DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Legend
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn I really miss those comforting beeps and boops from my old TIVO unit. Any idea when the sound effects will be activated on the HR20?

·
AllStar
57 Posts
deebeeeff said:
Damn I really miss those comforting beeps and boops from my old TIVO unit. Any idea when the sound effects will be activated on the HR20?
Please say your kidding!!

·
Godfather
372 Posts
deebeeeff said:
I'm with you. I'd like to see the sound effects activated. How hard can that be?

·
Legend
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
smolenski said:
Please say your kidding!!
Nay I kid you not! I found them quite useful!

·
Legend
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PoitNarf said:
Most likely not before OTA.
Yes, I would prefer OTA first. Maybe.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Those were always the first thing I turn off. My parents still have them on and they annoy me to no end.

·
Legend
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mtnagel said:
Those were always the first thing I turn off. My parents still have them on and they annoy me to no end.
Your parents annoy you to no end?
Hmmm, you might want to kill them. That usually works.:D :lol: :nono:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Options are always good.

I love suggestions. Some hate them, so they turn them off.

I love the audible response (the R15 can be very slow and so I'm always guessing whether the first button push "took"). Some hate them, so they can turn them off.

I hate the Picture In Guide (spoiler problem). Some love it. Guess what? I can't turn it off.

·
Godfather
314 Posts
The sound effects are nice for the time that you hit a button and then nothing happens for a few seconds. At least with the sound effects you know it registered the button press. Without them, I find myself pressing multiple times and then skipping through menus.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
davidord said:
I'm with you. I'd like to see the sound effects activated. How hard can that be?
Harder then you might think.

Since a LOT Of the content played on HD receivers is Dolby Digital based.
The HR20 would need some audio encoding software/hardware to insert those beeps and bongs into the DD 5.1 audio stream.

I don't know of any DVR out there, that has audio effects when working with one of the Dolby Digital streams.

·
Legend
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Earl Bonovich said:

The HR20 would need some audio encoding software/hardware to insert those beeps and bongs into the DD 5.1 audio stream.

I don't know of any DVR out there, that has audio effects when working with one of the Digital Audio streams.
Uh, then why do they have a grayed out sound effects tab?
I was also told by a D* rep that the beeps and boops would eventually return.:nono2: :balloons:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

I don't know of any DVR out there, that has audio effects when working with one of the Digital Audio streams.
The DTiVos do it on PCM over optical. But you're right, they're silent on DD.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
walters said:
The DTiVos do it on PCM over optical. But you're right, they're silent on DD.
Oops... that is what I ment... I corrected the original post.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
deebeeeff said:
Uh, then why do they have a grayed out sound effects tab?
I was also told by a D* rep that the beeps and boops would eventually return.
Same reason there is a sound effects tab on the DTivos...
So you can turn them off if you want to..

However, I expect that they have them turned off to avoid any Dolby Digital audio issues... (aka... taking something out of the equation, until they can put it back in)

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
I don't hate the TiVo sound effects.
It's hard to believe someone could HATE a beep and boop sound.
:rolleyes:

On the other hand I don't really miss the sound effects when I use the HR20.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
I also hope they get them working soon. Of course they should be optional, but for me they provide feedback to indicate that a command has been received - especially useful when they're a lag in responding to the command.

Why don't they take the same approach as with the DirecTiVos? Just enable them when possible... I don't see them ever getting a good solution to inserting sound effects into a Dolby Digital stream.

If they were enabled over the analog outs and over PCM digital, I think most people would be happy. At least *I* would. :D

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
I'd also like to see thwm switched on. Even with them not working in DD my wife and I have become very accustomed to them. So much so that the remote controll is now refered to as the 'bloop' 'bloop'. :lol:

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
I can't imagine we'd ever see (hear) sound effects when the unit is outputting DD audio. Even aside from the fact that the box probably couldn't handle it, the processing that would be required would delay the audio.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.