DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't be charged $5 no-phone fee, if my 722 is plugged into my router, right? (connected to the internet)

just checking.... thanks! :)

·
Legend
209 Posts
Unless your connectivity isn't reliable enough. For instance, if you only have satellite connectivity, as I do, count on it not being able to get in touch with the mother ship often enough that they charge you anyway because the box concludes you must not have Internet because it's occasionally down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hunter Green said:
Unless your connectivity isn't reliable enough. For instance, if you only have satellite connectivity, as I do, count on it not being able to get in touch with the mother ship often enough that they charge you anyway because the box concludes you must not have Internet because it's occasionally down.
how often does ET have to phone home to avoid the $5 fee?
Hourly, daily, weekly? :)

thanks!:)

·
AllStar
98 Posts
My last call "home" was 5/21 and I havent been charged yet. Apparently the homeplug stopped working because it wont connect to my router. I'm not going to worry about it until they start charging me as we dont use PPV anyways.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,987 Posts
This charge no longer applies to the first receiver on your account, so If you have a 722 and one or more 211s, the connection is not necessary.

·
1 Posts
The installer that installed my system told me that the 222 had to be hooked up to an internet connection but the 722 was all right if i didn't... he didn't explain if it was because i had a 722 or if I got one free... they are both hooked up regardless after some playing around with my home network. the 222 goes directly into the router.. The 722 goes through a homeplug..

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,669 Posts
The highest zoot receiver that you have is often the primary receiver.

·
Godfather
415 Posts
Just check your bill. Took a call to E* to get them to take the fee off when I hooked mine up.

Side note, when I called they made me go through all the troubleshooting stuff like rebooting the router etc no matter how many times I told them it was connected correctly. "Mr. CSR man I can connect to the DVR from the internet" "OK let's try rebooting the router." "I can connect to 622 from the internet" "OK do you have a switch in your network? Let's bypass the switch" :eek2: No commone sense from the script readers.

·
AllStar
68 Posts
Don't be suprised if they try to sneak the connection fee on your bill even if you have it connected. I have a 722 that is connected to both broadband and phone line (for caller id) and a 322 that is connected to the phone line and on my last bill they tried to sneak in the connection fee. I've had these boxes for 2 years and have never disconnected them or had the charge before. When I called to complain, they immediately removed the charge from my bill without question and then transferred me to tech support for "troubleshooting". Of course, everything checked fine and the tech said that there must have been something wrong with the phone line when it tried to call out. My phone service and DSL has always been very reliable, so I doubt that there was a problem. Of course, anything could happen. I could win the lottery tomorrow and I'd be more than happy to pay their connection fee. Until then, I'll be watching my Dish bill very closely.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mark722 said:
I could win the lottery tomorrow and I'd be more than happy to pay their connection fee. .
Here's my theroy: !pepsi!

Inside every Dish Network receiver/DVR, there's a hidden
program that monitors your phone conversation. (and
possibly tapping into your PC to monitor incoming and
outgoing messages) The program will alert Dish Network
if it suspects that you have won the lottery. For example,
numerous phones calls to your local Lamborghini dealers
and/or private jet manufacturers. The system will
immediatealy insert a line in your monthly Dish bill and
you will start to get charged $5 per month.

For the above-mentioned reason, Dish Network must
require you to keep your receiver/DVR connected to a
phone line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.