DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why everyone who has an HR20-700 installed and is experiencing problems is so astonished that they are having issues. You are pretty much on the bleeding edge of D*'s receiver line and you expect it to be perfect right out of the chute.

Do you get on a Microsoft forum or Linux forum and b*tch that your machine rebooted every time an application crashes or you lose a term paper or resume?

I knew there were going to be issues and I ordered it anyway. I like being on the bleeding edge and finding ways to make things work. If something doesnt record, oh well. Its just TV and I have many more important things to get overly excited about in my day to day existence than whether or not I got to see my favorite team play their game or whether the CSI's were able to solve their latest case. :rolleyes:

Im not trying to start a flame war or disparage anyone, but come on folks, you knew what you were signing up for before it hit. I find it hard to believe that you are all *that* surprised that there were/are/will be issues for the near and forseeable future. :D

Maybe I'm in the minority in my thinking, who knows...

--R

· Registered
5,451 Posts
I believe most people on the forum are here to report things that are found so they can be passed up to the D* people and fixed. Not to mention all the helpful tips to work around some issues and even find out how to set up some of the features that are avaliable.

With that said...
Did you find anything in here that you did not know or was helpful?

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spanky_Partain said:
With that said...
Did you find anything in here that you did not know?
Heck yea, tons of info! However I see people calling the receiver a POS, crap, wish they had their HR10-250's back, etc. and while I have experienced a few glitches, overall I am quite happy with the HR20-700 and while Ive had to relearn some of the things I used to be able to do in my sleep on my HR10-250, I think this receiver is much better (IMHO) than the TIVO unit which was slow, and would sometimes lockup and reboot for no reason at all as well.

I guess what I was trying to get across was that to be on the bleeding edge means that you will occasionally have to bleed a little bit and that is something I am willing to do when it comes to technology.

· Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
RickD2003 said:
Heck yea, tons of info! However I see people calling the receiver a POS, crap, wish they had their HR10-250's back, etc. and while I have experienced a few glitches, overall I am quite happy with the HR20-700 and while Ive had to relearn some of the things I used to be able to do in my sleep on my HR10-250, I think this receiver is much better (IMHO) than the TIVO unit which was slow, and would sometimes lockup and reboot for no reason at all as well.

I guess what I was trying to get across was that to be on the bleeding edge means that you will occasionally have to bleed a little bit and that is something I am willing to do when it comes to technology.
I think many people in this forum realized what they were getting when they signed up for one of these receivers. Perhaps they signed on because they got an unbeatable deal to do so.

However, I do think there are many people out there who simply called D* because they wanted HD and a DVR. They were told this was the only box they could get. And they likely found this forum afterward.

I also think there are many people out here who paid serious money to get this box. Not too many of them want to hear about paying the price for being on the cutting edge. In their minds -and I would agree- they have already paid the price to be on the cutting edge.

Being on the cutting edge does not always (and should not) mean you have to deal with bugs and failures. We should have higher standards than that.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,579 Posts
RickD2003 said:
why everyone who has an HR20-700 installed and is experiencing problems is so astonished that they are having issues. You are pretty much on the bleeding edge of D*'s receiver line and you expect it to be perfect right out of the chute.
Not so much the longtime readers here, but if you listened to the DirecTV marketing hype, the HR20 was declared "solid" back in August.

People are shocked because they were mislead. They didn't know that the marketroids were spinning tales about reliability. They didn't know that the HR20 wasn't just another in a long line of DirecTiVos. If they had noted that the HR20 was going to be based on the problematic NDS designs, the resentment would be less justified.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
harsh said:
People are shocked because they were mislead. They didn't know that the marketroids were spinning tales about reliability
Im in technical sales so I guess Im used to cleaning up the mess that the sales weenies (no offense to any said sales weenies on here) create so maybe in that respect I have come to expect issues and problems and actually almost depend on them being there.

I think everyone has made valid points, but I never expect a ".0" product to be free of any bugs.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers but was just amazed to see all of the negative opinions on here given that IMHO this is a much better feeling box (to me at least) than the HR10-250.

I hope D* can clear up some of the lingering little issues that seem to be plaguing everyone and truly make this a "flagship" receiver for themselves.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jaywdetroit said:
Being on the cutting edge does not always (and should not) mean you have to deal with bugs and failures. We should have higher standards than that.
As I stated in my last reply, Im in technical sales and work with alpha level hardware all of the time so I guess Im used to seeing issues and almost come to expect them (irregardless of platform (Satellite, Intel Server, AMD Servers, etc...)

I've been playing with an 32 way dual core machine and have seen issues with it that some firmware updates fixed and am eagerly awaiting a 32 way quad core machine to start playing with which Im sure will have its fair share of issues until the firmware catches up to the issues.

I agree that we should have higher standards, but I am also of the mindset that you cant have every single bug worked out at release, but some of the ones that have hit some of the users here definitely should have been caught before anything was released.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.