DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legend
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know this, some of you may not, and some of you may not care! :lol: But this capability I describe below is new for Dish, according to their sales personnel:

I was originally told by Dish that I had to have one of their packages (50 channel, 100 channel, etc.) before they would let me have any premium movie channels. Since I am only interested in movies, I became insistent. My salesperson checked with management, then told me that I COULD have just premium movie channels. I now have just the 29 premium movie channels (in 4 movie packages) and no other services with Dish. FWIW, they had to upgrade the software in my PVR 501 before the system would work this way. I paid a year in advance, which cost me $407 for all 29 premium channels plus a $60/year access fee. There's no requirement to pay a year in advance, but they reduced the overall cost about 8.3% (1 free month) for me this way.

Now if they would just offer a la carte channels I'd be a happy camper!

- Bill

·
Legend
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
They have always had this, you will pay an additional $5 a month for not having a minimum package though, so dont be suprised. :)
Yes, that's the $60/year acccess fee I mentioned. FWIW, I've dealt with a number of their sales people and none of them seemed to know that you could get just premium channels, which is why I posted this info. Since people here sseem to already be aware of this capability . . . never mind! :lol:

- Bill

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
Did you also get the Encore channels: Mystery, Action, Love, WAM, etc that come in the AT150? I am also interested in going just movies but don't want to lose those channels.

Thanks.

·
Legend
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by DarrellP
Did you also get the Encore channels: Mystery, Action, Love, WAM, etc that come in the AT150? I am also interested in going just movies but don't want to lose those channels.

Thanks.
No - just the 4 "premium movie packages" identified here:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/movies/index.shtml

FWIW, I wanted also wanted TCM, AMC, and Sci-Fi, but could only get these by getting the AT100 package or better! :(

-Bill

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Darrel, 6 of the 8 Encore theme channels are available a la carte for $4.99 a month. You get Encore (West--east is part of the Starz package), Action, Mystery, Love, True and Westerns.

You can add just these channels to any package or other programming you want. It's called the Encore Movie Pack.

WAM is NOT part of the package.

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony

·
DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru
443 Posts
Z'Loth, the only thing required for cable is that the sub has to have the most basic package that includes broadcast stations (IE: Lifeline) before adding other channels or packages. So you could have Basic, and HBO, but you don't have to have Basic & Expanded Basic to get HBO.

·
Legend
181 Posts
Comcast requires lifeline cable service for cable modem service. Its $9.10 then $39.99 for cable modem.

I thinks its a ploy to keep subscriber count higher, CN8 viewership high (CN8 and QVC are part of the broadcast basic service here). Comcast here charges $17 for HBO. Does any other cable system charge $17 for HBO? (3 channel package).

Taking HBO on Dish with $5 Access Fee would be a better value, plus you get onscreen guide information. Its little more expensive but you get PPV access also.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,657 Posts
Here they charge about $15 for one channel and then the basic 23 channel package which is all you can get which is about $30 a month. Thats $45 for not very many channels and 1 HBO.

On Dish you could get top 50 and 6 or so HBO's for only $37, $42 if they had the locals available here, so it would still be cheaper and for more channels. Also the cable here is analog, not digital.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
Originally posted by TNGTony
Darrel, 6 of the 8 Encore theme channels are available a la carte for $4.99 a month. You get Encore (West--east is part of the Starz package), Action, Mystery, Love, True and Westerns.

You can add just these channels to any package or other programming you want. It's called the Encore Movie Pack.

WAM is NOT part of the package.

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony
Thanks, Tony, I was unaware of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.