DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker - first time poster. :)

Hypothetically - if I determined that MPEG4 channels look great, but require the sub channels as well (Doppler radar, etc.) - is it possible to use the satellite for the networks, but the OTA for the subs? Is it an all of one or all of the other?

Thanks!

Tom
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
35 Posts
you can have a mix of them all. Or you can have them all. Once you hook up and OTA antenna, you can get all of the stations and then you can customize what you see in your guide so that you only tune to the channels that you want.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
IndyTom said:
Long time lurker - first time poster. :)

Hypothetically - if I determined that MPEG4 channels look great, but require the sub channels as well (Doppler radar, etc.) - is it possible to use the satellite for the networks, but the OTA for the subs? Is it an all of one or all of the other?

Thanks!

Tom
1st off :welcome_s

2nd off Yes. OTA will give you the networks and the sub channels.

So. If you have an OTA antenna, an HR20 or H20 and the AT9 or AU9 dish you will get your locals via MPEG2 (OTA) and MPEG4 if you are eligable(Satellite).

Say your channels are:

4 NBC
4-1 NBC OTA
6 FOX
6-1 FOX OTA
12 ABC
12-1 ABC OTA
58 CBS
58-1 CBS OTA

The -1 channels are your OTA channels.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonderful - thanks for the update! I am an HR10 holdout not only waiting for OTA, but D* has not finalized a deal with our local CBS affiliate yet for the MPEG4 (Colts play on that station).

Thank you very much!
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
35 Posts
I should have mentioned that i primarily use my OTA for the extra weather channels, pbs, etc.. then I use D for the major networks. An added bonus as well is that the OTA can be a back up system for say rain fade.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
IndyTom said:
Wonderful - thanks for the update! I am an HR10 holdout not only waiting for OTA, but D* has not finalized a deal with our local CBS affiliate yet for the MPEG4 (Colts play on that station).

Thank you very much!
If you can get CBS OTA then by all means get the HR20, it is a sweet box.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,331 Posts
IndyTom said:
Wonderful - thanks for the update! I am an HR10 holdout not only waiting for OTA, but D* has not finalized a deal with our local CBS affiliate yet for the MPEG4 (Colts play on that station).

Thank you very much!
HR10 or R10? (HR10 is the HD Tivo and does OTA.)

To your point, there are shows that need all the bits that you can get (often sports) so I watch record those via OTA whenever possible. Then there are shows where the HD is very nice, but don't really use or need the whole bitrate, so I can record them via the D* MPEG4 and save some disk space. And there are shows that still originate in SD so I sometimes just grab the SD local rather than MPEG4 and save even more space. You will have complete control. ;)

Cheers,
Tom
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tibber said:
HR10 or R10? (HR10 is the HD Tivo and does OTA.)

To your point, there are shows that need all the bits that you can get (often sports) so I watch record those via OTA whenever possible. Then there are shows where the HD is very nice, but don't really use or need the whole bitrate, so I can record them via the D* MPEG4 and save some disk space. And there are shows that still originate in SD so I sometimes just grab the SD local rather than MPEG4 and save even more space. You will have complete control. ;)

Cheers,
Tom
I have the HR10-250. I was planning on switching to the HR20 until I learned, at the time, that D* had not reached an agreement with 2 of our affiliates (CBS and FOX). To date, Fox is onboard but we are still waiting on CBS. After learning that, I was going to get the box and simply use OTA.

Now that it's rolling out - I will probably order the box once OTA is live in Indy.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top