DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to create a HTPC, but I'm lost as to what to get. I need it to pull as little wattage as possible (Under 50 during playback would be ideal if possible). I have all of my media stored on a NAS, so the only thing the HTPC needs to do is act as a client. I rip my DVDs and Blu-Rays to my NAS, and need it to be able to play those back using VLC without any problems, including the high resolution audio. I do NOT need it to be able to rip the discs-my main PC will handle this. I JUST need it to playback content. Obviously it should have an HDMI out, but it should also have a built in GB ethernet port (Not interested in wireless at all). If I could COMPLETELY control it with a remote, that would be great! Pre configured is fine, but I'm also comfortable building it myself, just need component recommendations.
Thanks!

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Herdfan said:
Mac Mini.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1140182/macmini_mediacenter_remotecontrol.html

This article is from 2009 and the new Mini's don't have DVD drives. But you should be able to get a pre-July 2011 Mini on the Apple refurb store. None right now though.
What do they usually go for? Wattage?
Also, not opposed to a "Media Box" like a Roku, but haven't found one yet that works great and can handle everything I want to throw at it. I've got a Western Digital Live Tv Hub and a Netgear NeoTv. When I'm ripping a movie, sometimes I rip just the movie itself, and these can handle that fine, but sometimes I rip the entire disc, and want to be able to play it back like I have the disc in a player. The Netgear claims to handle this, but it doesn't do a very good job (Plus there are other problems with it). However, another requirement that I have of a set top box is that it MUST allow me to playback all VIDEO files in a folder in a shuffle/random order.

· Registered
6,575 Posts

· Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
I use a $99 AppleTV with FireCore aTV Black as a DLNA client. If you want something with a touch more juice you could get a Zotac that would run WIn7 nicely.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,626 Posts
I can't imagine any computer-based HTPC that is going to burn at or under 50W.

I'd suggest you go with a NAS and some clients like the Patriot Box Office that can operate without a transcoder. Transcoding is an enormous waste of energy.

3,148 Posts

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm looking around at reviews and stuff. Wifi streaming isn't that great, but I plan to use wired anyway. Throw a free version of Linux on this, along with VLC, and I think I have what I want! Would putting Windows 7 on it make ANY difference as far as playback or anything?

3,148 Posts
Not as far as I know, hardware acceleration should be supported in Linux.

· Hall Of Fame
2,140 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
I have all of my media stored on a NAS, so the only thing the HTPC needs to do is act as a client.
You don't need a computer at all. WD-TV Live will take care of all of that nicely. I did extensive research on them before I bought mine a couple of years ago, and I still love it.
And it looks like you can use your smartphone as a remote now too.

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

· Hall Of Fame
2,140 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
I have a Live Tv Hub, and it doesn't work on all files, and it doesn't give me Blu-Ray playback like if I had put an actual disc into a player.
I guess I missed that in the original post. I thought you were ripping Blu-rays to the NAS.
My WD-TV plays BR rips all day long.

What software are you using to rip?

· Legend
189 Posts
Marlin Guy said:
I guess I missed that in the original post. I thought you were ripping Blu-rays to the NAS.
My WD-TV plays BR rips all day long.

What software are you using to rip?
Ditto. Do you have the latest firmware? I've got the WDTV Live (not even the Live+, w/ addtl Netflix) and not even close to your Live Hub.

Don't have a DVD (.iso) or BluRay (.m2ts) that it can't handle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.