DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 11 years as a Directv customer, I've had it. I'm leaving Directv and going to the Dish network. All because of the idiots of the install industry...Michigan Microtech.

I bought my HR20 at Best Buy nearly a month ago. Since that time I've waited, and waited and waited for good old MM (Directv's sub-contractors for SE Michigan) to come out and put up the new dish. After MM call to confirm the install appointment the night before, MM call the morning of the appointment and tell me they have to reschedule for that afternoon, because they have no techs. I point out that they confirmed the appointment the night before, to which the smug little wench I was dealing with informs me, that was from the Grand Rapids office, she's from the Novi office, so that confirmation call "doesn't really count". WHAT?????????

So I call Directv, express my displeasure, and point out that the incompetence of their installers would now force me to take an entire day off work. Directv calls MM, then calls me back and tells me my install will happen between 4-6pm, or "probably earlier". Would I like 3 free months of Starz? NO, I just want my month long scheduled, confirmed the night before install done in a timely and professional manner.

Around 3:30pm, a giggling MM represenative calls and let's me know that I won't be installed after all because no tech has the proper equipment, besides it's getting late. But if I'm really lucky, they may be able to fit me in sometime in mid November. Not acceptable, I tell them I want someone at my home first thing the next morning...to which they laugh and say that's impossible. Again I call Directv, tell them I'm minutes away from terminating my account unless they get their flying monkey installers in line, and I'm promised the situation will be rectified. Cue the sound of crickets chirping, because I never hear from Directv again...although I do see on-line that my appointment has been rescheduled for a day and time I won't be available.

So I call Dish network....where they offer to give me a ViP622 and free install. Sounds good, but before I walk away from Directv I want to give them one more chance to make things right. I call and talk to a completely bored Customer Retention rep who makes absolutely no effort to keep my business...despite my years with Directv and the fact I've referred six family/friend members to their company. So I politely ask for the mailing address of the company president, should I decide to share my experience and possibly pursue action in small claims court to recoup my lost wages, and all of a sudden I get a couple of e-mails from D* telling me how concerned they are. Too little....too late. :mad:

Here's a new slogan for D*....More like Comcast Everyday!

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
I feel for you. I'd suggest calling retention directly or call the main line and talk with retention. At least they usually give out the credits like candy in these situations.

Actually my experience with Michigan Microtech was quite good. This was in SW Michigan though. My appointment was originally on a Saturday from 10-12noon. About 11:30 I get a call saying the tech is way behind but should be there by 4. Great I think. I have a bad feeling. They call again around 3:30 and say the tech is just finishing up and should be there around 4:30. Ok, that makes me feel a bit better but I'm still leary. Tech calls me right around 4 and asks for directions he's on his way. Awesome.

What I liked is that MM kept me informed throughout the day. I didn't like waiting all day but at least they showed up. Tech showed up about 4:45 and was there until about 6:15 or so. What I liked about him is despite it being late in the day he wasn't in a hurry and wanted to do the job right.

Anyway, I know that doesn't help but sounds like in SE Mi that branch kinda sucks. Either that or I got really lucky.

I wish you luck. And yea, Dish won't be any better. Many have left Dish because of really bad customer service so you get screwed no matter what it seems these days.

·
Mentor
42 Posts
I live in SE Michigan & have install tomorrow (gulp). I also have been a Directv customer for over 10 years. I must say that the worst expierences over the years has to be with Directv installers. The equipment really has been flawless (HR20??), but your rolling the dice with installers. Some are AWESOME while others are just fricken HORRIBLE & NASTY. I'm just praying for one of the good guys tomorrow.

I know your P'd off but I've found Directv ALWAYS tried to help when needed more so then most any other company. That's just my experience of course which is why I'm still a customer so don't give up yet I'm sure they want to help you out anyway they can expectally w/ you dedication over the years with the company. Good luck........

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the empathy...but the deed is done. After 11 years with D*, I officially became an E* customer on 10-28.

E* - Free HD DVR, free install in two business days, free activation with 18 month committment, comparable HD content and monthly fee, and three free months of a premium movie channel.

