DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new HR54, had it about a month. Also have one Genie Mini client and a standard HD receiver connected. The HR54 has mostly performed beautifully, but at least three times in the month we've had it, it has frozen while doing a basic search for upcoming programs, requiring a red button reboot. It's the stock internal hard drive and we try to make sure it has at least 30% free before going to bed every night. Signal strengths are all in the 90's. Have not yet run Diagnostics Test or BIST. Any ideas? Thanks for any info or suggestions!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've experienced minor freezes that resolve themselves in a few seconds or a maybe a minute. The latest one was at least 15 mins before I hit the red button. Connected to internet via wired ethernet. Comcast is our provider.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
Unplug your Ethernet cable to the internet for a few days, do a Red button reset on all your receivers and see if your issues go away.

If they do then we will have narrowed down the culprit.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Brand new HR54, had it about a month. Also have one Genie Mini client and a standard HD receiver connected. The HR54 has mostly performed beautifully, but at least three times in the month we've had it, it has frozen while doing a basic search for upcoming programs, requiring a red button reboot. It's the stock internal hard drive and we try to make sure it has at least 30% free before going to bed every night. Signal strengths are all in the 90's. Have not yet run Diagnostics Test or BIST. Any ideas? Thanks for any info or suggestions!
Think capacity of the HDD has anything to do with it? I've been told the Genies don't have problems with HDD capacity. I have an HR44-700 with a 3TB internal drive and I do keep mine at about 50%. I trust the member that told me the Genies don't have the HDD capacity problems the 24s have, but I haven't exceeded 50% capacity, so I'm not 100% convinced.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
Nothing and nobody will ever convince me that using that red button to reboot is a good thing. I have tried it on my 44 and had nothing but problems each time. I'd much rather pull the plug.

Rich
I am too lazy. I use the Menu , Reset, Restart my Receiver, - ( minus sign )

·
AllStar
1,410 Posts
Think capacity of the HDD has anything to do with it? I've been told the Genies don't have problems with HDD capacity. I have an HR44-700 with a 3TB internal drive and I do keep mine at about 50%. I trust the member that told me the Genies don't have the HDD capacity problems the 24s have, but I haven't exceeded 50% capacity, so I'm not 100% convinced.

Rich
Got an HR44 (with that same-model drive, I think). I've had it down to 0% once and didn't lose any recordings, so we know it can go just about up to that 3TB capacity of that drive.

I have to add, though, it does sometimes suffer performance and for that I'll handily blame myself keeping it too full.

·
AllStar
1,410 Posts
Nothing and nobody will ever convince me that using that red button to reboot is a good thing. I have tried it on my 44 and had nothing but problems each time. I'd much rather pull the plug.

Rich
I've actually had more problems with menu restarts (and pulling the plug never helped) on the 44 I'm using when it's had problems. (It's a 500, though, if that makes any difference.)

I usually only use the menu for first restart after an update, then RBR 'cause I'm not patient enough to wait for the menu to come back and too lazy to reach down and pull the plug. Usually does the trick for guide-flushing.

No probs with reliability or anything using RBR.

I will, however, menu restart once and pull the plug as soon as the front panel goes dark (I think they call this a "graceful" restart) if I have to do any work with coax connections and such. This also seems to preserve the guide info so it doesn't have to be reloaded.

I've found that the older HR2x definitely benefit from plug-pulling, for what that's worth.

But to the topic, I'd make sure to do two restarts within a half-hour (by any method) to make sure the guide is flushed.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
I am too lazy. I use the Menu , Reset, Restart my Receiver, - ( minus sign )
I should have said if there is no other recourse. I always use the Menu to reboot if I can, if the HR is locked up I use pull the plug. Been doing that for years, no problems.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Got an HR44 (with that same-model drive, I think). I've had it down to 0% once and didn't lose any recordings, so we know it can go just about up to that 3TB capacity of that drive.

I have to add, though, it does sometimes suffer performance and for that I'll handily blame myself keeping it too full.
That's what I was talking about. I never fill any of my large HDDs up. Well, I did before I knew better and had all kinds of problems. I learned.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
I've actually had more problems with menu restarts (and pulling the plug never helped) on the 44 I'm using when it's had problems. (It's a 500, though, if that makes any difference.)

I usually only use the menu for first restart after an update, then RBR 'cause I'm not patient enough to wait for the menu to come back and too lazy to reach down and pull the plug. Usually does the trick for guide-flushing.

No probs with reliability or anything using RBR.

I will, however, menu restart once and pull the plug as soon as the front panel goes dark (I think they call this a "graceful" restart) if I have to do any work with coax connections and such. This also seems to preserve the guide info so it doesn't have to be reloaded.

I've found that the older HR2x definitely benefit from plug-pulling, for what that's worth.

But to the topic, I'd make sure to do two restarts within a half-hour (by any method) to make sure the guide is flushed.
Naturally, with my lack of luck, I've had some real problems with the RBRs. Never had problems with a Menu reboot or pulling the plug.

Rich

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts

Rich
Done thousands of red button resets all without any harm to the STBs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
Do you not understand what "nothing and NOBODY" meant?
Posting my experience bud, no need to get all riled up about it. Not trying to change your POV but rather mention as someone who does this many times a day have seen no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, from the tone of this thread, I take it that occasional lockups requiring a reboot are just a fact of life? I realize the Genie is just a dedicated Linux box and like any computer needs an occasional cleansing reboot. Trying to get a feel for what is normal and usual behavior for these things. And I *did* wonder whether plugging in a 4TB external drive from Weaknees or DVRDaddy might help alleviate any problems related to drive capacity (if, in fact, that is even an issue). As a first step we have decided to do a menu reboot once a week, and to try to keep the available HD space around 40%. We'll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
So, from the tone of this thread, I take it that occasional lockups requiring a reboot are just a fact of life? I realize the Genie is just a dedicated Linux box and like any computer needs an occasional cleansing reboot. Trying to get a feel for what is normal and usual behavior for these things. And I *did* wonder whether plugging in a 4TB external drive from Weaknees or DVRDaddy might help alleviate any problems related to drive capacity (if, in fact, that is even an issue). As a first step we have decided to do a menu reboot once a week, and to try to keep the available HD space around 40%. We'll see how it goes.
I've never had a need to keep a genie hard drive empty. I run mine at 10% free most the time on 4tb drives and don't need reboots to survive. I wouldn't skip recordings....

Have you done what I suggested and unplugged your Ethernet connection and seen if you notice a change yet? Arbitrarily doing reboots doesn't make an issue go away if it's caused by the internet connection or something on your network. Which I fully suspect this is.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts

Rich
I believe that your system and especially its size creates uncharacteristic issues when doing reboots and such, which is why it may handle full unplugs for a time better than any other kind of reboot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.