DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AllStar
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Genie has suddenly without any system changes lost picture. Audio comes through fine. Genie has two minis attached and they both work fine for audio and video. I've rebooted several times, tested HDMI cable, no love. Box is probably about 5.5 years old. Suggestions? Oh, and if there is a support line number I can call with a reasonable chance at success please share. Website is a total joke trying to get support.

·
AllStar
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I will try that. Requires some rack deconstruction. Interesting to me that when I reset the box, the first blue screen "Receiver self check..." appears on the screen, then disappears and none of the other "almost there" messages appear on the screen.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Unfortunately the process of elimination can be difficult. If the issue remains after you swap locations then it's most likely your HR44-500. If not, then there is something wrong at the original location.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Thanks, I will try that. Requires some rack deconstruction. Interesting to me that when I reset the box, the first blue screen "Receiver self check..." appears on the screen, then disappears and none of the other "almost there" messages appear on the screen.
Almost sounds like the hard drive has died except I would think the mini's wouldn't work either. Can the mini's see recordings on the genie?

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
I would try component cables from HR54 to TV.
I'd stop trying to fix it and get it replaced. If all you have is minis with the 44, I'd go with an HS17 as a replacement but that would be an upgrade. The 44s are going to be problematic because of their age and the HDDs inside them. You can get a 54 without it being an upgrade and causing a recommitment if you can talk a CSR into giving you one. If you decide to get a replacement in kind you might want to immediately put a new HDD in it or on it. Or, better yet, an SSD.

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I'd stop trying to fix it and get it replaced. If all you have is minis with the 44, I'd go with an HS17 as a replacement but that would be an upgrade. The 44s are going to be problematic because of their age and the HDDs inside them. You can get a 54 without it being an upgrade and causing a recommitment if you can talk a CSR into giving you one. If you decide to get a replacement in kind you might want to immediately put a new HDD in it or on it. Or, better yet, an SSD.

Rich
I don't disagree with this but my reasoning for trying component cables is to see if it is just the HDMI port on the HR44 or if all video is dead on it.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I don't disagree with this but my reasoning for trying component cables is to see if it is just the HDMI port on the HR44 or if all video is dead on it.
This has the added benefit of not sacrificing all the existing recordings and that's usually an important step before a different Genie is contemplated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts