DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was looking to pick up an owned HR44 soon and one thing I had considered is whether or not the recordings on the box from the previous owner would be on it when I switch it to my account. I know the access card part needs to be switched over but I can't find any information on whether or not the system clears out the hard drive during activation with the new card or if the old shows would give me some odd message if I tried to pull them up.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
It won't format, no, but the recordings are encrypted using the card as a "key". You'll have to get a new card and because of that you won't be able to watch the recordings.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,482 Posts
Grushenka said:
I was looking to pick up an owned HR44 soon and one thing I had considered is whether or not the recordings on the box from the previous owner would be on it when I switch it to my account.
Be VERY diligent in your due diligence on this acquisition. Owned Genies that can be activated on another account are particularly rare.

The Access Card Department is the arbiter of this question.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,316 Posts
RunnerFL said:
It won't format, no, but the recordings are encrypted using the card as a "key". You'll have to get a new card and because of that you won't be able to watch the recordings.
I'm not sure I can go along with you on that one. I purchased a HR24 from someone here on the forum a few years back and had to get a new access card. The only shows I could not watch were those I was not authorized to receive.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
fluffybear said:
I'm not sure I can go along with you on that one. I purchased a HR24 from someone here on the forum a few years back and had to get a new access card. The only shows I could not watch were those I was not authorized to receive.
Correct! The shows are not tied to the access card, rather the receiver itself.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Grushenka said:
I was hoping to keep them : (. The one I'm looking at closely has some neat stuff allegedly recorded onto it, and I was hoping it comes with but not sure.
I have purchased multiple owned Genies with recordings on them.

As soon as the new card is installed and unit is hit with an authorization for the new account, it will reboot and delete the recordings automatically.

Out of 5 units, all exhibited this same behavior.

·
"Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"
841 Posts
SomeRandomIdiot said:
I have purchased multiple owned Genies with recordings on them.

As soon as the new card is installed and unit is hit with an authorization for the new account, it will reboot and delete the recordings automatically.

Out of 5 units, all exhibited this same behavior.
Interesting.... i wonder if it's in the receiver programing once it see's a new activated card it reboots or something sent down when card is first activated....

You can activate access cards without being installed in the receiver, just wonder if you activate card and receiver with card not installed, wait a day or two put card in, refresh all services online for all receivers and let it activate that way if it would still reboot and delete ...

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,445 Posts
mexican-bum said:
Interesting.... i wonder if it's in the receiver programing once it see's a new activated card it reboots or something sent down when card is first activated....

You can activate access cards without being installed in the receiver, just wonder if you activate card and receiver with card not installed, wait a day or two put card in, refresh all services online for all receivers and let it activate that way if it would still reboot and delete ...
How ?!

like a virgin could deliver a baby? :D

·
841 Posts
P Smith said:
How ?!

like a virgin could deliver a baby? :D
activate card and receiver with card not installed, wait a day or two put card in, refresh all services online for all receivers and let it activate that way if it would still reboot and delete ...

I have turned on receivers like this before, both where my RV receivers, call and activate while still new in the box. A few days later got hooked up, log on directv.com, Refresh all services... wait a few minutes and receiver comes on. Card and receiver where already activated on account so just sending re-authorization instead of the initial activation maybe would be a different result.... I was just thinking out loud... It may make no difference

You could do the same thing if you called the 1800 number and told automated system you have a 722(card expired) message... it will send re-authorization to all receivers on account also.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,445 Posts
is that mean you are so technically superior and know subtle details about authorization's packets and telling us there is a difference if the packets (nanos) send initially by DTV system vs re-send by user ? wow !!! very smart bums living in Mexico :D

·
841 Posts
P Smith said:
is that mean you are so technically superior and know subtle details about authorization's packets and telling us there is a difference if the packets (nanos) send initially by DTV system vs re-send by user ? wow !!! very smart bums living in Mexico :D
LOL! yep :righton:

·
Hall Of Famer
1,866 Posts
First of all it's actually owned right not leased? I would be wary of that if you bought it from someone, unless you verify RID before actually buying with no balance on previous account

Was there any trouble activating with new access card?

I thought recordings get deleted once it's activated?

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
Is directv even selling owned hr44s? If not I would imagine there is only around a 100 or so owned ones so if be very dillagent as acostampimps mentioned about buying one.

And hey if say don't expect it but you might get lucky. Do not pay more with the idea the content comes with it.

I think the recordings are tied to the rid and not the ac but not sure and sounds like the genies now whipe it clean. So don't know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.