DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Legend
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an HR20 to replace my R10 in my bedroom mainly for the ability to record in hd. After reading about some of the bugs and the fact that people are having missed or partial recordings, I'm really starting to think I might have made the wrong decision. How reliable is the HR20 and what can I expect as far as missed or partial recordings go? I'd really like to give the HR20 a shot, but not if it means missing recordings.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Welcome to the forums, from an expatriate Packer Fan. :welcome_s

I have been very vocal that the HR20 is not yet ready for prime time, but I've also acknowledged that there are some very good features. And I still believe that it will be a solid unit, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I would suggest you do what I and several others have done, keep the R10 online as a backup until you are totally certain the HR20 is solid in your environment. Besides, an R10 and HR20 make for DVRs on both sources of Picture in Picture. :)

Cheers,
Tom

·
AllStar
74 Posts
I think you may be okay. I have had only one issue that may or may not be fixed, I haven't checked. That is a manually reocurring recording populated my to do list and recorded a lot of things I didn't want. I just do single recordings for that program every week and it's not a problem. Other than that the HR20 has been a good unit for me. I think there is a good chance you will have good results and be satisfied with your order.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
When you get your unit, let it upgrade to the latest firmware, then do a complete format before you start setting up recordings.

If possible don't use autorecords or manual recordings, but instead choose to do a single recording or a series link from within the guide.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
fochs13 said:
I ordered an HR20 to replace my R10 in my bedroom mainly for the ability to record in hd. After reading about some of the bugs and the fact that people are having missed or partial recordings, I'm really starting to think I might have made the wrong decision. How reliable is the HR20 and what can I expect as far as missed or partial recordings go? I'd really like to give the HR20 a shot, but not if it means missing recordings.
Can't promise, but chances are that things will go fine for you. Lots of people have problems, but lots of people also have no problems. I had one or two partial recordings a couple of versions back, but haven't had any in forever. Not to say that there aren't some occasional frustrations - and some things that really just piss me off - but for the most part you'll find that you really like it.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
Mine has been near flawless since the get go. I think you have a 75% it will work pretty well and about 50% that it will be near perfect. Just guessing from one of the polls I read. If you get one of the good ones, you should be happy. Good luck.

·
AllStar
58 Posts
I have had my HR-20 for just a few weeks but so far absolutely no problems recording. Now, I only record by finding a program in the guide and setting up a one-time recording or a series link, nothing fancy or too difficult for the machine. I have had everything recorded that I have asked it to record.

The only problem I did have was the component connection to my Sony KDS-60A2000 produced a very green image when the machine rebooted and I couldn't always get it fixed by unplugging and plugging back in the component cable. I switched to an HDMI connection and things have been perfect.

·
Legend
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Meklos said:
When you get your unit, let it upgrade to the latest firmware, then do a complete format before you start setting up recordings.

If possible don't use autorecords or manual recordings, but instead choose to do a single recording or a series link from within the guide.
How do I let it upgrade the latest firmware? Is it done through the satelite or through the phone line?

·
Legend
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bobsloop said:
I have had my HR-20 for just a few weeks but so far absolutely no problems recording. Now, I only record by finding a program in the guide and setting up a one-time recording or a series link, nothing fancy or too difficult for the machine.
I've got about 50 or so season passes set up on my r10. Would I be able to do something similar on the hr-20 or is that too complicated for it?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
fochs13 said:
How do I let it upgrade the latest firmware? Is it done through the satelite or through the phone line?
All updates are done over sat (which I like because it doesn't tie up my line).

Welcome to the forums!

Go Lions. :D

·
AllStar
58 Posts
I have 14 series links setup so far and I have not had a problem. I don't know if the number is an issue or how you select to record them. From what I have read here it sounds like people have had problems when they try to record shows based on a search term but I could be wrong about that. All of mine were selected by finding them in the guide or searching by title and then selecting to record. I get the impression that you could have problems if you try to have it record anything with "Chiefs" in the program name. I haven't tried this so I can't speak about that.

·
Legend
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I do decide to go through with the installation and I'm not satisfied, how difficult is it to either get the unit replaced or have directv take it back completely?

·
Legend
189 Posts
We've currently on our 3rd unit (the first 2 were absolutely intolerable with missed/partial recordings). Number 3 was working pretty well until the recent "update," and it's now started "skipping" some series-link recordings again.

Not nearly as bad as the first 2 however; it probably records perfectly about 75% of the time (an estimate).

But when it does screw up/miss a recording, it always seems to be one of my shows.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
146 Posts
fochs13 said:
It should do this when you first set it up, mine did. The performance of the Hr20 has been real inconsistent, many have had issues, while many others have not. You can keep your r10 running as back up so you don't miss your favorite shows. I did this with my Hr10.

·
Godfather
440 Posts
Marcia_Brady said:
We've currently on our 3rd unit (the first 2 were absolutely intolerable with missed/partial recordings). Number 3 was working pretty well until the recent "update," and it's now started "skipping" some series-link recordings again.

