DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had my roof redone, my satellite got thrashed in the process, I have an hr24-200 dvr, I bought a slimline swm sl3s4nr2-01 and I can't get it to work, do I need a power insert for that to work?

My friend had a sl3k4nr0-02, I tried that and that also didn't work, any suggestions? It is saying it can't detect the swm, one port on the back says sat1 in swm-2 and the other is swm-1, what is the difference, which one should I plug into?

Maybe I should just pay to have someone come out, was hoping I didn't have to :(

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Yes, you need a power inserter for a SL3S.
Hook it to port 1.
Run satellite setup and select the proper dish (Slimline/SWM)
Then when it cannot find satellite, hit menu and go to the signal screen, pick a 101 transponder, and start aiming.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about the sl3k4nr0-02, my friend said I could have it, what would I select for that, so I don't have to buy the power insert, is there a benefit to the one I bought with a power insert vs. the other?

My old one just had 3 connections inputs, I only used one, I had a wire running to another room if I wanted to hook it up, which I would like to do in the future I think.

· Hall Of Fame
1,128 Posts
"ibjames" said:
what about the sl3k4nr0-02, my friend said I could have it, what would I select for that, so I don't have to buy the power insert, is there a benefit to the one I bought with a power insert vs. the other?

My old one just had 3 connections inputs, I only used one, I had a wire running to another room if I wanted to hook it up, which I would like to do in the future I think.
In the sat setup select SL3 and multiswitch.

Kevin

· 1*
9,917 Posts
Just be advised that if you go with a non-SWM dish that you will need two coax cables to your DVR for full functionality. With a SWM dish, you only need one coax, although as mentioned, you also need a PI.

- Merg

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty technical, so I think I can do it, I downloaded a satellite pointing app, does anyone know what the satellite name is? I have two that I think it might be,
101.13w directv 9s | 4s
100.85w directv 8

from what I remember, my satellite seemed to be pointed in there general direction, anyone know which way I should be pointing for san diego? I think it was pointed south east. Its funny the things you don't pay attention to until you have to do it then you wish you did pay attention :(

I'm ordered a power inserter, when that comes in I'll get to pointing again :D

· Registered
12,607 Posts
ibjames said:
I'm pretty technical, so I think I can do it, I downloaded a satellite pointing app, does anyone know what the satellite name is? I have two that I think it might be,
101.13w directv 9s | 4s
100.85w directv 8

from what I remember, my satellite seemed to be pointed in there general direction, anyone know which way I should be pointing for san diego? I think it was pointed south east. Its funny the things you don't pay attention to until you have to do it then you wish you did pay attention :(

I'm ordered a power inserter, when that comes in I'll get to pointing again :D
101ºW, so either of those sats is close enough for the initial aiming. You can also look up your specific dish's azimuth, elevation and tilt settings at http://www.dishpointer.com. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.