DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Legend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Choice Xtra plus HD DVR and pay 82.99. According to the email I got, my price will go up to 86.99. So I called with questions about what package I could switch to since mine is no longer available, and see if I could save some bucks.

The first guy I got was brain dead. He told me he had no knowledge of the price increases (or specifically what the new prices would be) and that the only change I would see is that I would lose channel 2. He told me to call back in a few weeks and that I should not worry because the new price would only be $3 or $4 more.

I called back and got a much better CSR. She was much more helpful. She told me my current package was eliminated a long time ago and went over the new prices for me although she also could not tell me what my new price would be (even though I had it in an email!). She was however able to tell me what the new prices will be of the current packages, and how they compare to what I get. I asked why it seemed like on the web site it appeared that the prices quoted included the HD channels listed that I was paying $10 extra for and she assured me they didn't. The way she explained it, the only way to see those channels is to have a HD receiver and to get the HD receiver you have to pay the extra $10 a month. She's good!

She also shared with me the Select package which I could switch to now but will no longer be available after Feb 9. I forgot to ask what the lowest priced package would be after Feb 9. I assume the regular Choice which will be 63.99? With HD at $10 and DVR at $9, dropping to Choice will keep my price the same as it is now but I will lose, she said, over 60 channels (20 of them music) including NBA and Versus.

Bottom line, if I do nothing my price goes to 86.99. If I try to change packages to save money, I can't. Choice would cost the same with less channels and the others would increase my cost because of the $18 HD+DVR fees.

If I am wrong on any of this please let me know. Trying to stay informed! Been with them since 1996 but this may be the end.

· Hall Of Fame
1,743 Posts
pigskins said:
I currently have Choice Xtra plus HD DVR and pay 82.99. According to the email I got, my price will go up to 86.99. So I called with questions about what package I could switch to since mine is no longer available, and see if I could save some bucks.

The first guy I got was brain dead. He told me he had no knowledge of the price increases (or specifically what the new prices would be) and that the only change I would see is that I would lose channel 2. He told me to call back in a few weeks and that I should not worry because the new price would only be $3 or $4 more.

I called back and got a much better CSR. She was much more helpful. She told me my current package was eliminated a long time ago and went over the new prices for me although she also could not tell me what my new price would be (even though I had it in an email!). She was however able to tell me what the new prices will be of the current packages, and how they compare to what I get. I asked why it seemed like on the web site it appeared that the prices quoted included the HD channels listed that I was paying $10 extra for and she assured me they didn't. The way she explained it, the only way to see those channels is to have a HD receiver and to get the HD receiver you have to pay the extra $10 a month. She's good!

She also shared with me the Select package which I could switch to now but will no longer be available after Feb 9. I forgot to ask what the lowest priced package would be after Feb 9. I assume the regular Choice which will be 63.99? With HD at $10 and DVR at $9, dropping to Choice will keep my price the same as it is now but I will lose, she said, over 60 channels (20 of them music) including NBA and Versus.

Bottom line, if I do nothing my price goes to 86.99. If I try to change packages to save money, I can't. Choice would cost the same with less channels and the others would increase my cost because of the $18 HD+DVR fees.

If I am wrong on any of this please let me know. Trying to stay informed! Been with them since 1996 but this may be the end.
Option 1
Choice $63.99
HD Access $10
DVR FEE $8
--------------
Total $81.99

You would save $5.00 by downgrading.

Option 2
Choice Xtra $68.99
HD Access $10
DVR FEE $8
------------------
Total $86.99

No difference from your current package.

Note: If on Auto-pay you could ask for FREE HD Access for 24 months.

· Legend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right! Thanks for checking and correcting my math! Funny how a $4 increase makes us do crazy things but a $5 savings doesn't sounds like much.

I do have auto-pay and will ask about that!

· Hall Of Fame
1,284 Posts
pigskins said:
Right! Thanks for checking and correcting my math! Funny how a $4 increase makes us do crazy things but a $5 savings doesn't sounds like much.

I do have auto-pay and will ask about that!
Tell them you're a Pirate fan....maybe they'll throw a few more credits at you! :D

· Legend
151 Posts
bixler said:
Tell them you're a Pirate fan....maybe they'll throw a few more credits at you! :D
they don't throw much at us Pirates fans, with the exception of maybe a hanky to wipe our tears of sadness. lol

· RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
I just can't figure out for the life of me why ANYONE would have the "Choice" package when "Choice Extra" is only five bucks a month more. What is five bucks today? You can't even get a sub sandwich for that but Choice Extra has a bunch of nifty channels that Choice doesn't.

It would be nice if DirecTV came out with a new programming package arrangement that made sense like DISH has. At least their packages are quite different from one another and are also quite different in price. And their lowest cost package doesn't just include "junk" channels like DirecTV's lowest cost package.

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
ThomasM said:
I just can't figure out for the life of me why ANYONE would have the "Choice" package when "Choice Extra" is only five bucks a month more.
Well, I can't figure out why I have Choice Extra. Just looked, and I don't have any of the Choice Extra Channels in my Customized Guide, so I don't watch any of them.

I do have Sprout and NickToons on the Kids DVR, so I guess I've been paying $5 per month for those two channels.

· RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
spartanstew said:
Well, I can't figure out why I have Choice Extra. Just looked, and I don't have any of the Choice Extra Channels in my Customized Guide, so I don't watch any of them.

I do have Sprout and NickToons on the Kids DVR, so I guess I've been paying $5 per month for those two channels.
My point exactly. Isn't your kids TV enjoyment worth a crummy $5 a month?

· Hall Of Fame
3,913 Posts
ThomasM said:
I just can't figure out for the life of me why ANYONE would have the "Choice" package when "Choice Extra" is only five bucks a month more. What is five bucks today? You can't even get a sub sandwich for that but Choice Extra has a bunch of nifty channels that Choice doesn't.

It would be nice if DirecTV came out with a new programming package arrangement that made sense like DISH has. At least their packages are quite different from one another and are also quite different in price. And their lowest cost package doesn't just include "junk" channels like DirecTV's lowest cost package.
Its a marketing strategy to get most subscribers to choose "Choice Xtra", where Xtra = $5/mo (x millions of subscribers) more revenue for DIRECTV. It like going to a fast food restaurant and buying a Coke. The regular is $1.79, large is $1.89 and the jumbo is $1.99. So hardly anyone chooses the regular, since for $.20 you can get the jumbo (Although with free refills, you should choose the regular, unless your taking it to go).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.