D* - $250 for HD DVR, free install in a month, or two, or whenever Michigan Microtech bothers to show up, two year committment, and free three months of Starz, but only because two install appointments were cancelled. Did I mention the $200 dollars in lost wages, just sitting at home waiting for no- show installers?

My main complaint with D* has always been the unreliable company they use in SE Michigan to perform their install work. I went thru a nearly identical install fiasco four years ago with the same company, and was in no mood to repeat the ordeal. In fairness, I did give D* three opportunities to "make things right", and all I got was one pretend supervisor, a supervisor who never followed up, and a customer retention rep who sounded like she was minutes away from her morning break and just wanted me off the phone.

I did get a chuckle when I returned the HR20 to Best Buy and the clerk asked me what the problem with the unit was. I replied I didn't know, it never got out of the box, I just couldn't get Directv out to install it. With a straight face, she looked at me and said "what a shocker".

So I'm leaving the devil I know, for the one I don't. I'll keep my fingers crossed and the holy water at the ready!:rolleyes:

·
Banned
614 Posts
fuzzypiggy said:
Appreciate the empathy...but the deed is done. After 11 years with D*, I officially became an E* customer on 10-28.

E* - Free HD DVR, free install in two business days, free activation with 18 month committment, comparable HD content and monthly fee, and three free months of a premium movie channel.
I guess we will see you in the Dish forums now. Keep us posted to how it's going for you. Good luck.:)

·
Mentor
42 Posts
fuzzypiggy said:
D* - $250 for HD DVR, free install in a month, or two, or whenever Michigan Microtech bothers to show up, two year committment, and free three months of Starz, but only because two install appointments were cancelled. Did I mention the $200 dollars in lost wages, just sitting at home waiting for no- show installers?
I think your problems could have been avoided if you contacted Directv for the HR20 (free or $99) plus programing discounts & credits. But who knows if they blow me off tomorrow I could be right behind you.

·
4 Posts
Dish is probably using the same tech's any way... Your best bet would be to wait it out & try to get an installer doing their first job of the day & hit D*TV up for some free stuff -they are giving out pay-per-view coupons & free showtime for customers that have been rescheduled & otherwise dicked around. -D* actually has a better customer satisfaction rate than Dish as well as a better product & way better programming choices. The HR20 & the 5-sat dish have become a huge undertaking for D*TV & all of their installation people & it will be a while before things get back to normal. Don't make a decision & get into a contract with dish because you're pissed off at some nit-wit working in a call center for 8 bucks an hour... DX

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Well, I'm in the same boat with SE Michigan Microtech....cancelled 3 times now and Nov. 29th is the next date. When I called retention to cancel the HR20 and just get a standard HD receiver, the nearest install was DEC 22nd.....I, of course, DIDN'T accpet that and await impatiently till the 29th. I am, however, calling MM EVERY morning and asking for install cancellations....they are just laughing at me now, but, I am getting the SAME person each call, and believe me, I will be laughing at her when she knows me by first name in a week, and actually misses talking to me after the install eventually happens...lol
TheYoke

·
Mentor
42 Posts
Had my HR20 system installed today and all seems to be OK. Installer was very green, only 8 months on the job, didn't know sh** about HR20 system, didn't even know diff. between HDMI, DVI or component connections. But amazingly he got her up and running.
HDMI connection did NOT work at all (could not get a signal) had to use components. Any suggestions regarding HDMI connection or do I have to wait for software upgrade??

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
TheYoke said:
Well, I'm in the same boat with SE Michigan Microtech....cancelled 3 times now and Nov. 29th is the next date. When I called retention to cancel the HR20 and just get a standard HD receiver, the nearest install was DEC 22nd.....I, of course, DIDN'T accpet that and await impatiently till the 29th. I am, however, calling MM EVERY morning and asking for install cancellations....they are just laughing at me now, but, I am getting the SAME person each call, and believe me, I will be laughing at her when she knows me by first name in a week, and actually misses talking to me after the install eventually happens...lol
TheYoke
Did they tell you why they cancelled - was it that they didn't have the box, or were they running behind?

·
7 Posts
I left D* because of MM, 5 missed appointments and the Mpeg 4 equipment problems the lack of HD programing. D* did not care. Its was getting to the point that I was begging them to provide me good service. No more

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.