DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Icon
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new media server software is now available from a company called The media mall that allows you to watch video TV shows, clips from 4 or 5 premium sites on the web.
On my hr21 it works flawlessly and the software is 30$ with a 60 day free trial.
I have not gotten a single error and the quality is quite good. I prefer it to DOD for some content.
the link to download is http://www.themediamall.com/get-it-now and just choose HP media smart TV. It also works on xbox and PS3.
It's awesome give it a try !!

· Registered
14,213 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's a thread about this "PlayOn" software somewhere around here, but I'm not having luck finding it. There's been a lot of good feedback on it, saying it works flawlessly with the HR2x, XBOX 360, etc. One of these days I'm going to have to download it and try for myself!

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
Nice. I think I am going to have to buy a PC to dedicate to media serving with all this streaming stuff happening.

Any suggestions on where to start?

· Godfather
458 Posts
This works pretty well, although I've watched several episodes of "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" and it dies about 10 minutes in. Just stops playing. Anyone found anything similar?

· Hall Of Fame
2,584 Posts
bakerfall said:
This works pretty well, although I've watched several episodes of "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" and it dies about 10 minutes in. Just stops playing. Anyone found anything similar?
Same here. I didn't get around to posting it here because I just tested a few shows, commented on how good it was, then went to bed. I tried watching "The Bob Newhart Show" and, like you, each episode stopped after about 10 minutes.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Still a beta no doubt, and there are some bugs and such. But it does show a very neat concept and works pretty well for a fairly early beta.

The thread where we were talking about this before is down in the club forums I think.

· Legend
212 Posts
bakerfall said:
I read in their forums that Hulu changed the way they stream and people have experienced "lock-ups" at the first break. The developer says they are working on making it more reliable.

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
I am seeing the same stoppage. Seems to be where hulu goes to commercial when it dies.

The media mall website is asking for reports on those issues as they are still in beta.

· Icon
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Playon software seems to work much better on the CE release from last friday than the national release / Those of you seeing video stopping after 10 minutes which version of hr20 are you running.

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
dvrblogger said:
The Playon software seems to work much better on the CE release from last friday than the national release / Those of you seeing video stopping after 10 minutes which version of hr20 are you running.
Did it on both my HR20-700 and HR21-100. Both of which are running 0x274.

· Legend
278 Posts
sounds interesting

I wonder how well it will look on big screen tvs.

· Hall Of Fame
2,584 Posts
dvrblogger said:
Running current CE and seeing the stoppage. It seems that these streams have the commercials inserted into them already. On the web, you can see it changing streams. With this app, they appear in the stream. On the PS3, you can download and save the streams. They come with commercials in the appropriate spots.

· Legend
278 Posts
well...I tried this program yesterday

it worked pretty well on the PS3. video quality was okay. audio was worse but livable. I think it is pretty cool, actually.

I tried it later on the hr-20. I can see shows listed but couldn't get any to play.

not sure what is wrong.

· Yada Yada Yada
4,400 Posts
I tried it also, and I don't have a 360 or PS3. On my HR21's, sometimes it worked, and sometimes it did not. When it did, it looked and sounded surprisingly good (about 85% of the quality of D*'s SD picture and sound)!

Not bad for an early beta.

Two issues:

1) Did not always work. I got can't find content messages sometimes when choosing an exact program. All menus always worked, however. I noticed that pressing 'play' rather than 'select' seemed to work sometimes too. (Could have just been coincidence though, as I could not replicate that all the time.)

2) I got 3 programs to start (all from CBS), and they all died about 10 minutes in........ :mad:

It looks promising, though. And there will be lots of content.

:)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.