DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Legend
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else getting the HSN on channel 84 ? This could possibly be the first DISH Network channel below 100 ...

I checked the 200 range too and the HSN is still there along with the 20+ other shopping channels.

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
I heard somewhere that certain OTA networks will be carried locally on the same channel number nationwide. This channel number is a "virtural" channel number in the PSIP data. No matter what Rf channel is used to transmit the signal, all EPG's will identify it by it's virtural number (much like the digital OTA stations do today). Evidently HSN is virtural channel 84 (locally it's on an LPTV station with no digital signal OTA). This remapping of the national channel allows E* to not have to carry 100's of individual channels. They can get away with it on HSN, because the local stations carry 100% the same programming as the local stations (however I wonder how HSN stations get their "E/I" requirements met?).

By the way, when I heard about the virtural channels, I heard that TBN will be on virtural channel 75. So the nationally distributed networks (non mainstream as in Shopping and Religious) will all get a channel in the 70 and above range.

· Super Moderator
54,215 Posts
A list is here: http://www.atsc.org/standards/virtual_channels.html

75 is reserved for Tribune Broadcasting in many major cities (Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland, Denver, Dallas, St. Louis, Houston, Chicago, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Hartford, New York, Washington, Philadelphia, Albany, Boston, Miami, and Atlanta). TBNs national use would be a conflict (although Tribune may not use the number at all).

It is all up to the broadcasters to choose and not conflict with these "virtual channel" numbers.

· Legend
109 Posts
Yea I noticed this today I was suprised.I'm getting it on 84 and 222.

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Mike D-CO5 said:
I lock channel 84 out every day and it comes back like a bad penny every morning. So locks don't work on this channel.
What model receiver do you have? On a 921 you can "enable antenna locals" and it will go away (along with all your mapped LIL's).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.