1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
It probably wouldn't make a good TV for the kids because it doesn't have the desired inputs for modern gaming consoles.

I'm not sure how creative you can get with all of the cabling required to operate this beastie.

Finally, I'm baffled by the lack of an OTA tuner.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
harsh said:
It probably wouldn't make a good TV for the kids because it doesn't have the desired inputs for modern gaming consoles.
XBOX360; PS3; Wii all have an option to use the standard Yellow-Red-White style connections.

XBOX; PS2; GameCube do as well.

And with the one set of component inputs, you can even go that route.
I think the PS3 is the only one that will have a native HDMI output (until XBOX360 comes out with there's.

An alternative tuner would also have been nice (for OTA), but being that it is an SD system, you would then need to include the hardware to down rez the HD image.

I would hope that if they do build an HD version of this unit, they include an OTA tuner.

The basic: 1 Power Plug; 1 Sat Signal two cables and you are up and running.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Remember that I used the term "desired connections". Even the Commodore 64 used Y/C connections.

·
6 Posts
This seems to be an older thread but I am curious if any one has this set and if they know how the transition to HD and MP4 will effect it? I'd love to grab one up off eBay and use in the kitchen or for a portable set to take outon the deck.

Will the introduction of the all HD DirecTV in September make this peice obsolete or will it still be able to receive SD signals?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
conley_jb said:
This seems to be an older thread but I am curious if any one has this set and if they know how the transition to HD and MP4 will effect it? I'd love to grab one up off eBay and use in the kitchen or for a portable set to take outon the deck.

Will the introduction of the all HD DirecTV in September make this peice obsolete or will it still be able to receive SD signals?
I have the set...

This particular unit is not HD... so the transition from MPEG-2 HD to MPEG-4 HD will have no effect on it..

DirecTV is not going "all-HD" in September... they are just expected to add to their already existing HD offereings... there are no announced, nor expected changes to the SD data stream.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
conley_jb said:
Cool, so there is no reason why these sets will be obsolete? They are dirt cheap now from various sources so it got me wondering why. Obviously its something else, like no HD.
Dirt Cheap? Can you send me a link via PM (and I can post it here).

·
Mentor
45 Posts
I am surprised there is not more discussion on this product. I did not even know it existed. I am very interested in one of these for my workout room. DirecTV is offering a deal through there website directly through Humax. It says "while supplies last". Are they discontinuing this and blowing out the remaining stock?

Also is the DirecTV tuner covered by the protection plan? I would like to hear more feedback on this product.

·
AllStar
81 Posts
I got one off of ebay with now power cord and remote. Can someone tell me where I can get these items?

·
Legend
206 Posts
kcroyaljosh said:
I got one off of ebay with now power cord and remote. Can someone tell me where I can get these items?
I was in the same situation and called Humax (number on their website) and they sent me a remote and power cord. I told them that my remote wouldn't control the volume (RC23) and they sent me an RC22 but I'm still having the same problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.