes to all four DVRs. He removed the old 19 volt power supply and installed a new 29 volt supply that feeds the new SWM switch via its own RG6 cable. The installer replaced my old SWM splitter with two 8-way splitters.

All the HR21 DVRs work like before. The new HR34 works as advertised. I am trying to figure out why the installer changed out what should have been a compatible SWM system. - Bill
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,058 Posts
w6fxj said:
Guys - I just had an HR34 added to an existing swm dish feeding four HR21s. The LNB I was using had a single RG6 cable feeding an 8-way splitter. It had a power inserter one of the HR21 DVR cables. However, the installation tech said that would not work with the new HR34 DVR. He replaced my SWM LNB with what looked like old 4-port LNB and fed the cables to what looked like the old SWM switch that I several years ago when I first added the DECA boxes to all four DVRs. He removed the old 19 volt power supply and installed a new 29 volt supply that feeds the new SWM switch via its own RG6 cable. The installer replaced my old SWM splitter with two 8-way splitters.

All the HR21 DVRs work like before. The new HR34 works as advertised. I am trying to figure out why the installer changed out what should have been a compatible SWM system. - Bill
Because your previous SWiM system was not compatible when adding the HR34. The SWiM LNB can only accommodate up to 8 satellite tuners.

The 4 HR21s + the HR34 = 13 tuners total. Therefore you need a SWiM-16 outboard module which can supply up to 16 tuners, 8 on each output leg.

Though the tech. should have used smaller splitters.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I ordered from solid signal, and since it will be a straight swap for now, I won't need any additional equipment. Just 2 tvs/DVRs and the ability to record 7 shows at once. I have a 1.5Tb external drive on the HR24 to compliment the 1Tb stock drive on the HR34, so recording space should not be a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've done lots of searching, but am having trouble locating screen shots. I'm especially interested in pics of areas where the 34's epg differs from the HR2x family.

Thank you for all the help.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,058 Posts
ejjames said:
Well, I ordered from solid signal, and since it will be a straight swap for now, I won't need any additional equipment. Just 2 tvs/DVRs and the ability to record 7 shows at once. I have a 1.5Tb external drive on the HR24 to compliment the 1Tb stock drive on the HR34, so recording space should not be a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've done lots of searching, but am having trouble locating screen shots. I'm especially interested in pics of areas where the 34's epg differs from the HR2x family.

Thank you for all the help.
Besides the 5 tuners, RVU capability, and real OTA channel scanning with the AM21, there's really no further differences to that of other HR2Xs;

Physically the HR34 looks like an HR24 on steroids,

Electronic menus are the same as with other models, except for additional ones in the settings for adding RVU clients.

You should enjoy it overall, but I've got to concede its still got its fair share of bugs beyond that of the HR2X models right now which may result in some weird behavior of the unit at times.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top