DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had DirecTV installed about three weeks ago, and they provided a new (I think) HR54 DVR. Unfortunately, the thing seems to have an issue with frequently resetting for no (apparent) reason in the middle of watching recorded shows or live TV. ("Frequent" meaning I've seen it happen roughly once every 2-3 days, and since I'm only actually watching TV a few hours a day, it might be happening every day for all I know. I can't find a "time since reset" stat.) None of my other electronic devices (computer, blu-ray, TV, etc) reset or are affected, so it's not like it's a general power failure or brownout.

A few random notes, which may or may not have anything to do with the issue:

>The power saving feature is off.

> Several of the resets have occurred around 8:45 pm local time (CDT). I only post this in case there is anything in particular going on around that time, such as checking for software or guide updates, I dunno)

>I'm using the 10-pin>component A/V connector, not HDMI.

> I have no other DVRs or TVs connected to the system-.

> Software version is "0xd12" according to the info screen.

> DVR is successfully connected to my wi-fi (for on demand, etc.)

Any ideas? Should I just ask for a replacement unit? I hate gremlins like this...why doesn't it "just work".

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I had DirecTV installed about three weeks ago, and they provided a new (I think) HR54 DVR. Unfortunately, the thing seems to have an issue with frequently resetting for no (apparent) reason in the middle of watching recorded shows or live TV. ("Frequent" meaning I've seen it happen roughly once every 2-3 days, and since I'm only actually watching TV a few hours a day, it might be happening every day for all I know. I can't find a "time since reset" stat.) None of my other electronic devices (computer, blu-ray, TV, etc) reset or are affected, so it's not like it's a general power failure or brownout.

> Several of the resets have occurred around 8:45 pm local time (CDT). I only post this in case there is anything in particular going on around that time, such as checking for software or guide updates, I dunno)

Any ideas? Should I just ask for a replacement unit? I hate gremlins like this...why doesn't it "just work".
Plug in an electric digital clock in the same socket / power strip. Make sure it does not have a battery backup in it. Next time it resets see if the time letters are blinking on the clock,
These DVRs are very sensitive to any power change. I had a similar problem years ago and a UPS solved my problem.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts

I'm a firm believer in "if it doesn't work correctly out of the box, return it". I've had many HRs do the random reset thing, you can wait for a new national release (NR), that might fix it. I don't have the patience for that, I'd return it. You get a replacement, if it does the same thing we can figure out what's wrong then. Right now, I kinda doubt you're gonna get much help.

Rich

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
Switch to hdmi. Connection problems could cause it to reset.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk
Not sure how, but if going that route, HDMI could cause more problems then component connections.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've disconnected the unit from the power strip it was on and plugged it into a separate outlet. I also ran the self-test, which reported no errors. I can't use the HDMI connection (easily) because the TV only has one HDMI input, which is occupied.

It's connected to the internet via a typical wi-fi connection to whatever wireless router or gateway AT&T provides for u-verse...I forget the model number. Shouldn't the router manage the IPs to prevent conflicts?

FWIW, it seems like the resets tend to occur when I'm using fast forward or fast reverse to move around within a recorded program, or within the "buffer zone" of live TV. I dunno if that suggests corruption on the hard drive, or something else. (I can't reproduce it within a recording though; it's not like it crashes at a specific time marker.)

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Disconnect the Hr54 from the internet, see if the problem goes away. My guess is that some setting in the router is screwing this up. Multiple connections to the internet can also do this.
Aside from the obvious (duplicate IP addresses), I can't see how a router setting could do that. Don't pretend to know much about routers tho.

Rich

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've disconnected the unit from the power strip it was on and plugged it into a separate outlet. I also ran the self-test, which reported no errors. I can't use the HDMI connection (easily) because the TV only has one HDMI input, which is occupied.

It's connected to the internet via a typical wi-fi connection to whatever wireless router or gateway AT&T provides for u-verse...I forget the model number. Shouldn't the router manage the IPs to prevent conflicts?

FWIW, it seems like the resets tend to occur when I'm using fast forward or fast reverse to move around within a recorded program, or within the "buffer zone" of live TV. I dunno if that suggests corruption on the hard drive, or something else. (I can't reproduce it within a recording though; it's not like it crashes at a specific time marker.)
I have the same issue. Usually fast forwarding a recorded program when it resets. Of course that messes up anything recording at the time. Had them send a replacement receiver and it is doing it too. Tonight was 3rd time in 11 days. I'll try the suggestions here, but glad to see someone else has the same issue!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.