DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Icon
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran my updates a couple of days ago and wound up with IE7. So far I'm not too impressed. I don't like the idea that you are forced into have a search engine all the time. Has anyone figured out how to avoid the search function?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I have it at home... on my main system, and it runs great.

I haven't installed it at work, as I have to develope websites for the users. And the decision hasn't been made if we are going to upgrade all the desktops to IE7...

I don't usually search with the search option in IE, so can't help you there.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Have installed and never have like IE previously but have found myself using it more than mozilla firefox. I dont use the search options in IE myself so cant say anything about that. But I do have a friend who likes it because of the customization of where you can search from.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
I've been using IE7 since the first private beta was leaked about a year and a half ago. I don't quite understand what you mean by 'forced to have a search engine all the time'. Are you talking about the seach bar on the top right?

·
Icon
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve Mehs said:
I've been using IE7 since the first private beta was leaked about a year and a half ago. I don't quite understand what you mean by 'forced to have a search engine all the time'. Are you talking about the seach bar on the top right?
Yup that's the one.............is there a way not to have it?

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
I always hated those things. Yahoo.com has been my home page for the past 11 years, all I have to do is click on the 'Home' button if I want to search for something. I actually find this useful now. Go figure. Anyhow to remove it, it's a very simple process

Start->Run->type in gpedit.msc
Expand 'User Configuration'
Then go to 'Administrative Templates'
Then 'Windows Components'
Then 'Internet Explorer'

In the right hand pane, find the setting for 'Prevent the Internet Explorer Search Box from displaying' Right click on it. Select 'Properties' and change the value from 'Not Configured' to 'Enable'.

I haven't found a way to get rid of it but you can choose which search engine it uses as default.
Yess you can. I set mine to gahooyoogle.com (thanks Nick :))

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Here's a screen shot of what it should look like.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.