DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Godfather
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think we should start a new sticky for OTA information for those users that will need some direction. I was thinking that maybe we could use some information from our sister site AVSForum maybe just a link to this page http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=611957

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Let's wait for OTA to be turned on...then Earl can decide how we can best centralize the barrage of questions to follow. Good suggestion, though!

I can't wait...it's going to be fun. OTA is a fascinating issue, technically speaking. There is so much to do right, and an equal amount of misinformation circulating. I've been studying weak weak signal RF propagation for over 40 years and its appeal has never diminished for me.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
We will definently make good usage of our sister site (AVSForum), and their years of experience with OTA.

·
Godfather
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hasan said:
Let's wait for OTA to be turned on...then Earl can decide how we can best centralize the barrage of questions to follow. Good suggestion, though!

I can't wait...it's going to be fun. OTA is a fascinating issue, technically speaking. There is so much to do right, and an equal amount of misinformation circulating. I've been studying weak weak signal RF propagation for over 40 years and its appeal has never diminished for me.
I agree I try to read and do as much testing as I can with OTA its just amazing (when it works).

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
We will definently make good usage of our sister site (AVSForum), and their years of experience with OTA.
Yea, those guys over there are kind of scarey.;) I admit, alot of it is way over my head. Of course I haven't had a need for OTA since my old man was using them back in the 70's. We're a little bit in no man's land here. With the right atenna I [probably could pick up some channels though.

·
Legend
206 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Earl -

Carbon has a great Idea - something like antennas and local reception information pages would be great. :biggthump

Some more information would be very helpful if all users posted in every post like their signatures including:

Hardware
Antenna Make/Model
Amplified or non-amplified system (Make of amplifier/gain)
Mounting location (attic, roof etc)
Zip Code
Compass direction to transmitters (compass what is that - I lost my merit badge)
Line of sight distance to transmitters (Google maps or AntennaWeb.org info)
Stations you can receive and signal stregnth on each (if possible).

ecetra...

Just like with the HR-20 issue posts without this basic information (like MPEG2 vs MPEG 4 recording issues or TV type/connection information) trouble shooting and other help is limited.

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
AVS Forum already has excellent resources for every broadcast city in the US in the "Local HDTV Reception Forum" (http://www.avsforum.com). Pointing folks to the thread for their specific city will provide excellent support as they work with new over-the-air antennas and reception issues.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I'm very active on the Des Moines Iowa thread over on avsforum. good bunch of people, including several local station engineering types.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Our current Grand Rapids/Kzoo thread on AVS is nearly 3400 posts long dating back 2 years and the thread before that dated back 4-5 years and had thousands of posts as well.

Basically these threads have so much good info and there is one for every city plus some that can get OTA HD. You could literally post (at least in our thread) what city and street you live on and someone will post exactly what type of antenna you need to get good reception. Great helpful people and we have a couple station engineers that post from time to time as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.