DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Pioneer Elite VSx33 elite receiver. I have a directv genie hr44, PS3, Roku 3 and a sharp aquos LC-52E77UN. I had everything connected to my receiver with one output to my TV. Lately I have been having an issue usually after my receiver has been on for awhile and switching inputs, the screen usually flickers green/purple, sometimes black, and today I actually saw an HDCP error. This is what I suspected as it started when directv upgraded my receiver and I have read other posts that this is a known handshake issue.

I tried directly connecting the genie to my TV which seemed to work for awhile, but it is still happening, again usually after the receiver has been on for awhile and I switch inputs. Occasionally, the receiver stops responding to the remote and the only work around is a hard power off.

I am willing to try connecting everything to my TV and only have one input to my receiver from TV to troubleshoot but I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue and what their fix was?

I have also read trying to put in a hdmi switch/splitter with HDCP stripping however I tried this and it did not seem to work (and was also inconvenient as I lost HDMI power options when turning on my TV my receiver would not turn on).

Is this a hand shake issue because of the genie hr44? And can it be causing that flickering in my other inputs (Roku, ps3) even though its no longer directly connected to my receiver?

Will connecting everything to tv fix it (and may be adding splitter inline)?

finally, is my av receiver the issue here? Thanks for any input.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
if your AVR is flickering EVEN on other inputs, that points towards your AVR being the culprit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peds48 said:
if your AVR is flickering EVEN on other inputs, that points towards your AVR being the culprit

Thanks for the reply. Usually the flickering will go away if I switch out and come back into the input. My fear is that it is the av receiver as even the pioneer home control menu flickers green when I go into it at times, but my question remains could the HR44 connection (even indirectly) be causing all these issues as I did not seem to have nay problem until it was installed.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
nicojones223 said:
but my question remains could the HR44 connection (even indirectly) be causing all these issues as I did not seem to have nay problem until it was installed.
very doubtful although very easy to trouble shoot. remove it completly, power, HDMI. If it still flickers time to invest on a new AVR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
peds48 said:
very doubtful although very easy to trouble shoot. remove it completly, power, HDMI. If it still flickers time to invest on a new AVR

Damn, unfortunately you were right. Thanks for the input. I disconnected everything except for TV connection and it still flickered when I went into OS menu on the pioneer. I tried switching HDMI cables too but that didn't really help.

·
Icon
1,288 Posts
Could be when you switch inputs on the AVR it triggers another HDMI handshaking negotiation -- especially if it entails a change in resolution. I suspect this might be the case when just going into the "OS menu on the pioneer" too.

One other possibility -- the HDMI connection at the TV's end. Perhaps it's just the one HDMI input -- is there another on the TV you can try?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
makaiguy said:
Could be when you switch inputs on the AVR it triggers another HDMI handshaking negotiation -- especially if it entails a change in resolution. I suspect this might be the case when just going into the "OS menu on the pioneer" too.

One other possibility -- the HDMI connection at the TV's end. Perhaps it's just the one HDMI input -- is there another on the TV you can try?
This is interesting because when I switch inputs on the receiver and the TV registers it when it is flickering green it will come up as 75hz or won't say "video 1080p" on the TV as opposed to when the inputs are switched and there is not an issue the TV will register the 1080p resolution and display "video 1080 p" without any green flickering.

I have checked the HDMI on the TV and I do not suspect this to be the issue only because the directv works perfectly when plugged into the TV. I have also tried other HDMI inputs without any issues (direct connect) I do suspect I can always try on another TV to make sure.

I am also willing to try connecting the receiver to TV via component to see if this will eliminate the problem. Any downside to this? All the sound via HDMi connection to receiver will be handled there so I guess this setup should work correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.