DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came down this morning, saw the blue ring of death and thought thats quick for another update (which I havn't had a problem with, except the ota deal). But no it was better, had a bit of a power outage over night, and now the hard drive is wiped clean. Call D* and they say that "ya that happens sometimes when the power is interupted, I can give you a credit for 5 bucks/3 months". WTF. Thats how their running that place now. 1 year 1 month left (now I know why they do that s***) and hopefully U-verse will get their s*** together by then. I hope Discovery replays Planet Earth one more time.
:nono: just ain't right

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Was your DVR on an uninterruptible power supply? If not, then you have no one to blame but yourself. To hold D* responsible for something caused by the power company (and your lack of providing proper protection) is inappropriate.

Fortunately D* had the foresight to put the reformat process on an eprom so you woke up to a working DVR instead of the need to ship it off for repair or replacement.

·
Icon
553 Posts
SeattleSteve said:
Was your DVR on an uninterruptible power supply? If not, then you have no one to blame but yourself. To hold D* responsible for something caused by the power company (and your lack of providing proper protection) is inappropriate.

Fortunately D* had the foresight to put the reformat process on an eprom so you woke up to a working DVR instead of the need to ship it off for repair or replacement.
Sorry, but losing power - even unexpectedly - should not cause the drive to be wiped. Even Microsoft figured that out a long time ago. Can you image the chaos if PCs reformatted when they unexpectedly lost power - even a small percentage of the time? And many people on this site defend this as a "feature" ???

The only time that wiping the drive automatically *might* be acceptable is if there is a physical surface defect, which a power outage should never cause these days. Even then, you're only asking for trouble.

digdug73, I'm sorry for your loss. Only once (thankfully), one of my HR20's decided to wipe its drive for no apparent reason. I lost the entire season of Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders in HD :(

·
Icon
553 Posts
digdug73 said:
So every time this thing is unplugged, its a crap shoot if your going to have the recordings. If PC's did that, where would we be. What a bunch of crap.
I wouldn't go quite that far. After several months with 2 HR20's, I've only had the one "wipeout" incident. And it was for no apparent reason - not power related.

OTOH, I do have mine on a UPS so they've rarely lost power.

Bottom line, though, is that wiping the drive (even if there is a problem) without the user's explicit approval is unacceptable.

·
RIP
6,198 Posts
A UPS is always a good idea with a computer, but if it was mandatory for proper operation then DirecTV should have built it in or include them in the installation. Sorry you lost everything. Keep an eye on the the device and if you see any other problem might be time to call for a swap.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
digdug73 said:
cover, thanks
I had a 750 with 48% available.
It sucks but its just tv.
Was this a Seagate FAP 750 eSATA drive...

known issue with this one, it doesn't spool up as fast as some drives which may account for your issue here, it shouldn't but it could.

Probably the cheapest insurance policy against this and other issues involving DirecTV hardware and external HD's is a small UPS. It eliminates the possible problems.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,523 Posts
No offense, but it kind of makes sense if you had a power outage and use and external box. Unless your external HDD boots fast, the DVR will be up before the external box and therefore start using the internal right?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,523 Posts
digdug73 said:
it is internal and been in there since day one
Damn, sorry. One other thing of note could be if the power fluctuated after being off. LIke a quick off and on...that would cause some problems for the box if started coming up and then got shut off again real quick.

·
Godfather
544 Posts
digdug73 said:
So every time this thing is unplugged, its a crap shoot if your going to have the recordings. If PC's did that, where would we be. What a bunch of crap.
Agreed. It's like "the sky is falling" scenario. A power loss should not cause an issue (other than a recording in progress) and should not need everyone to have a UPS. If having a UPS give you a "warm and fuzzy", then go for it. I have been building PCs for years, had multiple cable DVR boxes and now sat STBs and have had no issue that need a UPS (other than the "record in progress").

·
Hall Of Fame
1,764 Posts
goober22 said:
Agreed. It's like "the sky is falling" scenario. A power loss should not cause an issue (other than a recording in progress) and should not need everyone to have a UPS. If having a UPS give you a "warm and fuzzy", then go for it. I have been building PCs for years, had multiple cable DVR boxes and now sat STBs and have had no issue that need a UPS (other than the "record in progress").
Anytime power is removed from a computer (aka hard reset) without going through a normal shutdown proceedure you run a chance of losing the hard drive and seeing a fault on boot. Seen it happen on windows, linux, unix system, the dvr is no different it runs the chance of wiping the drive on a hard crash

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.