DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Icon
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Played a lot tonight with the latest update... new skip.. 4x FF etc... just love it!

Almost perfect now...

Just a few more issues... missed recordings (?) and audio dropouts and of course OTA.

Everyone happy?

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
This one is certainly much faster. Love the speed of the Slip, and alost everything else seems to work faster and more smoothly. Not quite done yet (Dual Live Buffers? :D), but getting very close.

Kudos to all involved!

·
Godfather
261 Posts
I agree this update rocks. Now all they need is Dual buffers, OTA, home networking, advanced wish list, search tweeks("the" before title) and most of all bullet proof reliability. I know I'm greedy, I just want more then trick plays that work great.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
We probably won't ever see dual live buffers. You can quit holding your breath on that one.:D

I'm happy with mine but I've already seen one posting that said something to the effect - the last 2 updates are screwing up my HR20, this is a POS, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... :rolleyes:

·
Icon
777 Posts
I would say nowhere near perfect. The problem with unplayable/BSOD recordings is a HUGE black mark against the box. How can one even consider saying the box is near perfect when it can't even reliably perform it's most basic functions - record and playback?

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
dervari said:
I would say nowhere near perfect. The problem with unplayable/BSOD recordings is a HUGE black mark against the box. How can one even consider saying the box is near perfect when it can't even reliably perform it's most basic functions - record and playback?
Since I've never had a BSOD/unplayable or a partial recording, and I've only had one odd deletion in a month of heavy-duty use, I think "near perfect" is a good description. If it records my HD Superfan game properly on Sunday, I'll upgrade that. :)

·
Legend
203 Posts
LameLefty said:
Since I've never had a BSOD/unplayable or a partial recording, and I've only had one odd deletion in a month of heavy-duty use, I think "near perfect" is a good description. If it records my HD Superfan game properly on Sunday, I'll upgrade that. :)
True. I have not had those problems either so I am extremely happy with this update.

·
Icon
797 Posts
The trick plays are much smoother now. This update has really imporved the skipping of commercials for me and that was my biggest remaining gripe. Sweet!

Sorry to those that have other issues, but this update has really made me more comfortable with the fact that I sold my HR10 this week.

Xaa

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
LameLefty said:
Update went just fine, and my experience is identical to LameLefty's...except I think he has MPEG-4's and I don't. I sure would like to know what the breakdown is between those who do and don't have MPEG-4/HD-Locals. The impression I get is there are many more problems for those with MPEG-4, but I'm not a big fan of "impressions". Maybe someone will construct a poll to look at just those two variables isolated in the data (as much as one can)

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Yep, I do have MPEG4 locals (CSI looked good last night - local CBS has definitely improved over the last few weeks) - out of Nashville.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
hasan said:
Update went just fine, and my experience is identical to LameLefty's...except I think he has MPEG-4's and I don't. I sure would like to know what the breakdown is between those who do and don't have MPEG-4/HD-Locals. The impression I get is there are many more problems for those with MPEG-4, but I'm not a big fan of "impressions". Maybe someone will construct a poll to look at just those two variables isolated in the data (as much as one can)
Yup. Got the update and the HR20 is rockin, but it was before the update also. But atleast it did not cause a problem :)

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
Totally agree! After playing with the new software last night and this morning, I would have to give a big thumbs up to the trick play and overall speed of navigating the menus. Much much better!

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
So far so good for me as well. 30-second slip is faster/smoother. I have only had a couple partial recordings (about 3 weeks ago). We'll see how the weekend goes.

I would still like the live dual buffer capability to be there eventually. Or at least the workaround for it (record on both tuners and pause/go to other tuner). I've had trouble with that in the past where it takes me to live instead of where I was paused. We'll give it another try this weekend.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
slaz55 said:
Is there any physical reason dual buffers cannot be added? This seems like a no-brainer.
No physical reason (as the unit does have two tuners, and a fast enough I/O bus)... it is a software change.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
glennb said:
We probably won't ever see dual live buffers. You can quit holding your breath on that one.:D

I'm happy with mine but I've already seen one posting that said something to the effect - the last 2 updates are screwing up my HR20, this is a POS, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... :rolleyes:
I mentioned this a month and a half ago when I joined the board: When I was sold on the HR20 by a VERY knowledgeable CSR, I was told that dual live buffers is on the action item list. I'm not so naive as to think he wouldn't just "say" that, but he did at least sound pretty sincere, and he was well aware of this forum. He in fact was a TIVO fan, and that was why he claimed to be so knowledgeable about the development process on this box - he had been following it closely.

So I've been waiting and hoping - and yearning for D* to make some kind of official statement about whether or not this is on the TO DO list.

Earl - any comment on this?

·
AllStar
88 Posts
:) My box continues to be stable so far through all updates. The latest update is by far the best. I have mpeg 4 locals that show and record flawlessly. Only minor issue is still the lack of a working caller id. Hopefully my good luck with this box will continue. Nice work D*

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
My HR20 is over a month old with no issues. I really like the enhanced trick play from the new update.

I am running a 3 lnb dish and component inputs to a 61" Sony 4x3 HD set.

This afternoon I am finally scheduled to get the 5LNB dish installed. I will see if putting the MPEG-4 locals into the mix changes anything.

·
Godfather
253 Posts
I'm Lovin' it !! I think thats McDonalds ;) I thing the last update is great. I have MPEG-4 locals Denver, using HDMI to Samsung 56" 1080p TV and have not had any HR20 issues. Hopefully we are in the downhill run and the developers can focus on feature addition and not troubleshooting/putting out fires in the future!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.