DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Super Moderator
54,215 Posts
scooper said:
Because Dish is forever prohibited from offering Distant Networks.

You need to read some history to get the whole truth - but that's the one-liner summation.
IF DirecTV is relying on the Distants law to offer the hurricane channel then they cannot offer it in any market where a channel of the same network is carried by DISH nor in the Grade B coverage of any station of the same network (without waiver). Somehow I believe that the distant's issue has nothing to do with the provision of the channel.

· Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
IMHO, if a local station originates coverage about anything, it is free to offer that content for anyone to broadcast it. (Or stream it online, as many stations do for their newscasts.) The distant "local" problem is really a distant network/syndicated content problem.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
levibluewa said:
in your guide. Go to menu..search..hurricane....and it lists 361 KHOU. Then it shows up in your favorites and channel listing.

Round about way, but it works.

My receivers didn't pick it up automatically.
That guy is in Bellingham Washington. KHOU is a Houston, TX CBS affiliate. But....

They are probably feeding a digital subchannel without CBS content. Just my guess, but I don't see how that would differ from providing an open KTLA feed in a wildfire situation. No one has really figured the digital subchannels into the distants equation yet, that I know of. If DirecTV wants to point that out, I'm all for it. Dish, on the other hand, has way too many activities for their attorneys already.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Right, the hurricane coverage is all local--no network or syndicated programming to worry about.

· Godfather
946 Posts
I am viewing WTRK via the internet at http://www.abc13.com the Houston ABC affiliate. I have ties to Houston, so I want to keep up with what is going on down there. I wish that DISH network would do what DirecTV is doing. One would think in a potential national emergency, that the FCC can waive the distant rule.

I say national emergency, because the storm surge is going to nail Texas City and Pasadena which are the locations for 17% of our nation's refining capacity.

The storm is 1mph category 3 right now. Already gale force winds are reaching the Houston area. There is a great deal of flooding in the coastal areas.

· AllStar/Supporter
143 Posts
Having evacuated from Galveston County, WFAA 8.2 is running KHOU's coverage (and I'm guessing all of the Belo stations are doing the same).

When Gustav came toward New Orleans, KHOU carried WWL's coverage (until they ran into signal problems). I'm guessing that Hearst-Argyle got to DirecTV first in New Orleans, and Belo wasn't going to let ABC (13), Fox (26) or Post Newsweek (2) get on the DirecTV Bird...

Jim

· Icon
625 Posts
The clarification that was posted when Directv offered continuous coverage of Gustav from WDSU, New Orleans, was just that. The station was providing continuous emergency info and no network programming. Same goes for the KHOU, Houston, feed. I must say it's nice to have.

Just for the record I'm one of those that believe that we should be able to subscribe to any affiliate station that we want to...PERIOD.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
levibluewa said:
Just for the record I'm one of those that believe that we should be able to subscribe to any affiliate station that we want to...PERIOD.
Amen!

· AllStar
97 Posts
levibluewa said:
The clarification that was posted when Directv offered continuous coverage of Gustav from WDSU, New Orleans, was just that. The station was providing continuous emergency info and no network programming. Same goes for the KHOU, Houston, feed. I must say it's nice to have.

Absolutely!

· Icon
917 Posts
When I first saw DTV announce this for the last hurricane I thought it was a clever gimmick. We have plenty of live coverage on Weather Channel, CNN, MSNBC, and FOX News.

Yesterday FOX even gave us Mike Brown, the guy who blew it as FEMA director during Katrina, as their expert commentator. I thought they must either be desperate or completely up the rear end of the Republicans, or maybe both.

· Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
rtd2 said:
been with dish for 10 years and aint going nowhere but WHY caNt DISH do this?

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=138061&page=4
Why do they need to? I had at least 5 channels covering the thing nationally 24-7 and all the locals out of Dallas had people down there. I know that local weathermen all around the country were not down there but, the national news feeds supplied plenty of Houston coverage.

· Icon
837 Posts
BillJ said:
When I first saw DTV announce this for the last hurricane I thought it was a clever gimmick. We have plenty of live coverage on Weather Channel, CNN, MSNBC, and FOX News.

Yesterday FOX even gave us Mike Brown, the guy who blew it as FEMA director during Katrina, as their expert commentator. I thought they must either be desperate or completely up the rear end of the Republicans, or maybe both.
I saw that too. Couldn't believe they think Mike Brown is an expert. At least CNN had General Honore, the only person with any common sense during Katrina.

The local stations typically have better coverage because they have more people dedicated to covering the story and their reporters know the area. I watched KHOU online yesterday for 30 minutes and got much more information then watching all of the cable news outlets for hours. CNN, FOX, & MSNBC used to use much more of their affiliate's coverage than they do now and I don't know why they stopped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.