DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had a land line phone hooked to my receiver dating back quite a few years. I suppose I am not getting the receiver software updates, is it possible without connecting the phone line?

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Depends on the receiver. The Tivo based receivers were the ones that are notorious for not getting updates unless they are connected to a phone line.

Because of where my receiver is, I did not have a phone line for 10 yrs or so to its location, it now does have its own phone line though for Caller ID ;)

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Any of the current direcTV branded IRDs get their software automatically updated no matter if there is a phone line or not. Older IRDs rarely get updates anymore.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Bigrig11 said:
I have a RCA DRD420RE receiver.
I am so, so sorry.

The RCA interface is horrible, and the design of their boxes (the sloped front ones) is bad, bad, bad. At least they are fairly reliable.

If it was mine, I'd "accidentally" spill some Pepsi on it and get DirecTV to give me a nice D12, or, heck, even a D10.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Bigrig11 said:
You should consider calling DIRECTV and see if they can promote you to a newer receiver. If you have a new HDTV, you may even want to consider an HD receiver. If you do call them, this will likely put you under a contract term, but if you've been around sinde the old RCA days then that is likely not a problem for you. :)

The newer receivers are going to have a different interface than what you are using now, though.

· Registered
4,042 Posts
Bigrig11 said:
Old, and its memory is not large enough for all the new channels (so it drops what it thinks is useless data from the guide).

If I remember correctly that unit got its software updated via satellite.

The only thing you will get by attaching a phone line is the ability to order PPV by using the remote.

You also might get an unexpected (and unwelcome) surprise on your bill when it phones in and reports all those PPV purchases that were made on it over the years.

· Icon
555 Posts
IIP said:
I am so, so sorry.

The RCA interface is horrible, and the design of their boxes (the sloped front ones) is bad, bad, bad. At least they are fairly reliable.

If it was mine, I'd "accidentally" spill some Pepsi on it and get DirecTV to give me a nice D12, or, heck, even a D10.
The sloped front is GENIUS
It makes certain you're not sandwiching it between two other units....guaranteeing that it doesn't get heat damage by being between two other hot things.

Perhaps that is WHY they were "fairly reliable":lol:

· Cool Member
19 Posts
Bigrig11 said:
I have one of those, It still works my daughter uses it in her room.

Can't wait for it to die so I can finally replace it. Of course she wants a DVR. =)

· Legend
168 Posts
Yay for old receivers :D

I think that RCA is around the same age as my Hughes HIRD-E11. I've never changed it because it's the primary receiver and I've heard many stories of grandfathered packages and such getting screwed up when deactivating it.

It's still on an old tube TV anyway, so it's not that big of a deal... unless you try to use the guide.

· Icon
704 Posts
I still have that Hughes HD receiver (the original one). It's not hooked up to DirecTV though... just the antenna. I use it ONLY for checking digital signals periodically to see if any of the station went "live" digitally that hasn't. I also use it to tweak my antenna on certain channels. Every now and then, I'd use "input" on my TV to that receiver and go from channel to channel to see if there's any "new" signal on certain channels. I can't wait for 2/17/2009 (actually, it might be later for me before I check because I use it at my "summer" residence) to see if I receive any "new" channels when MOST station goes straight digital with more power!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.