DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Godfather
360 Posts
I am actually disapointed. All the new services they were going to offer and all the other channels we would have gotten. Oh well. Now that Rupert Mrudoch is going to buy D*, what can he do for it?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Does this mean I can keep my UTV, and not have to switch to an Echostar PVR? :)

·
Mentor
31 Posts
I think this really blows. And what a shock that the good old FCC approves AoL-Time Warner and AT&T-Comcast, but dosent approve the Echostar-Directv merger.

Whats funny to me is that all these big company's that are all merging and getting approved really hurt competion, but the Echostar-Directv merger gets denied. To me this merger really would of helped more then elimanate competion, but oh well right
who really cares about what the paying customer thinks.

·
Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Thank you FCC and Justice......Too bad, Charlie....

·
Hall Of Fame
1,036 Posts
Originally posted by karl_f
Does this mean I can keep my UTV, and not have to switch to an Echostar PVR? :)
I think UTVs are safe. But what about the future of TiVo on D* after Rupe buys it with Microsoft's help? Wasn't MS contributing a large amount of $ in Rupert's bid. Just food for thought.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,660 Posts
I am disappointed that it appears that the merger is going to be denied. I would have enjoyed having my locals (Chattanooga) on satellite, the only way this will happen now is if their is enough room left over on the E8 TN spot-beam after Nashville and possibly Knoxville are placed on the Spot-beam, which I doubt their will be :( . I still feel that the merger would have benefited us consumers more then reducing the number of competitors would have hurt the consumer. I feel DBS needs to be able to offer locals in all markets in order to compete in all markets. The added bandwidth would have allowed more national channels and better pq as well.

One bright spot is that it appears that E* might be getting some or all the professional sports packages over the next year or so with or without the merger. E* now has NHL-CI and it is a strong rumor that the NBA package will likely be announced soon on E* too, and it has bean reported that the E* is in negotiations along with D* to offer NFL-ST next year, can baseball be far behind?

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
It would be nice if the fat lady would sing one way or the other. Just because the government probably will not approve the merger as originally proposed, does not mean that the deal might change in a way that the government would approve. It will probably drag out for a while before it is settled one way or the other.

·
AllStar
81 Posts
Originally posted by Geronimo
What will be the next mass obsession?
Oh, this is not over by a LONG shot...

The earliest that it will end is the late January 2003 date in the deal to gain approvals. If they are not granted, GMH can walk away from the deal....

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
gee I was looking forward to threads attacking the PQ on Cablevision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.