DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Saturday, I had an HS17 installed with only 2 C61 Mini’s that are wired. About 2 hours after the installation was completed, I got a message on my TV screen “Updating Software”. Then when the HS17 was rebooting, I have not been able to watch DTV since.

The mini’s have given me messages from “Video Connection Error - Result Code 625”, to Server is rebooting, to Searching for Video. In addition, the HS17 reboots after 5 minutes.

The tech that did the install came back out and replaced the HS17, activated it, and the same thing happened. The tech then replaced the LNB on the dish and the splitter. Still no luck. DirecTV is coming back this Friday to try and fix it.

Does anyone on here have an idea on what is happening? I find it hard to believe that 2 HS17 that the tech had are bad.

Thanks for your help.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,438 Posts
Was this all new cabling or was existing cabling used? I think MysteryMan may be onto something but I'm not sure how it survived the installation testing.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,438 Posts
Existing cabling was used.
Is this cabling home-run from each outlet to a central location? If so, you might try disconnecting the cables to (or maybe just pulling the power plugs on) the Minis to see if you can stabilize the Genie.

The primary goal needs to be getting the Genie up and running because there's no DIRECTV without it. If you can get it going for a half an hour or so, then you can add back the Minis one-by-one and see if the system holds together until a tech can do a more scholarly evaluation.

·
Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How old is your existing cabling?
The existing cabling is 4 years old
Is this cabling home-run from each outlet to a central location? If so, you might try disconnecting the cables to (or maybe just pulling the power plugs on) the Minis to see if you can stabilize the Genie.

The primary goal needs to be getting the Genie up and running because there's no DIRECTV without it. If you can get it going for a half an hour or so, then you can add back the Minis one-by-one and see if the system holds together until a tech can do a more scholarly evaluation.
I’ll give that a try tonight

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Is this your first Dtv installation. Or did you upgrade and if so what dtv equipment did you have

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Upgrade. I had HR54 with an HR24. All the old equipment was removed (including the SWiM). The only thing that remained was the wires.
Then your wiring is FINE --that's why I asked -- keep us posted on what the "TECH" does next time --as you know Without the HS-17 You get NO service as the mini's are Dumb bricks --without the server that does not connect to any TV (NO HDMI) output

·
Premium Member
25,275 Posts
Is there an Ethernet cable plugged into the hs17? If so unplug it and u plug power to the hs17 for a bit then plug it back in and see what happens.

Also do you know how the system is wired? Splitters power supply’s etc? Can you describe it?

·
Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there an Ethernet cable plugged into the hs17? If so unplug it and u plug power to the hs17 for a bit then plug it back in and see what happens.

Also do you know how the system is wired? Splitters power supply’s etc? Can you describe it?
The Ethernet cable is not plugged into the HS17.

The wiring is 1 coax from the dish to a extension adaptor. The the coax goes into a central box where the coax goes into a splitter. There is one line from the splitter to the HS17. There is two coax that go out to the mini’s. There is no power supply for the splitter.

I tried disconnecting the cables to the mini‘s from the splitter and the HS17 still does the same thing.

Tomorrow a tech is coming out to fix the system. My feeling it is the line from the dish or the extension adaptor is bad.

·
Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would like to thank everyone for the help. The problem has been fixed. There were several problems.

1. The room that the HS17 was in was receiving electrical interference. So we moved it to a new room.
2. When the first tech replaced the HS17, he did not change the access card/HS17 info in the DirecTV computer. So the new HS17 was trying to authenticate and was being rejected by DirecTV. In addition, the mini‘s wear trying to find the original HS17.

It is all fixed now.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I would like to thank everyone for the help. The problem has been fixed. There were several problems.

1. The room that the HS17 was in was receiving electrical interference. So we moved it to a new room.
2. When the first tech replaced the HS17, he did not change the access card/HS17 info in the DirecTV computer. So the new HS17 was trying to authenticate and was being rejected by DirecTV. In addition, the mini‘s wear trying to find the original HS17.

It is all fixed now.
Happy Daze --Glad you got it resolved

1 - 17 of 17 Posts