DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Godfather
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from "sunny" Denver. Heavy snow here in the SW suburbs. The only channels I am able to receive are the SD ABC and CBS locals. Nothing on SD NBC -- also the station which, for some unknown reason and unlike their local competitors, does not broadcast their HD programs in DD 5.1.

Question: Do the SD locals use the same satellite? If so, why do I get ABC and CBS, but not NBC? Does NBC degrade their signal or something? Does anyone have any kind of explanation for why NBC would not broadcast HD in DD 5.1 when the other local stations do?:)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
kram said:
Greetings from "sunny" Denver. Heavy snow here in the SW suburbs. The only channels I am able to receive are the SD ABC and CBS locals. Nothing on SD NBC -- also the station which, for some unknown reason and unlike their local competitors, does not broadcast their HD programs in DD 5.1.

Question: Do the SD locals use the same satellite? If so, why do I get ABC and CBS, but not NBC? Does NBC degrade their signal or something? Does anyone have any kind of explanation for why NBC would not broadcast HD in DD 5.1 when the other local stations do?:)
HD and SD don't use the same SAT.

Other then DirecTV is having issues receiving your NBC SD feed, don't know why. Is your dish caked in snow?

As for the DD 5.1 that is an affiliate thing. and usually means usually they are having hardware issues.

·
Godfather
253 Posts
Also enjoying the sunny weather near the El Paso, Douglas and Elbert county convergence. I am recieveing the Denver channels in HD ABC 7, NBC 9, and CBS 4.

·
Godfather
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
HD and SD don't use the same SAT.

Other then DirecTV is having issues receiving your NBC SD feed, don't know why. Is your dish caked in snow?

As for the DD 5.1 that is an affiliate thing. and usually means usually they are having hardware issues.
Cleaned the dish off -- although this one is a little harder to reach than the 3LNB. NBC came back for a few minutes, but then pixelated and disappeared. No such problems with ABC and CBS. These two are the only channels working at this time.

·
Godfather
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dpfaunts said:
Also enjoying the sunny weather near the El Paso, Douglas and Elbert county convergence. I am recieveing the Denver channels in HD ABC 7, NBC 9, and CBS 4.
Really???? Guess I'll try cleaning the dish again.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Might I suggest a dish heater?

·
Godfather
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LameLefty said:
Might I suggest a dish heater?
There is such a thing?

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Sure - do a google search. I don't know if there's one yet for the AT-9 dish but I'm sure there will be soon otherwise. I don't live in a snow-prone area (we get a "blizzard" of about 4" once or twice a year, up to 10" maybe once every 5), so it's never been much of a priority for me.

·
Godfather
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LameLefty said:
Sure - do a google search. I don't know if there's one yet for the AT-9 dish but I'm sure there will be soon otherwise. I don't live in a snow-prone area (we get a "blizzard" of about 4" once or twice a year, up to 10" maybe once every 5), so it's never been much of a priority for me.
Thanks. They're kind of on the expensive side -- $150 for one that fits the AT-9. If it looks like we're going to break the pattern and have a "real" winter here, I may consider getting one, though.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
I'm with ya, plenty of nothing this morning in Boulder. AT-9 is now on the roof, due to its size, so cleaning it off is impractical for a bit. I may have to look into the heater myself. Hopefully it is just this heavy, wet snow causing the issue today, rather than our usual Colorado light fluffy powder! ;-)

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
BoulderBri said:
I'm with ya, plenty of nothing this morning in Boulder. AT-9 is now on the roof, due to its size, so cleaning it off is impractical for a bit. I may have to look into the heater myself. Hopefully it is just this heavy, wet snow causing the issue today, rather than our usual Colorado light fluffy powder! ;-)
This may be the 1 time when you DO want to touch something with a 10-foot pole - preferably with a broom head on it. :)

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
This may be the 1 time when you DO want to touch something with a 10-foot pole - preferably with a broom head on it. :)
I *wish* it was 10 ft, more like 30 ft. now, given its placement above our basement, first floor, second floor! ;-) Wife reports it is back on now, however!

·
Godfather
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went out again and knocked as much snow as I could off the dish. Yes, it is quite a heavy, wet snow. The weight of it pushed my bird feeders way off kilter on their pole!

Anyway, it seems to be clearing a bit -- at least the snow isn't falling as heavily as it was earlier. And now all my channels are back, including all HD.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.