DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i cancel my Directv account at my current address, can I sign up as a new customer at my new address? I read that the accounts were linked by address. I'm through my contract at my current address?

If that doesn't work, can my girlfriend signup pay the $50 first month fee for bad credit and put my credit card on file for the autodrafts?

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish? Depending on your package, if you're successful, you may end up with fewer channels. Is it just for new customer discounts? I don't believe you can be considered a new customer. Your girlfriend may have to pay a deposit, and not qualify for the second year promotion. You'd also lose your current equipment.

Personally, I'd just use the Mover's Connection.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dpeters11 said:
What are you trying to accomplish? Depending on your package, if you're successful, you may end up with fewer channels. Is it just for new customer discounts? I don't believe you can be considered a new customer. Your girlfriend may have to pay a deposit, and not qualify for the second year promotion. You'd also lose your current equipment.

Personally, I'd just use the Mover's Connection.
second year promotion? I never got any second year promotion. My billjumped from like $47.91 a month to almost $85 at the 1 yr mark.

And it isn't a deposit. The $50 is applied towards the first months bill. And lose my current equipment? So, They would give me new equipment. LOL!

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
unteagle said:
second year promotion? I never got any second year promotion. My billjumped from like $47.91 a month to almost $85 at the 1 yr mark.

And it isn't a deposit. The $50 is applied towards the first months bill. And lose my current equipment? So, They would give me new equipment. LOL!
Currently, there is a deal that includes a discount for the second year. Of course it expires tomorrow, and who knows what the new deal will be. I forgot about the expiration for some reason.

It all depends on what the credit score is, there is a possibility of a deposit more than $50. And no actual guarantee of new equipment, it is possible to get an HR22 etc. Unless you order an HMC of course, then the chances are it would be new since they are so new.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol well i know i can do the movers connection. I want a better deal though. Hell you can do it with cell phones, with cars, etc. You shop around and get a better rate. You can even do it with best buy etc. Yes they do negotiate for those who don't know.

I mean damn, I'm a customer for 10 years and you can't work with me but if i ditch your service for 2 years and you lose $2000 from me, then I come back I can resign. Makes no sense.

Makes a lot of sense to switch to dish or cable or something that doesn't have a long contract and then wait for the PLEASE COME BACK letter to start rolling in.

That's what my friend did. Ditched cable all together and got flooded with incentives to come back. Ended up paying slightly more than a new customer. Not sure if it was his programming or the equipment or what but I know he had a lower bill at least $20 a month.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Wow, I can't even get mail in rebates for delivery fees negotiated from electronics stores.

It certainly is possible to get discounts and credits from DirecTV without signing up as a new customer. First thing, are you paying the HD Access fee? You can get rid of that with autopay.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dpeters11 said:
Wow, I can't even get mail in rebates for delivery fees negotiated from electronics stores.

It certainly is possible to get discounts and credits from DirecTV without signing up as a new customer. First thing, are you paying the HD Access fee? You can get rid of that with autopay.
when i bought my last tv I went to conns first. I then went to best buy found the exact tv for more. best buy offered it for I believe 10% less(maybe 15). I then went back to cons and they knocked off another 10% and I bought from them.

Not sure what HD Acess fee is but I don't have HD programming if it is for that.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm not looking for new equipment. I'm looking to sign a new 2 year agreement with the low prices for the first year.

I know I could do it in my girlfriends name. Just wandering if I could do it in my name with a new address. But I guess I'll just go through her name.

· Hall Of Fame
3,914 Posts
The best way to find out is call, give them your name and new address. Tell them you want to sign up with one of the offers you read about. If its by name and address, they will create the order and you can schedule it for a date after you will be moving in. If they check by lets say SS#, they will probably say " I see you are already a customer. Then you will know for sure.

· Registered
24,401 Posts
unteagle said:
i'm not looking for new equipment. I'm looking to sign a new 2 year agreement with the low prices for the first year.

I know I could do it in my girlfriends name. Just wandering if I could do it in my name with a new address. But I guess I'll just go through her name.
Why don't you call in and when you tell them your debating between movers connection and going with another service, and ask them what they can offer you to keep your business. Do it nicely and see what happens.

· Godfather
440 Posts
You'll need a new name, address, and phone number to be considered a new customer. If you have a significant other and you are actually moving, this should be no problem. You can be considered a new customer without all three of these things after a period of time passes, although I don't know how long that is. If you are out of contract, you can always just cancel your service and wait for DIRECTV to try to lure you back or call and ask retention to give you the new customer deal along with a mover's connection. Don't threaten to cancel if you don't mean it. They will pull the trigger.

· Cool Member
13 Posts
unteagle said:
If i cancel my Directv account at my current address, can I sign up as a new customer at my new address? I read that the accounts were linked by address. I'm through my contract at my current address?

If that doesn't work, can my girlfriend signup pay the $50 first month fee for bad credit and put my credit card on file for the autodrafts?
You would have to use a new SS# and that would be fraud. You would also loose any account status you may have so upgrade later would cost more. since bet better credits longer with DTV what good is 1 year rebate if latter you decided need a new hd dvr and have to pay so much when if had stayed could of got it cheaper. or a Hardship base package discount when your hours get cut at work. you would be eligible for more then a newer customer.

· Godfather
279 Posts
"RudeDogs-DTV" said:
You would have to use a new SS# and that would be fraud.
It wouldn't be fraud if he signed up using his girlfriend's name and personal information. Not sure where you came up with the idea that it is "fraud" to use another consenting person's information to become a new customer.

· Large Member
4,792 Posts
sore_bluto said:
You'll need a new name, address, and phone number to be considered a new customer.
I guess there are a lot of "John Smiths" who can't be new subscribers. :lol: Or if John Smith moved out of Apt 1A and Julia Smith moved in after him would Julia be rejected? When I was "involved" it used to be name AND phone number because while there could be 2 John Smiths moving in/out of the same unit the odds of both John Smiths having the same phone number was pretty impossible. Then of course the SSN could be the final qualifier.

· Godfather
440 Posts
TBlazer07 said:
I guess there are a lot of "John Smiths" who can't be new subscribers. :lol: Or if John Smith moved out of Apt 1A and Julia Smith moved in after him would Julia be rejected? When I was "involved" it used to be name AND phone number because while there could be 2 John Smiths moving in/out of the same unit the odds of both John Smiths having the same phone number was pretty impossible. Then of course the SSN could be the final qualifier.
Your wife (same last, different fist name) is enough of a change. It isn't fraud. You can tell them what you are doing. And note, I said you must be actually moving.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.