DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· AllStar
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
However, I like many of you, come Feb.1st, will be going to one of the turbo packages. I have a VIP 622 & 625. Will the HD programming appear, on the 625, though in standard definition, or will I have to get another HD receiver?

Thanking you in advance.

· Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
The way that I understand it, you will need a new HD receiver. Turbo is mpeg 4 only therefore, a 625 would not work.

· Hall Of Fame
4,010 Posts
I do not believe Dish can legally just delete the whole HD absolute package for everyone that has a subscription to it (even though they have the right to change programming without notice).

The elimination of an entire programming package and forcing subs to pay double for similar programming may be prohibited. (Courts have ruled such tactics as breach of contract or similar).

I will keep my HD Absolute in February if at all possible because I get the HD programming AND most of those channels in SD on my older receivers also.

I have never had my local RSN and do not need it so HD absolute is just fine for me.

· Super Moderator
54,215 Posts
On the receiver question:
Sorry, a 625 won't work with a "100% HD" package.

On the package question:
DISH has typically left customers on discontinued packages for years. The only reason to end a discontinued package is when the technology has expired (for example, when 8PSK receivers were required for HD and now MPEG4 receivers are being required for HD). DISH left the QPSK HD channels up as long as practical as they encouraged people (mainly through offering a better product) to upgrade to 8PSK modules and receivers. Now (starting two years ago) DISH is left the MPEG2 HD channels up and encouraged people (again via offering a better product) to upgrade to MPEG4.

I expect that DishHD absolute will remain available until DISH no longer offers 8PSK MPEG4 HD service. Well, perhaps not that long - but knowing that DISH still has grandfathered "HDPack" customers paying $9.99 for five HD channels (instead of $10 for many more) I don't see them dumping those who are paying $29.99 for whatever they are getting on February 1st 2009 ... I just expect DISH to keep making the TurboHD offerings better until no on wants DishHD Absolute.

Absolute already has it's issues ... primarily the lack of HD RSNs and the inability to add nearly any other programming. I believe there will be enough "encouragement" from DISH to change that kicking people off of Absolute will not be needed.

(Note that this does not apply to "upgraded" packages ... such as when AT50 changed to AT60 and then AT120. Price changes and channel additions will always affect what is offered. DirecTV has offered limited grandfathering in this area ... DISH has offered "price guarantees" that have applied to all customers (not just grandfathered) taking a package. One should expect some changes in packages over time.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.