Not nearly as bad as the first 2 however; it probably records perfectly about 75% of the time (an estimate).

But when it does screw up/miss a recording, it always seems to be one of my shows.
Did you ever consider it's not the hr20 that's not recording them? ;)

·
Godfather
271 Posts
Dude,

Wait!

I bit early and am sucked in for 2 years. I pray they fix it but only can wish at this point. If I really would have understood the issues I would have saved up $499 more and switched to Cable and Series 3 TIVO. This thing is out way to early and they should have spent some time with endusers finding out what needed to work out of the box.

Good Luck

·
Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
fochs13 said:
One thing to take into account. I believe that the number of people experiencing problems is not as great as one might think reading through these boards. It's been mentioned by the moderators that there has been a large influx of new users in the last several months. A good number of those are attributable to the HR20. And of those new users, I would imagine the majority of them are here BECAUSE they're experiencing problems.

So if 1 out of 4 on these boards are experiencing major issues, the number in the grand scheme of things might be 1 in 10 or something of that nature. (And for those of you number hounds, I'm just pulling numbers out of my rear. Maybe its 1 in 7, maybe it's 1 in 20. I don't know. But if it's 1 in 4 here, I'd put money up that it's not 1 in 4 across ALL installations).

And, as many have said, keept the R10 running for a while until you're comfortable with the HR20. If your HR20 misbehaves, you'll have the R10. I will say though that I replaced an old Hughes DVR40, and I did NOT keep it running as a backup. I've been fortunate enough to have NO problems to this point, so it may very well be that you'll have the R10 put away before you know it...

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
If you go with the HR20, here are a few things to consider.

HDMI
- Going to Component has solved problems for some.
Autorecord (Wishlists)
- Some feel Autorecords caused problems for them. --- Series Link - Good
Search
bad (broken, takes you to channels you don't get)
Padding
- Seems to not work or to have caused crashes for some.
Native Mode
- May cause a slow channel response for you.
Parental Controls
- Broken in My Playlist, works in Guide, so they are useless. Go figure.
Channels I Get
- Doesn't work - Promised on p. 31.
Search
Broken - tries to get you to record channels you can't get!
Guide Button
Surprise! - it doesn't go to GUIDE as shown on p. iv!
LIST Button
Doesn't remember where you left off
I am certain all of these things will get better. I love the HD and the sound quality.

I am happy I bought an HR20 but you should know the possible adventures that await you. Check out the Installation Tips before you take the plunge. Keep your R10 running along side the HR20 until you are 100% confident. It is only $5 a month to have the R10 as your HR20's safety net.

- Craig

·
Legend
128 Posts
Sharkie_Fan said:
One thing to take into account. I believe that the number of people experiencing problems is not as great as one might think reading through these boards. It's been mentioned by the moderators that there has been a large influx of new users in the last several months. A good number of those are attributable to the HR20. And of those new users, I would imagine the majority of them are here BECAUSE they're experiencing problems.

So if 1 out of 4 on these boards are experiencing major issues, the number in the grand scheme of things might be 1 in 10 or something of that nature. (And for those of you number hounds, I'm just pulling numbers out of my rear. Maybe its 1 in 7, maybe it's 1 in 20. I don't know. But if it's 1 in 4 here, I'd put money up that it's not 1 in 4 across ALL installations).

And, as many have said, keept the R10 running for a while until you're comfortable with the HR20. If your HR20 misbehaves, you'll have the R10. I will say though that I replaced an old Hughes DVR40, and I did NOT keep it running as a backup. I've been fortunate enough to have NO problems to this point, so it may very well be that you'll have the R10 put away before you know it...
I would say more than 1 out of 10 are having major issues with how fast the updates are coming. If a boatload of people were not having issue the updates would not be coming almost weekly on this kind of product. Heck if people here who are tech savy are having issues I can only imagine how bad it is for the average joe who can't program the time on his VCR.

·
Legend
146 Posts
vikingguy said:
I would say more than 1 out of 10 are having major issues with how fast the updates are coming. If a boatload of people were not having issue the updates would not be coming almost weekly on this kind of product. Heck if people here who are tech savy are having issues I can only imagine how bad it is for the average joe who can't program the time on his VCR.
The tech savvy people are the ones who are the most vocal. The average Joe doesn't care whether HDMI works as long as they can get an image on the screen and most can using component. Heck, I'll bet many more HR20s are connected with component simply because the cables are included and the non-tech-savvy are being asked for upwards of $100 for an HDMI cable! I consider myself to be reasonably knowledgable (although tech savvy may be a stretch), and have had relatively few problems with the box. I'll be the first to admit that I prefer the TiVo interface, but I MUCH prefer the HD locals - and I'm in a location where the only other choice to get them is E*.

The 1 in 10 guesstimate is probably pretty accurate. Remember, that's an awful lot of boxes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.