DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thought as I read through this forum.. an Idea for a new DirecTV programming package.

I have the Premier package with HD and the HD extra package.

What I would like to have is the same package.. without any channels whose sole purpose is sports programming.. and of course an appropriate discount to account for it.

Having been born without the "sports gene" and lacking any interest whatsoever this idea appeals to me and my wallet. I know that some of the sports channels are extremely expensive for DirecTV (ESPN).

I acknowledge the fact that DirecTV's claim to fame is their sports programming, but for me it is there hardware, their signal and picture quality and the service I have had from them for the last 14 years.

I realize that this is unlikely in the extreme, but I bet I am not the only one out there who would take advantage of such a package if it were available and we could save money by using it.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
JDubbs413 said:
Really they should have packages where you can pick and choose what channels you want. I know that gets too confusing and hard to price but that would be pretty cool.
The only bad problem with that is, many times it is more expensive than full packages. When packages are already set up, a CSR can change your package with the click of a mouse. When you buy channels ala carte it takes a lot more time and work to select and set up programing.

When I had my C-Band system, you could buy packages or ala carte programing to get only the stations you wanted. Depending on the programing you wanted you could end up paying more for ala cart channels, than if you took a package with all the channels you wanted.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,763 Posts
loudo said:
The only bad problem with that is, many times it is more expensive than full packages. When packages are already set up, a CSR can change your package with the click of a mouse. When you buy channels ala carte it takes a lot more time and work to select and set up programing.

When I had my C-Band system, you could buy packages or ala carte programing to get only the stations you wanted. Depending on the programing you wanted you could end up paying more for ala cart channels, than if you took a package with all the channels you wanted.
That was my experience too. If you only bought about 10 channels it cost just as much as a package including those channels.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,459 Posts
So you want the acknowledged leader in sports programming to provide a sports-free package?:eek2: :nono2: :confused:

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Newshawk said:
So you want the acknowledged leader in sports programming to provide a sports-free package?:eek2: :nono2: :confused:
Sure, they are also the leader in HD, and at least in my opinion, technologically the leader.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,426 Posts
jcricket said:
How about taking a page from (gasp) Dish's playbook and offering an HD only package?
I'd totally subscribe to that.
With that you should still get all locals SD and HD + RSN's.

All of the free channels.

all mix channels.

all on demand

the SD ver of the HD channels that you get.

All HBO, STARS, SHO, MAX that you pay more for.

·
AllStar
79 Posts
LarryFlowers said:
I had a thought as I read through this forum.. an Idea for a new DirecTV programming package.

What I would like to have is the same package.. without any channels whose sole purpose is sports programming.. and of course an appropriate discount to account for it.

Having been born without the "sports gene" and lacking any interest whatsoever this idea appeals to me and my wallet. I know that some of the sports channels are extremely expensive for DirecTV (ESPN).

I acknowledge the fact that DirecTV's claim to fame is their sports programming, but for me it is there hardware, their signal and picture quality and the service I have had from them for the last 14 years.

I realize that this is unlikely in the extreme, but I bet I am not the only one out there who would take advantage of such a package if it were available and we could save money by using it.
+1
Seems like everytime we get a new channel it has something to do with sports. I'm probably the only person around who had no idea what an "RSN" was until I selected one. Now I just wonder why there are so many. Thankfully we have something called a "favorite channels" list.

·
AllStar
92 Posts
LarryFlowers said:

I can see what is in it for you but, what is in it for D*? I think the only way they'd be willing to do the above is if it incresed revenue. To me it looks like it would be a money loser.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hell, I'd even settle for Premier at the same price that includes HD and DVR fees. I can always not have the sports channels in my favorites.

I dropped to the HD/DVR plus and saved $45 per month, since those fees were included. I didn't watch the movie channels that often, so DVD's supplanted that, and I never watched the sports channels. I'd be willing to pay $30 permonth for the movie channels, but $45 is way too much.

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
They would probably have to rework contracts with ESPN (see how well that is going on ESPNU). ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNews are in every package except the Family package. And they want to be. And they are among the most expensive (and not having at least the basic ESPNs is suicide in this business).

In short, unless they go full a la carte, I don't see it happening.

I doubt the others have the same impact that ESPN does.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,438 Posts
LarryFlowers said:
Sure, they are also the leader in HD, and at least in my opinion, technologically the leader.
What good is technology if it won't reliably record the shows you want and they spend much of their resources chasing after sports exclusives for less than 20% of their customer base?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,438 Posts
jcricket said:
How about taking a page from (gasp) Dish's playbook and offering an HD only package?
I'd totally subscribe to that.
There are a few key channels missing from the DISH all-HD offering that might be show stoppers. Some of them show no signs of being converted to HD any time soon.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
harsh said:
What good is technology if it won't reliably record the shows you want and they spend much of their resources chasing after sports exclusives for less than 20% of their customer base?
2 Perfectly functioning DVR's and they have not missed a recording in so long I can't remember. I just checked both my DVR's as they will be extremely busy tonight... 4 shows being recorded as I speak, all started on time as scheduled. I have 12 full hours of Prime time recording scheduled this evening and I bet I don't miss any of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.