DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking today of a good way to use the USB ports on the HR20. Little USB flash drives are common and inexpensive, so it might be nice to "copy" our settings to a USB flash drive. Then in the event of a system reformat, a new HR20, etc. we could load the settings (series links, some custom settings, etc.) from the flash drive and shave a lot of time in those instances.

Obviously the USB ports would need to be turned on, and obviously this is a very "future-ish" type of feature that will probably never be implemented, but it would be nice.

·
Legend
216 Posts
iacas said:
I was thinking today of a good way to use the USB ports on the HR20. Little USB flash drives are common and inexpensive, so it might be nice to "copy" our settings to a USB flash drive. Then in the event of a system reformat, a new HR20, etc. we could load the settings (series links, some custom settings, etc.) from the flash drive and shave a lot of time in those instances.

Obviously the USB ports would need to be turned on, and obviously this is a very "future-ish" type of feature that will probably never be implemented, but it would be nice.
I would be happy if it saved all my settings and guide data after a reboot.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
iacas said:

Considering they "reserve" 100GB on the disk for the system software, they should already offer this with the space they reserve. It would also be useful if you could rebuild certain system databases in case they were corrupted instead of formatting.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
I think I would love this feature. From time to time I could backup my settings to mirror to another unit in the house or to protect me in case of HDD failure and D* sends a new one out.

Cheers,
Tom

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tibber said:
I think I would love this feature. From time to time I could backup my settings to mirror to another unit in the house or to protect me in case of HDD failure and D* sends a new one out.

Cheers,
Tom
Exactly. Portability is a key option.

These settings are stored in SOME sort of database, so it's likely that database has import and export capabilities. Even the smallest (reasonable) flash drive (128 MB?) should have enough space to store the essential settings. I don't know about things like guide data, but Series Links, searches, and basic settings should fit without much problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.