DBSTalk Forum banner
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,436 Posts
Perhaps Firefox is serving up the ads from cache. Do you normally use Firefox or Safari?

If you clear the Firefox cache (Options/Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Cookies and Site Data: Clear Data and check only the Cached Web Content checkbox), do the ads still appear?

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
I use Safari, Firefox, and Chrome regularly. I always clear the browser cache on all browsers any time I make a change to anything related to networking. Also rebooted the router before testing anything. Also I did the red button reset on the HR54 because it supplies internet to all other receivers.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Using the DNS from above it is blocking ads from this site when using Safari in which I do not have an ad blocker extension installed. In Firefox I have Ad Block Plus installed but I have it turned off for this website and the ads are coming through which means ad block plus is overriding the router DNS. MY C61K still showed the ads. I just did a red button reset on my HR54 and it still is not blocking any ads so that particular DNS server does not block the URL's that DirecTV uses.
I figured it would not work, if it were that easy it is fair to say we would have seen this months ago all over the internet.

·
Super Moderator
53,883 Posts
IIRC creating your own DNS was mentioned earlier in the thread. Using a PI box where the domains can easily be edited (without cracking the router).

·
Super Moderator
53,883 Posts
But nobody has proven that the Rasberry Pi-Hole anti ads program effectively blocks the Directv ads on the Genie receivers.
Nobody?
I finally had a chance to get give this a try and you were correct. I setup a pi-hole DNS ad-blocker. The offending URL from DirecTV/ATT is xandrssads-sponsored.akamaized.net. Right around 39 seconds after hitting the pause button the HR44 tries to resolve that address. Without blocking it the DVR would show the annoying commercials, with it blocked it now goes five minutes to the old pause screen. Thanks for all the help, really appreciated.
One may need to add other domains, but it seems that DNS is a decent approach.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,436 Posts
But nobody has proven that the Rasberry Pi-Hole anti ads program effectively blocks the Directv ads on the Genie receivers.
From one of the curated black lists, almost certainly no.

You could certainly take the list provided and add it to the Pi-Hole URL block list and it will work. Of course you have to tinker with each device and manually set up all of the network connection parameters or modify your router DHCP server settings to make it serve up Pi-Hole as the DHCP assigned DNS server.

You really have to want this bad to go through the hoops if you don't have the capability built into your router.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
My screensaver was popping on way less than 5 minutes also. So I monitored the URL's my HR54 was using and added them all to my Blacklist on my ASUS router and it's back to a 5 minute timeout with the Directv logo moving around the screen. NO MORE AT&T ADDS!!! Below is the list of the URL's I blocked. I'm not sure if you need to block all of them, so you can experiment and remove ones that aren't needed. Good luck!!

nomadnws.dtvce.com
xaaf-be-live.att
xandrssads-sponsored.akamaized.net
pds-stb.dtvce.com
insights-collector.newrelic.com
dtvstb-screensaver.secure.footprint.net
iw.dtvce.com
callback1-stb.dtvce.com
cmd.dtvce.com
stb-plugin-akamai.directv.com.edgesuite.net
bbvds.dtvbb.tv
api.cld.dtvce.com
ums-stb.dtvce.com
analytic.rollout.io
itv-pxy.dtvce.com
I added this list of sites to my Netgear block list and now I see this instead of the ads. :)

Output device Personal computer Computer Gadget Computer monitor accessory

·
Super Moderator
53,883 Posts
Yes point us to it if you have the evidence or the thread where a poster has written about it working long term.
I have no reason to doubt the post quoted.
I do have reason to expect no proof would be acceptable to you.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have no reason to doubt the post quoted.
I do have reason to expect no proof would be acceptable to you.
I don't care about your personal expectations, I'm not trying to solve a murder, trying to discover if there is actually a reliable method to block Directv ads, I have no reason to doubt anyone posting here, however until someone posts results for at least a few months, we can't be certain their solution works.

·
Super Moderator
53,883 Posts
It is worth a try ... which is all I was suggesting before you rudely demanded "proof". The more people try the more this can become a data driven discussion.

Have you tried a pi-hole? Did it fail for you? Did you add the listed URLs to your pi-hole? Can you add a data point to the discussion or just doubt?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,436 Posts
I'm not trying to solve a murder, trying to discover if there is actually a reliable method to block Directv ads, I have no reason to doubt anyone posting here, however until someone posts results for at least a few months, we can't be certain their solution works.
DNS filtering will absolutely work, but it is unlikely to be maintenance-free in the long term. As new server names show up, they'll need to be added.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks read all posts seems like adding all the URLs to my sage M com fast 5260 router helped a lot. Thanks Marsh wondering if there are any more URLs to be added I added all of them and I was wondering it seems like maybe some are not needed and maybe taking resources away from filtering the correct ones? Because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t sometimes it’s five minutes and the balancing Direct Tv and sometimes it’s static ads that don’t move. And it seems like maybe one time was 30 seconds. Not really interested in purchasing blackberry pi add blocker. Are there any other forums or links on this issue that anyone knows of? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Harsh and James long are there any backdoor Easter egg pin codes you can put into the genie remote and get into like service menus maybe there’s something there we can use or change?
Thanks again sorry that meant DirecTV bouncing logo-My last post

·
Registered
12 Posts
My screensaver was popping on way less than 5 minutes also. So I monitored the URL's my HR54 was using and added them all to my Blacklist on my ASUS router and it's back to a 5 minute timeout with the Directv logo moving around the screen. NO MORE AT&T ADDS!!! Below is the list of the URL's I blocked. I'm not sure if you need to block all of them, so you can experiment and remove ones that aren't needed. Good luck!!

nomadnws.dtvce.com
xaaf-be-live.att
xandrssads-sponsored.akamaized.net
pds-stb.dtvce.com
insights-collector.newrelic.com
dtvstb-screensaver.secure.footprint.net
iw.dtvce.com
callback1-stb.dtvce.com
cmd.dtvce.com
stb-plugin-akamai.directv.com.edgesuite.net
bbvds.dtvbb.tv
api.cld.dtvce.com
ums-stb.dtvce.com
analytic.rollout.io
itv-pxy.dtvce.com

Quick update..... I've found if you block the first URL noted above (nomadnws.dtvce.com) your Directv app on your iPad will not load. I'm not sure about if it's the same on an android table.....

Another update..... My video on demand (VOD) failed and I had to remove two more URLs from the list : pds-stb.dtvce.com and api.cld.dtvce.com

Still getting the old screensaver bouncing around with no adds...... :)

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
I think the time frame is about 30 seconds now when I start seeing the ads on my C61K. I had blocked the ads previously on my Netgear router but Netgear throws up a big red screen saying it is blocking something which is as annoying as the ads so I've removed them and just live with the ads. They only come on when I'm not paying attention to the TV so no big deal.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.