DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning a DirecTV upgrade and need some specifics on the HR54 limitations.

- It is widely reported that only three users can simultaneously watch programs. Is that true, or is it three clients — can four watch if one is directly connected to the HR54?

-If whole-house video is used to watch a recording on a DirecTV receiver (not a client) does it count as one of the three? If not, is there a limit on these streams?

- Only one 4K stream can be watched at a time, and it must be on a C61K client. So, what defines a “4K stream”? Anything streamed to a C61K client? A C61K client connected to a 4K display (EDID is 4K)? Or is it a C61K client connected to a 4K display that is actually watching 4K content?

More concretely: Can I have

• An HR54 connected to an HD display.
  • Four C61Ks connected to 4K displays.
  • Two sat receivers.

With:

• One user watching live HD content on the directly-connected set.
  • Two users watching live HD content on clients.
  • One user watching live 4K content on a client.
  • Two users streaming recorded programs on the sets connected to receivers.

Thanks in advance…

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
I’m planning a DirecTV upgrade and need some specifics on the HR54 limitations.

- It is widely reported that only three users can simultaneously watch programs. Is that true, or is it three clients — can four watch if one is directly connected to the HR54?

-If whole-house video is used to watch a recording on a DirecTV receiver (not a client) does it count as one of the three? If not, is there a limit on these streams?

- Only one 4K stream can be watched at a time, and it must be on a C61K client. So, what defines a “4K stream”? Anything streamed to a C61K client? A C61K client connected to a 4K display (EDID is 4K)? Or is it a C61K client connected to a 4K display that is actually watching 4K content?

More concretely: Can I have

• An HR54 connected to an HD display.
  • Four C61Ks connected to 4K displays.
  • Two sat receivers.

With:

• One user watching live HD content on the directly-connected set.
  • Two users watching live HD content on clients.
  • One user watching live 4K content on a client.
  • Two users streaming recorded programs on the sets connected to receivers.

Thanks in advance…
Mini's -when watching "LIVE" TV --use a TUNER from the HR54 --the HR54 has 7 tuners --5 for hd and 2 for 4k use.

That also means ant recording you have set up -and have that many MINi's Streaming or watching live tv --you won't be able to record much for lack of a "free" Tuner.

The Hr54 can record 4k and only stream it to one 4K tv over (moco rg6) -to-the C61K --has a HDMI 2.0 that can connect to a 4K TV and Play Live 4K (example) channel 104 --or play recorded 4K content to that TV . The HR54 only has a 1.4 HDMI and can NOT display 4K .

IF you have HDDVR's on your account NOW --I suggest you keep them and add a Hr54 --and only enough c61K's to View 4K where need.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,871 Posts
Mini's -when watching "LIVE" TV --use a TUNER from the HR54 --the HR54 has 7 tuners --5 for hd and 2 for 4k use.

That also means ant recording you have set up -and have that many MINi's Streaming or watching live tv --you won't be able to record much for lack of a "free" Tuner.

The Hr54 can record 4k and only stream it to one 4K tv over (moco rg6) -to-the C61K --has a HDMI 2.0 that can connect to a 4K TV and Play Live 4K (example) channel 104 --or play recorded 4K content to that TV . The HR54 only has a 1.4 HDMI and can NOT display 4K .

IF you have HDDVR's on your account NOW --I suggest you keep them and add a Hr54 --and only enough c61K's to View 4K where need.
That’s not entirely true. The last 2 Tuners were meant for reverse band which isn’t used. So the HR54 only has 5 Tuners. Of which 3 of those tuners can be occupied by a mini. So yes you can watch TV on 3 Minis and the HR54 at the same time. No matter what the HR54 only supports 3 remote sessions A 4K channel uses a tuner just like a HD Stream does. The labeling on the HR54 was adjusted also sometime in the last few years to reflect SWM5 again instead of 7

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, WestDC and compnurd. I think you have answered two of my questions:

1. I can watch four programs at once, one connected to the HR54 and three connected to clients.

2. If I understand you, watching a program on a non-client receiver counts as one of the three streams so I cannot watch a program recorded on an HR54 and streamed to a receiver if I'm already watching programs on three of the clients.

Simplifying question 3: Can I have three C61Ks watching programs on TVs that identify themselves as 4K as long as only one is receiving actual 4K content?

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Thank you, WestDC and compnurd. I think you have answered two of my questions:

1. I can watch four programs at once, one connected to the HR54 and three connected to clients.

2. If I understand you, watching a program on a non-client receiver counts as one of the three streams so I cannot watch a program recorded on an HR54 and streamed to a receiver if I'm already watching programs on three of the clients.

Simplifying question 3: Can I have three C61Ks watching programs on TVs that identify themselves as 4K as long as only one is receiving actual 4K content?
YES, that's how it would work

·
999 Posts
I have 3 c61k clients. Though I'm driving an hs 17. The hs 17 can have upto 8 clients on it 7 only being watched at one time and limited to only 2 4k streams being watched at once. It also has a 2TB HDD. And the server tower does not have a video output for a TV like the hr 54. The hr 54 genie main box will NOT output in 4k it only passes 4k to the minis the hr 54 will record 4k programming to be watched on a 4k client.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts